eBay scammer talks about his methods

I got one of the "we need to update your records" emails from someone purporting to be eBay. Clicked on the link, and it took me to a page whose address had nothing to do with eBay. On top of that, it asked me for a credit card and SSN:eek:

I Promptly sent it to eBay. I hope they catch the bastard:mad:

Any suspicous email that purports to be from ebay should be forwarded to ebay for verification - the address is: [email protected]
I have had several attempts to hijack my account info and forwarded all of them to the above address. Got a reply in 3 minutes from ebay telling me not to reply as it is a scam.

I used to get those too on my main ebay email. Same thing, When you click on the link, it would take you to some other non ebay page. I emailed ebay about it and they responded with something like "If you get one of those emails, you need to go update your information". Well, I went to EBAY itself and updated my information, but I still was getting some of those emails. I just ignored them.

Man, some of them warn you that your account will be suspended and whatnot. Last week I got one on my non-ebay email. I was like "Hmm...theres no way ebay wouldve sent me this...."

I had a young punk out of Seattle scam me for a $3700 Greddy Turbo about 3 years ago. :mad: He took my turbo, never sent money. Shouldve done COD. It was one of those hard time desperation sales though that I had to do. So it was partly my fault. Dude said he sent the money, but would revoke the cash if the item wasnt at his door step. The money never came. Did some back and forth instant messaging with someone on AOL that he had contacted me through before. Everytime I would message them, they would jump offline (naturally). I was ready to fly out there.

I immediately did an area search of all John Hager's in the Seattle Area and the other name I had on my email surrounding the address I had sent the turbo to. I contacted authorities but there was little they would or could do considering the minimal amount of loss. Hell, I even contacted a girl I knew in Seattle and both her and her roommate go to the house, take photos, and scout for me. It was a very very nice house up for sale for over $300,000. They sent me photos of the cars out front (some cheap imports) and the brochure of sale for the house. Unfortunately, no one was home but the real estate agent.

I was gonna have the girls go up to the house, act like they were new in town for college, and take photos of any youngsters in the house that would be willing to pose for two hot girls. Young guys are such suckers. Lucky for them, they werent home.

I had a few phone conversations with the real estate agent. He wouldnt let me talk to the actual home owners. :mad: I filed a complaint with the Seattle PD, and Ebay fraud, recieved a report number...and that was that.

You live and learn on Ebay, and its always a risk. 99.9% of users are honest people in a trade. Its just those few bad apples, (usually youngsters) that cause a bad name. This happened to me 3 years ago, and I still use Ebay today. I just dont make the same mistake twice.

Back