E55 encounter today, a bit disappointed with my NSX

Well, I wouldn't say its a win for me, but I was probably half nose ahead, too close to call it a win. Not very good results, considering my power/weight ratio. I am guessing his E55 might not be stock (ecu/intake). Only way to find out is locate his E55 on Mercedes forums.

I came across a silver E55 today, its got incredibly agressive looking stance from behind. Line up behind him at the light as there were no lanes open. He took off easy, then gunned it all of sudden, I was expecting that so I matched his acceleration, while I was impressed, I have no doubt I can match that.

Approached next light, he got the open lane, I had to switch from very right lane to very left to get the open spot. By the time I got there, I had no time to get ready to rev up and launch, so I launched off idle, again the extra 40~50rwtq at 2k~3k rpm saved me once again. This is as close as it gets, there are cars and red light at next intersection. But the gentleman was more extreme than me, doesn't let off until we absolutely had to. 0mph~80mph, 80mph~0mph. I am just very shocked by how fast these things are, simply unreal.

The E55 driver is an Asian 25~35year old. He didn't look too happy, probably thought I was stock and a bit shocked himself. I gave him the thumbs up, he did not respond at first. I then said "fast car bro", he nodded.

After I made a turn to Warner ave. A red 360 Modena approached from behind, we cruised side by side for a while. It sounded really nice, and looks to be quite big. He actually was pacing me, our exhaust echos together, that was awesome, but there were too much traffic to get a chance to line up. Living in Southern Cal, the chances of coming across fast or cool cars are ultra high.

I don't know what else I can do to give me that a little bit more edge while running low boost. There is really no other basic weight reduction that I can think of that I have not done yet, any more advanced weight reduction cost big $$.

Just replaced the old lightweight Toyo T1s 245/40/17 tires with some new heavy ass 255/40/17 rear tires. Probably placebo effect, but the car felt slower than with the super light Toyo T1-S 245/40/17s.

516lbs TQ is a nasty weapon the E55 keeps under the hood.

Your encounter sounds pretty close to what I would expect. The E55 traps around 112-114, which should be pretty close to your NSX.

PS. It sounds like you have too much fun with that car! :)

Awesome...and your results are what I would imagine them to be. I see a lot of AMG's here in Houston but most of them were just cruising. I don't instigate anything but I wouldn't mind a side to side comparison. Nice posts and the MB driver was probably shocked that he didn't win.

The E55 AMG is a stupid FAST car. My buddies got one and everytime we gun it we all giggle like little girls. YOU must get a ride in one, it puts you back so hard and the stomach feeling is great better then my buddies 650rwhp Supra IMO . It has that instant 512TQ right at 2k RPM. We had 3 people in the E55 and have beaten a 360 modena and 911 turbo ,Viper GTS. If I could afford one Id buy one.

From your story seems like your NSX is fast as hell too. I got a ride in a 03 CTSC dynod at 390rwhp it didnt give me that E55 fast feeling. Id like to get a ride in your NSX some time jason. I did the 02 conversion and it saved me over 70 Ilbs. I weighted my 2000 NSX at 2900ilbs with no driver not bad . My big ass 19's are slowing me down but oh well they look bad ass.

The NSX is funny like that..it is faster than it seems but that's just part of why it is such an extraordinary vehicle.

Wheelman said:
The NSX is funny like that..it is faster than it seems but that's just part of why it is such an extraordinary vehicle.

Agreed

760NSX said:
The E55 AMG is a stupid FAST car. My buddies got one and everytime we gun it we all giggle like little girls. YOU must get a ride in one, it puts you back so hard and the stomach feeling is great better then my buddies 650rwhp Supra IMO.
I know what you are talking about, the instant torque feels good, I got a ride in Sakis's newer CLK55, while no E55, it felt like it had just as much torque as my old Supra at 380rwtq, everything is instant. Believe it or not, My NSX at current stage actually also felt like a torque monster down low compare to my Supra running 14.5psi on pump gas.

760NSX said:
Id like to get a ride in your NSX some time jason. I did the 02 conversion and it saved me over 70 Ilbs. I weighted my 2000 NSX at 2900ilbs with no driver not bad . My big ass 19's are slowing me down but oh well they look bad ass.
You are welcome to ride at anytime.

Congratulations with your 02 conversion:smile:, it looks awesome last time I saw it, I can't imagine how much nicer it looks now.:eek:

For the CTSC its hard go get that similar feel, because the power curve is very liner, and relatively low torque compare to a car like E55. To really appreciate CTSC or get the real feel of it, you will need to cuise at normal speed at approximately 5krpm, then gun it all of sudden, you can simulate that sudden rush power curve, pin you back to the seat feel.

While Thomas's NSX is faster without a doubt. I think he probably demonstrated incorrectly like I did at previous SCA meet. I think I have learned from the mistake and know the characteristic so well now that I can give you a much better feel in test ride:biggrin:.

I totaly agree. It was Thomas NSX I got a ride in. I really wanted to feel the car full throttle right at 4-5 RPMs right at the sweet spot but it was a short ride only from low 2nd gear pulls. As for the 02 conversion it looks very nice with the NSX-R hood. THe car gets way more attention with the newer headlights. Im also close to buying the Ver 4 high pitched Titanium GT-ROM exhuast that hopfully fits the 02 valance.

I must give it to you, to even be close or even with a E55 AMG is really impressive. Remember that car is 469hp 512TQ mid to low 12's car. Next supra/Nsx meet I will def have to get a ride in that beast.

nsxsupra said:
I know what you are talking about, the instant torque feels good, I got a ride in Sakis's newer CLK55, while no E55, it felt like it had just as much torque as my old Supra at 380rwtq, everything is instant. Believe it or not, My NSX at current stage actually also felt like a torque monster down low compare to my Supra running 14.5psi on pump gas.

You are welcome to ride at anytime.

Congratulations with your 02 conversion:smile:, it looks awesome last time I saw it, I can't imagine how much nicer it looks now.:eek:

For the CTSC its hard go get that similar feel, because the power curve is very liner, and relatively low torque compare to a car like E55. To really appreciate CTSC or get the real feel of it, you will need to cuise at normal speed at approximately 5krpm, then gun it all of sudden, you can simulate that sudden rush power curve, pin you back to the seat feel.

While Thomas's NSX is faster without a doubt. I think he probably demonstrated incorrectly like I did at previous SCA meet. I think I have learned from the mistake and know the characteristic so well now that I can give you a much better feel in test ride:biggrin:.

Not disappointed with the results at all. Consider it a tie, it is still very impressive.

Here in HK, E55s are well-known to eat 360s for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner.

Back