Ebay 1999 North Carolina

Rick,

Believe it or not I did actually see this car. I was in Greensboro on the 30th of last month and saw this car on the way to Atlanta to pick up my current NSX. We were there for the holidays so decided to stop by as this car had been on eBay previously.

This dealership is the 3rd largest Ferrari dealership in the US, believe it or not and after visiting I believe it, they must have had 30 or so Ferrari's in stock as well as the fact that they are an authorized Porsche Dealership.

The car had not been "Pampered" but it certainly was not thrashed. Seems to me like the previous owner just had this as a 3rd vehicle but didn't mind driving it in the rain, and certainly didn't keep it covered in the garage after 2 hours of detailing after each outing like some of the members on the forum.

The interior was fine with no issues. The tires were almost new, sorry but I can't remember the brand. The exterior had some rock chips as well as a noticeable scratch, but nothing really bad. The only noticeable issue was that the trunk lid was completely wet all over the underside as the car had been left out in the rain that day. There was really no room inside as the showroom was filled with Ferraris and Lamborghinis.

I didn't do an inspection as I wasn't too excited especially knowing that I was going to Atlanta to pick-up a much nicer, lower mileage "Babied" car the next day.

I did have a phone interaction with the salesman prior to visiting the dealership and he offered me the car on the phone for $47,900, but don't get too excited because when I started to question the particulars of the car, specifically that it was a 99 with 20K miles, he quickly realized his mistake and said $57,900.

When I was there in Greensboro I told him that I was going to Atlanta to buy another Black NSX and was paying $50K, so if he thought he could get closer we might be able to make a deal, he wouldn't budge a bit. This tells me that there probably was not much room to move as he had a cash buyer there from California nevertheless he knew he couldn't get to my number so no effort was made.

I suggest that if you want to buy this car you call the sales contact listed and try to make a deal on the phone as they will certainly end the auction early to make a deal. The other interesting thing that he told me is that the group that owns this dealership also owns the Acura dealership down the street. As a former car guy this tells me 2 things:

1. The Ferrari/Porsche store had to pay more for this car than the Acura dealer would have paid or the car would be sitting at the Acura Dealership for sale.

2. Since they do own the Acura store you should be able to leverage this relationship and get them to "Certify" the car as a part of the deal.

Hope this helps,

Send me a private if you need any additional information.

Paul

------------------
97 NSX-T Black/Tan
00 Mercedes 430CLK (Cab)
93 Cadillac Allante (Northstar)
98 GMC Sierra
00 HD Dyna WideGlide
83 Cessna 303 (Crusader)

[This message has been edited by Paul65K (edited 21 January 2003).]

I travel through Greensboro, NC fairly regularly for business and occasionally stop by Foreign Cars Italia. Their website is http://www.foreigncarsitalia.com

I have not seen this specific car, but they usually have a couple NSXs on the lot. Most of the NSXs I've seen there I would rate in "fair" condition, with a few nicer ones and a few rough ones mixed in.

The NSXs and similar cars sit outside all the time inside a big fence a few feet from a pretty major highway (FCI is near the junction of a major Greensboro road and I-40) so they are usually pretty dirty.

Their asking prices are usually a little bit high, as is common with dealers. This applies to all their used cars, not just NSXs. I have never tried to negotiate a price with them so I don't know how flexible they are. They seem to do a brisk business and turn cars over pretty well so I doubt they feel too much pressure to go really low on prices.

Their primary business at that shop is Ferrari, Porsche and Maserati. The Porsches usually sit outside but well away from the highway. The new Ferraris and Maseratis and any other high-end consignment or trade-ins (Lambo, Aston, etc.) mostly sit inside as you would expect. All the sales guys I've met there are pretty nice and seemed to be reasonably straight shooters, though not particularly knowledgeable about the NSX.

I will probably be going through Greensboro in a few weeks and could stop to look at the car if you are serious about it.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 25 January 2003).]

Lud,

can you check a car for me in Greensboro or recommend a shop to take it to? I contacted Flow Acura and they informed me they don't do pre-purchase inspection and Crown Acura stated that the pre-purchase inspection is $19.95.
Thanks Brian
Atlanta GA

Originally posted by bangbang001:
Lud,

can you check a car for me in Greensboro or recommend a shop to take it to? I contacted Flow Acura and they informed me they don't do pre-purchase inspection and Crown Acura stated that the pre-purchase inspection is $19.95.
Thanks Brian
Atlanta GA

Just remember if you are looking at the 99 NSX at Foriegn Car Italia that they are owned by the same ownership group as Crown Acura. Just food for thought, nothing implied, just informational.

Originally posted by Paul65K:
Just remember if you are looking at the 99 NSX at Foriegn Car Italia that they are owned by the same ownership group as Crown Acura. Just food for thought, nothing implied, just informational.

I believe you are wrong about this. FCI is a member of a multi brand group, but now Crown. I know because I had Crown do a prepurchase inspection on a car from FCI and they found multiple things that needed taking care of, which FCI had not specifically told me about. Nothing major for a '91, but enough to warrant a big change in price.

I have had good experiences with both. Talk with John Pye at Crown Acura in the service department and Brett at Foreign Cars. Hope this helps.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan Boooleevard Cruzer
1992 White/Black Track Rat
2002 Red and White Cooper S - for sale, please inquire

I may be wrong, I only know that when I talked to them about this car in December before I found mine, I was told that they owned the Acura dealer down the street. When I was in Greensboro the only Acura dealer down the street was Crown.

So if I am mistaken it is only based on the information I received from the seller in question.

Sorry for any confusion.

Cheers!

Originally posted by Paul65K:
I may be wrong, I only know that when I talked to them about this car in December before I found mine, I was told that they owned the Acura dealer down the street. When I was in Greensboro the only Acura dealer down the street was Crown.

So if I am mistaken it is only based on the information I received from the seller in question.

Sorry for any confusion.

Cheers!

I can understand your confusion. I believe their other dealerships are in the Hickory/Asheboro area of NC. Maybe one is also in Charlotte?

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan Boooleevard Cruzer
1992 White/Black Track Rat
2002 Red and White Cooper S - for sale, please inquire

Originally posted by bangbang001:
Lud, can you check a car for me in Greensboro or recommend a shop to take it to? I contacted Flow Acura and they informed me they don't do pre-purchase inspection and Crown Acura stated that the pre-purchase inspection is $19.95.
Thanks Brian
Atlanta GA

Hi Brian,

I do not live in the Greensboro area (or even the state of North Carolina), I was just passing through when I saw the cars at Foreign Cars Italia. My suggestion for inspection would have been the dealers but that does not sound very promising based on what you said. I may be passing through there again in 4-6 weeks if the car is still there and you are still interested in it. Sorry I can't help more.

If nobody else in here can do it, try posting in the Southeast forum asking if anyone lives near Greensboro and can look at it.

Back