Eclipse GSX Question

I recently purchased a 1995 eclipse GSX and I had some questions if there are any other eclipse owners out in nsxprime.

It seems when the turbo spools up and kicks in it is making almost like a loose sound untill it changes gear. I have done some research and found the 2nd gen eclipse's have a problem called crank walk which seems to be similar in cost to the snap ring problem in our NSXs. I also pulled the air intake tube off the turbo and felt the shaft was somewhat loose. Can anybody give me some advice or another place to get more info on these problems.

Other than that the car is rock solid. It only has 44,000 miles and I love it. After just getting over my snap ring repair I am really hoping it's at the most the turbo is shot.

Another interesting fact that I found out while researching eclipse parts: I could have bought a huge turbo upgrade for the eclipse for the same price I bought my NSX-R hood. I can't believe how much cheaper parts are for the eclipse!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
-Mike

Good cars, and definately cheaper to work on. A friend of mine has a '97 GSX he's done a bit of work on. Handles quite nice, and should run high 12's this year at the strip.

His main source of info is http://www.dsmtalk.com/ Everything you ever wanted to know about Eclipses is up there. Somewhere on the page is a link to the V-FAQ which covers nearly everything you could need to do to the car. Forum members seem to have seen about everything that'll go wrong, so quite helpful.

Mikey-

Being a '95, you might be out of crankwalk range. Most crankwalk victims are from '97 and on. That loose sound you're hearing is most likely shaft play in the turbo (that's the loose feeling when you grab the shaft and it moves back and forth and up and down). Try not to boost too much on it as the turbine fins can break off if the contact the turbine housing enough. I'd go ahead and upgrade to a T-28 or similar that is just a drop in replacement for the T-25. If you need any more help or info, please feel free to email me at [email protected] I've had my DSM ('95 GSX) for close to five years now and would be glad to share my knowledge with you. Good luck and take care.

Conor

Back