eBay car - 1991 sold new for $81,000 ??

I am quite certain that the 91's sold for $61,000, not $81,000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2425388844

Can anyone tell me if this is a true statement?

The 1991 Acura NSX features VVIS (Variable-Volume Intake System) which is a magnesium plenum below the intake chamber which opens 6 butterfly valves above 4800 rpm- This allows for a larger air passage to the engine at higher rpm's.

The '91 NSX also features VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control). A normal cam lobe is accompanied by a second and more aggressive cam lobe that turns on at around 5800 rpm that keeps the valves open wider and longer.

I knew about VTEC, but VVIS???

Nothing against this seller, just wondering.

Jason

osugrad97 said:
I am quite certain that the 91's sold for $61,000, not $81,000.
Well, MSRP in 1991 was $60,600. Giving the seller the benefit for the doubt, it's possible the original buyer did pay $81,000 since many were sold at a premium.

osugrad97 said:
Yup: VTEC and VVIS. Just look in the FAQ. :)

Thanks Ojas. I did not think of the dealership gouging when I realized there was an extra $20k in the price.

And VVIS, wow. I thought I knew alot. Guess not.

He very well may have paid 81k for the car in 1991. The NSX was selling for well above list when it first came out.

Also, yes there is a system that changes intake manifold volume with engine speed, I'm not sure exactly how it works. Never took the manifold apart.

Dave

When the NSX was introduced at the end of the summer in 1990, the list price was $60,600 including $600 transportation charge. Later in the model year, the list price was increased by $1000 (no change in shipping).

At the time of the introduction, most cars were selling for $80-90K. By the end of 1990, dealers were still generally asking low to mid seventies.

osugrad97 said:
You can read about VVIS here.

Yes, that variable induction has been used in some form or another in many Honda/Acura cars. I'm not sure how far back it goes, but the 86 Legend already had a variation of it. As far as I read, they all work about the same. A solenoid opens different butterflies in the intake plenum for different lengths and such. As of today, I think most Honda/Acura cars have it now.

Brian2by2 said:
I could have sworn that i heard somewhere that there were a few that even went as far as 101,000 for a 91 in 1990....any truth to that?

I was supposed to be getting one of the first ones that came out. When I went to the dealer to see the car, the right side of the sticker said "AMV - $30,400".

I asked the dealer what type of options package could possibly cost that much. He explained that "AMV" was "Adjusted Market Value" and that was the MINIMUM that I would have to bid over the sticker to be able to drive off with the car.

I offered $66,000 and he merely laughed and I used the money to get an S class Mercedes. Within 3 months, the NY Times Sunday Auto Classifieds were listing NSX's for as high as $110,000! I don't know of anyone who actually purchased one at that price (or even paid the suggested "AMV") but they definitely were being listed for over $100,000.

Bob

Brian2by2 said:
I could have sworn that i heard somewhere that there were a few that even went as far as 101,000 for a 91 in 1990....any truth to that?
As Bob notes, it's possible - if you were not very good at negotiating.

Brian2by2 said:
None the less, 90k back in 90 had to be well over 100k in todays monetary value terms.
Yes. By way of comparison, the $60,600 MSRP for a new NSX in 1990 is equivalent to $84,988.37 in 2003 dollars.

spartan2-3 said:
I know someone who paid over 100K for a brand new NSX in 91;)
Yupp, he is on NSXprime.
Spartan,

Did he actually buy the car in 1990? If not, he overpaid, because you could easily buy one from almost any dealer for $75K as of 1/1/91, and prices declined steadily during that year. Even with sales tax and luxury tax, that wouldn't have come to $100K.

spartan2-3 said:
When they first hit the showrooms, dealers were selling them twice the "Monroney Sticker"
There were very, very few sales over $120K. Maybe in an isolated handful of instances, but it certainly wasn't common - even for the first one out the door.

nsxtasy,
He was a big F1 fan in the 80's and when he found out about the NSX in 89, he knew he had to have one.

I believe He was one of the first 10 in California to have one. He also mentioned about a $10,000 deposit far in advance. When the car came in, the selling price was double the monroney sticker.

I will let him disclose the figure (if he wants too). :D :D

As far as I know, he was never sorry for his purchase :D :D

:cool:

Last edited:
I know of one certain Silver/Ivory that sold for $103,000 in Florida.

LarryB

I worked for the local Acura dealer (in the service dept.) when we got our first NSX ( I was 20 at the time, so I was not even considering one, but did have a few wet dreams about it..oops did I type that?:eek: )
Anyway, on to the point. Our first car was a Red/Black 5spd. We sold it for 100K PLUS the buyer had to leave it on the showroom floor (encircled by "velvet ropes" to keep the kiddies away) for 3 months or until our next unit arrived. I do not think it was more than a month before he was "allowed" to take posession, but still!:confused:

Back