Ebay

It seems that its too risky to even think about purchasing a NSX or just about any vehicle on Ebay. Seems like every other car is a Scam from someone overseas. Not only that If I was spending the money on my dream car I would want to look at it before dropping a singe dollar on it. I guess when I get my car it will be from the forums or autotrader.

I actually wasted my time and went and looked at a few unless their prime members there probably salvage or no service history. wasted $3k traveling & looking plus time costs money.

Guy I work with won a bid that stated Keys to your dream Corvette, and got sent a blank Cheverolet Key. He complained to Ebay and Ebay did an investagation. The only thing that saved my coworker was that in the E-mails sent back and forth he said he was selling a 2001 Corvette. so he got his money back($26k I think)

Guy I work with won a bid that stated Keys to your dream Corvette, and got sent a blank Cheverolet Key. He complained to Ebay and Ebay did an investagation. The only thing that saved my coworker was that in the E-mails sent back and forth he said he was selling a 2001 Corvette. so he got his money back($26k I think)

Didn't your friend inspect the car, or at least have someone inspect it for him?:confused:

I'd buy clothes from there just fine but would never consider purchasing a car on ebay, let alone a rare car like the NSX. Even if I had some forum members check it out, it's still a subjective evaluation.

The trouble with Ebay is that there is a set amt of time for a transaction to take place. That does not always leave time for PPI's or any inspection for that matter.

Yes, I agree. Ebay is a very impractical way to sell most cars. If it's a crappy car you know what you're getting and have low expectations anyway. If it's high-end ($200K+), again you know what you're getting and you don't need to see it or inspect it.

But nicer, newer used cars are tough. I know if I had a beautiful, perfect NSX I would not be able to get top dollar unless people saw it in person and inspected it to see it's perfect. I would never put an NSX on Ebay if it were cherry except of course if I had to move it quickly. But again, many bidders fall out after winning so it still can be difficult to move quickly.

You should only buy cars on Ebay you don't need to see like a Pinto or an Enzo. With both you know exactly what to expect.

I bought my 04 on ebay, but made the bid with conditions that it be checked out by a mechanic of my choice and by a third party. A nice prime member ended up being the third party who checked it out for me. I also checked out the bank account of the owner, the title, liens, etc. It took about 2 weeks before everything went through, and 4 weeks before I saw the car for the first time The biggest item i had to 'trust' was that the owner would not take my money and then sell the car again to someone else while he had my money (he needed my money to clear the lien). The lien clearing and title issuing took about 5 days. If I was really untrusting, I would have camped out in his city for that long. But because the prime member viewed the vehicle at his home I was fairly comfortable 'knowing where he lived'.

Alternatively, I spoke to another prime member who had a local acura dealership 'escrow' his car and funds. He said it turned out real well, but cost him $500

im an ebay addict.

all of my cars are built with ebay parts.. .my nsx excluded.

no, not ebay no name parts. I only buy brand name parts that have been used.

have had great expereince with ebay but there has been issues.

I have probably purchased over 100 items off ebay in the last 3-4 years and only got screwed on .... 3.

but those 3 where 2500$ turbo kit. 350$ headers and some cams.

so... total lost is about 3200$:mad:

i know i saved a lot over msrp or new.

i personally would never send a cent over ebay for a car unless I fly in with money order to purchase the car.

Pictures make cars look great even with blemishes so its always hard to tell.

I would concider exotics like Ferraris and Lambos over ebay since they are rare and hard to find. most of the dealers that sell high end sports cars know that if they screw someone once, it will definitly hurt their future business.

Still, i would never send any money.

500$ deposit = 1 round trip. so fly out, inspect the car. if its crap come back home and leave a neg feedback. simple as that.

also deals that are too good to be true usually is. 10000$ nsx? not going to happen.

Happy motoring.

Rob

Found my car on Ebay. Contacted him. Told him to take it off so I could come look at it. Promised him if I didn't buy it I would re-pay him his ebay fees for re-listing it. I drove to his house, bought it and drove it home. :wink:

Didn't your friend inspect the car, or at least have someone inspect it for him?:confused:

no He didn't inspect it, just did a car fax. The Vette was in Maine.(I think)

I guess I got Lucky, I bought my NSX off ebay. But it was from a dealership.
They had 30 pics and an avi file showing the car inside and out.
They sent me all the service records, aftermarket mod recipts and gave me a 30 day warranty, 1 week refundable... The car came off the truck at 3am from Chicago 3 days after my check cleared....Also I have sold 3 rx-7 on EBAY also. Maybe my Ebay Experience is rare, but I rate my buying and selling exp 100% a okay. Now a days EBAY even have it where you can contract an independent inspector and shipping through them....

Best Of All, ask a prime member to check it out. 2 times I almost bought a SC EBAY and 02 EBAY....Came to the board and sure enough the car history was on the board with critques....

Again if it wasnt an Acura Dealer with a 100 percent rating I wouldnt have bought it. But it had over 15k in upgrades that i would have wanted to do myself.........But the dealer was asking agreat price....... Would I buy from a Private Seller----NOPE----But I am glad people dont fell the same about me. However, all 3 rx7 I restored....were inspected by the People who were buying them and they drove them back 200 - 700 miles.........SO they were all happy.....Local People never had any money and wanted to LETS MAKE A DEAL....Serious buyers who are NOT BS----Will TRavel.....

as long as you have common sense and are skeptical then buying a car off ebay wouldnt be any different that buying one from anywhere else(except you might get a deal/might have found a car you wouldnt have found somewhere else)

first you should read the description very good, and examine the pictures closely, if it seems like something that you might be interested in talk to the seller and get a feel for who they are(email, but if you are going to bid you should talk tot hem on the phone prior to bidding thats common sense:wink: ) ask all your little questions like does it pull one way, how long have you owned it, etc. and you really should go see the car if its local, or if its alot of $ you should travel to see it or have a reputable person(like a prime member or any other forum you might talk on) go check it out for you if you cant make it out to see the vehicle,

i dont know what it is, but i would somewhat confident about buying a car on ebay, once again common sense is the most valuable thing i cant explain it,

there are alot of scams, you just have to have(once again) common sense, think about the transaction, dont buy "keys to a corvette" dont buy an auction that has alot of small disclaimer stuff written that you dont read becaus it probably sais"you are not bidding on actual item but internet site you can buy it from" or "you are getting exactly what the description sais you are getting"

dont take anything with a grain of salt on ebay, and if your buying items from sellers with low feedback(or no selling transactions) you should buy something with actual pictures and a great non generic description of condition.

common sense >>>pwned>>> your buddy

do you have a link to the auction he boughtt he key from?

I have sold a lot of crap on ebay, mostly stuff tenants leave behind. I just sold my jet ski's :frown: on ebay a month ago and that transaction went flawless and I met a really cool dude in the process. I hope he and his son are enjoying the jet ski's.

I personally haven't had any bad ebay experiences(Never bought a car unless it was 1/18th the size) but I have heard a lot of bad ones. I guess you just remember the bad expeiences over the good.

I dont think it matters where online you find your nsx. Yes, you have to be skeptical about any car purchase. Having it on prime, autotrader, etc does not mean its more trust worthy. Having a prime member check the car out for you is a plus. You can do this by simply talking about it in here.

I use ebay for a TON of things, parts, hot rods, muscle cars, etc. I have bought and sold NUMEROUS cars on ebay, including my previous M3, 32 ford coupe, and countless others. Would I purchase a 100% clean NSX on there without inspecting 100% and running a carfax, no way. BUT, ebay is a GREAT place for worldwide exposure and to make great relationships with other people who have similiar interests as you. Don't be a dummy and you will never have an issue, I have never lost any $$ on ebay... and have actually made a good amt.
I also use it for about 90% of my namebrand parts as others have said, just be cautious on what you're buying and you will be 100% ok.

We purchased my first NSX thru eBay, back in 2002. Being neive, we didn't set up a PPI, or anything of the sort. Somehow we came out EXTREMELY lucky, as it was a 1995 Red/Camel w/ 40k miles for $33,000. Mind you, this was 6 years ago when 95 prices were still hovering around the upper 40s - low 50s. Ater 2 years and 40k more miles, the car was totalled and insurance gave us a "replacement value" check of around $42,000.

There are steals out there, but they are pretty rare.

Back