Economy/NSX's

Given the current economy I am surprised at some of the prices for NSX's for sale on Prime right now. I would like to see a list of list price vs. sale price. This has got to be a bad time to sell anything right now. Man, there are some pricey custom cars for sale on this site lately.

Given the current economy I am surprised at some of the prices for NSX's for sale on Prime right now. I would like to see a list of list price vs. sale price. This has got to be a bad time to sell anything right now. Man, there are some pricey custom cars for sale on this site lately.

All you need to look at is how old the listing is. That will tell you that it's going to sell for far less than the asking price.

It's a buyer's market, no doubt.

All you need to look at is how old the listing is. That will tell you that it's going to sell for far less than the asking price.

It's a buyer's market, no doubt.

How much above sale price do you think people are asking? I know it is car dependent but is the markup $2k, $5K, more/less? Assume for a 2002+.

How much above sale price do you think people are asking? I know it is car dependent but is the markup $2k, $5K, more/less? Assume for a 2002+.

People can ask whatever they want. Some people are firm, some are expecting a negotiation. Some are crazy and come up with a ridiculous number because they think their car is better than it is because it's theirs. Take a look at the "high retail" prices in KBB and you'll see how high a car can be listed...:rolleyes:

I personally like to list my best price and stay firm. I don't believe in scaring away people with a high list price who might not know you're intending to negotiate. I'd rather turn people away than not have them come to the door at all. If your car is nice and the price is reasonable you will find a buyer eventually.

I feel the two things to keep in mind are the FAQ pricing chart, which is a great starting point, and the fact that mods typically fetch about 10% of their cost on the open market. People often get very defensive about the mods and love to state how much $ they have in mods...guess what--no one cares. And virtually no one will compensate you for it. The more mods a car has the less likely the car will sell at the seller's asking price. Mods make a car less appealing to most people and limit the pool of buyers generally resulting in lower prices and longer market times.

People can ask whatever they want. Some people are firm, some are expecting a negotiation. Some are crazy and come up with a ridiculous number because they think their car is better than it is because it's theirs. Take a look at the "high retail" prices in KBB and you'll see how high a car can be listed...:rolleyes:

I personally like to list my best price and stay firm. I don't believe in scaring away people with a high list price who might not know you're intending to negotiate. I'd rather turn people away than not have them come to the door at all. If your car is nice and the price is reasonable you will find a buyer eventually.

I feel the two things to keep in mind are the FAQ pricing chart, which is a great starting point, and the fact that mods typically fetch about 10% of their cost on the open market. People often get very defensive about the mods and love to state how much $ they have in mods...guess what--no one cares. And virtually no one will compensate you for it. The more mods a car has the less likely the car will sell at the seller's asking price. Mods make a car less appealing to most people and limit the pool of buyers generally resulting in lower prices and longer market times.

That is unless its mods that people will most likely do anyways, like an exhaust, and headers. but wheels will not suit everyone's taste nor will a lowered car.

I've been trying to sell my NSX for a few months now and just gave up. I have a friend trying to sell his 06 Caymen and no one is buying his either.

Decided just to keep the NSX and mod it again...i guess it worked out:tongue:

That is unless its mods that people will most likely do anyways, like an exhaust, and headers. but wheels will not suit everyone's taste nor will a lowered car.

Even I/H/E parts won't typically return their cost. True, a seller is more likely to find someone who can appreciate these mods but the vast majority of NSX buyers don't care.

We're a little biased and a little more knowledgable here on Prime but the fact is that most NSX buyers are looking for a 100% stock car. But I agree that I/H/E mods do not alienate as many potential buyers.

Suspension won't typically get you anything except less money. Again, most NSX buyers are looking for stock height/ride quality. Try selling an NSX with a $7,500 Moton suspension and see if anyone cares.

And yes, wheels are the worst for resale. If anyone is ever considering selling their car please, please retain the OEM wheels if you install AM wheels...:rolleyes:

I've been trying to sell my NSX for a few months now and just gave up. I have a friend trying to sell his 06 Caymen and no one is buying his either.

Decided just to keep the NSX and mod it again...i guess it worked out:tongue:
:eek:Holy crap, and you sold those beautiful wheels.:frown:

Even I/H/E parts won't typically return their cost. True, a seller is more likely to find someone who can appreciate these mods but the vast majority of NSX buyers don't care.

We're a little biased and a little more knowledgable here on Prime but the fact is that most NSX buyers are looking for a 100% stock car. But I agree that I/H/E mods do not alienate as many potential buyers.

Suspension won't typically get you anything except less money. Again, most NSX buyers are looking for stock height/ride quality. Try selling an NSX with a $7,500 Moton suspension and see if anyone cares.

And yes, wheels are the worst for resale. If anyone is ever considering selling their car please, please retain the OEM wheels if you install AM wheels...:rolleyes:

Very well put and matched me exactly. Although I was knowledgeable about the car and had lurked on here somewhat, was by no means an expert. I wouldn't look at a car that wasn't 100% stock. Aftermarket exhausts - no thanks as it may not be to my taste (too loud, raspy, ricey, etc). I probably eliminated 15-20 cars listed here just because of the modifications and I bet you I'm more the typical first time buyer than the regular members here.

Best advice is that if you mod the car, keep all the stock parts. If it doesn't sell with the modifications, return it to stock and sell the parts separately - you'll make more money and the car will sell faster.

I guess it all depends on where you are in life and how hard you've been hit with this financial crisis...some people can afford to sit and wait for the NSX to sell, others have to panic.

A lot of people don't really want to sell. So for the right price (to them) they can list them for as long as they want. If they sell it, fine, then they move on. If not, they continue the enjoyment.

I found this to be especially true with many 05s that I looked at before I bought.

There are plenty of people out there paying for tastefully modified cars.

Typically 25% of the cost of the modifications is practiced among people who appreciate modifications. Which is a huge portion of the market.

NSX's with normal to above average miles (80k+ miles) typically go for more modified than original examples with same miles.

Low mile cars (60k or less miles) will go for more if all original

Most Type R style mods will fetch more
I/H/E will always be worth something
Wheels if popular among NSX community will typically also be worth something.
Colors White and Silver will also fetch more typically because of rarity.

I get offers constantly through PM's in high 37K-40K range.
And mine is far from stock with 107k.

KBB, NADA and Edmunds are way off base by $10k+ on all the early 90's cars, Rx7's, Supra's, 911's, NSX's, BMW 850's, E30 M3's.

Last edited:
There are plenty of people out there paying for tastefully modified cars.

Typically 25% of the cost of the modifications is practiced among people who appreciate modifications. Which is a huge portion of the market.

I disagree that the portion of the market which appreciates mods is "huge". The vast majority of people looking to purchase the NSX are looking for a 100% stock NSX.

Sure, some sellers are able to find the right buyer and recoup most of the cost but that is extremely rare and atypical. The chances of finding a buyer that is looking for exactly the same mods that you have is extremely small. In this sense a more knowledgable buyer can actually hurt you.

For example I would be able to appreciate a Dali Rice Rocket exhaust on an NSX for sale but I know that that particular exhaust is not one that I would want so I'm not going to pay more for it than what I can sell it for used, minus hassle, which is only going to be 10-20% of its list price. If I know I'm going to have to replace the exhaust anyway it doesn't matter to me whether it's stock or not, therefore I'm going to want to pay the same price as stock, give or take the hundred or so bucks I can get for it on Ebay immediately, since I don't want it sitting in my garage while it's listed for sale on Prime for 2+ months. $100 bucks/$600 exhaust list price = seller gets 17% back on his Dali RR exhaust.

A seller simply cannot expect to recoup more than 10% of the value of any mods, period, and must understand that mods will always reduce the pool of potential buyers. I think your statistic of 25% may be accurate when the right buyer is found but finding that buyer is generally a function of how long you list the car and how much money and effort you spend on advertising. And the seller and the "right" buyer still may never cross paths! Or the car might be too far away from the "right" buyer, etc. So many variables exist that the safe assumption is going to be that mods generally hurt value and when the right buyer comes along expect to recoup 10-20% of their value. Anything else is just dumb luck.

As far as your own example, you're a known quantity and there just happens to be many potential buyers who do want exactly the same mods that you do. Also, you clearly aren't that motivated to sell and therefore your car stays on the block, so to speak, for a very long time allowing many, many people to see it and greatly increases the chances the "right" buyer will come along and you'll be able to recoup a large percentage of your mod investment. I just want to point out that your experience isn't typical of most sellers who actually want to move their car.

And BTW, KBB has greatly adjusted their values of early NSXs, possibly due to your letter writing campaign (although NADA and Edmunds is still a joke). :wink: Last I checked a week or so ago the private party value of an average mileage 91 was somewhere in the $24-26K range in KBB.

Last edited:
I disagree that the portion of the market which appreciates mods is "huge". The vast majority of people looking to purchase the NSX are looking for a 100% stock NSX.

but your opinion as well as mine on what we find typical for a buyer may also have something to do with our age, demographic & life style.

I would guesstimate 1/4 of buyers may be looking for modded cars.

Its arguable that a very good amount of tastefully modified NSX's that were not hit by a semi-truck, sell quite easily.

you say 10% of mods you get back
I said 25%...
I can agree to maybe a closer to 15% overall but
definitely sticking to 25% on very desirable items that mod bar buyers look for.
but obviously some mods aren't work di*k.

we Real estate people just like to argue minor differences don't we? :smile:

have you noticed we have allot of the same mods?? kinda funny

2002+ conversion / SAME
Type-R hood / CF regular
RPS clutch, / SAME
DC Sports headers /SAME
Dali Rice Rocket exhaust, / B&B
SOS Big-Bore Throttle Body, / OEM
Cantrell AIS, / SAME
Dali Super Hot chip / Prospeed
ZEAL fully adjustable coilover kit / Tein RE
Type-R front sway bar, / Dali track bar
Type-R chassis bars, / SAME
Dali/RB Fr.Big Brake Kit / Wilwood billet
Dali CF brake air deflectors / porsche 996 actually the SAME but not CF
Type-R shift knob/boot / SAME
Dave's short shift block / SAME
MOMO Pilota 2 steering wheel / MOMO type-R style
Eclipse custom double-din display, / SAME
Honda engine start button w/ keypad code, / NONE
Wings West sideskirts, / MARGA HILLS
Autovation race pedals, / ???
Dali coolant tank, / SAME
Dali polished coil, /SAME
injector, alternator & fusebox covers, / mine CF
Type-R engine plate / SAME

Last edited:
but your opinion as well as mine on what we find typical for a buyer may also have something to do with our age, demographic & life style.

I would guesstimate 1/4 of buyers may be looking for modded cars.

Its arguable that a very good amount of tastefully modified NSX's that were not hit by a semi-truck, sell quite easily.

you say 10% of mods you get back
I said 25%...
I can agree to maybe a closer to 15% overall but
definitely sticking to 25% on very desirable items that mod bar buyers look for.
but obviously some mods aren't work di*k.

we Real estate people just like to argue minor differences don't we? :smile:

Well, I hate real estate people but I like you, so that's a good thing. :wink:

We definitely don't disagree by much but I like to be exact--and conservative, especially for any newbies who might read the threads.

I could accept 25% of buyers looking for mods but again, not necessarily the mods you have. Mods just tend to alienate in general. I'd say if the seller's car has the exact mods the buyer is looking for then it wouldn't be out out of the question for the seller to recoup 90%+ of their cost. But that's like meeting the woman of your dreams--it happens, but rarely.

have you noticed we have allot of the same mods?? kinda funny

2002+ conversion / SAME
Type-R hood / CF regular
RPS clutch, / SAME
DC Sports headers /SAME
Dali Rice Rocket exhaust, / B&B
SOS Big-Bore Throttle Body, / OEM
Cantrell AIS, / SAME
Dali Super Hot chip / Prospeed
ZEAL fully adjustable coilover kit / Tein RE
Type-R front sway bar, / Dali track bar
Type-R chassis bars, / SAME
Dali/RB Fr.Big Brake Kit / Wilwood billet
Dali CF brake air deflectors / porsche 996 actually the SAME but not CF
Type-R shift knob/boot / SAME
Dave's short shift block / SAME
MOMO Pilota 2 steering wheel / MOMO type-R style
Eclipse custom double-din display, / SAME
Honda engine start button w/ keypad code, / NONE
Wings West sideskirts, / MARGA HILLS
Autovation race pedals, / ???
Dali coolant tank, / SAME
Dali polished coil, /SAME
injector, alternator & fusebox covers, / mine CF
Type-R engine plate / SAME

Jeez, that's wild. You do have good taste. :wink:

No one has the start button/key code though. That was an expensive custom jobbie.

Although I will be ditching my RR exhaust soon. I'm getting too old for that.

Back