E46 M3/STi/B5 S4 comparison with NSX

First off, I would like to introduce myself and say hello to everyone! My name is Chris, and I am a 22 year old college student in NC. I have had a tremendous passion for cars in general since a young age (especially performance cars). I have owned 2 STi's one protuned stage 2 put down 285whp/330whtq. My other Sti was equipped with a GT35r and methanol and I put down 450whp/445wtq on the stock block 23psi. I just recently sold my Stage 3 S4 for an 02 BMW m3 since the S4 cost a ton to maintain. Currently the m3 had the rod bearing recall done by BMW and has a warranty on the engine until 100k miles. I was wondering how the NSX would compare to these cars (broad question I know)....I would like to go FI on a NSX since boost is so addictive. Any info would be greatly appreciated. What year would you recommend (price range would be 30k or less)...Thank you all! BTW I only own 1 car currently which is the M (clear up any confusion)

Last edited:
Welcome to Prime:smile:

First off the NSX isn't brute power but more of a refined driving experience. It shows its prowess on the twisty roads more than on the straights. Its not really a drag car, however several members are putting up good ETs with turbo kits. You can also gut them down to 2600 lbs if you want to.

Also worth mentioning is how low the car is in comparison to the cars you listed. Driver position is very comfortable and the likened to a F16 cockpit. Vette owners have hit their head on the roof trying to get in my car and mine is currently at stock height. That translates to a low center of gravity. They do tend to snap oversteer if you lift the throttle when the back drifts...somthing to think about.

For your kind of budget you'll need to look for an early year 91-94 that has a good maintenence history and then save up some dough for the go fast crack pipe. Lots of Comptech SCs here that seem to fill that need. There is low boost and hi boost setups you can read about in the FI section. Im a NA person so I just have the exhaust mods and a chip which get me near 270whp ...nothing neck snapping but I am happy with it.

The thing I like about the NSX is its killer styling and reliability and the balance it has with the rear engine layout. It was ahead of its time back when introduced. Not many people know what it is and is often mistaken for a F-car or new Vette. That said, I wouldnt use it for a daily driver since some people are jealous and like to vandalize or are careless and ding it up. IMO its too nice a vehicle to watch it deteriorate like that.

Best of luck

P.S I would get rid of the M well before the warranty expires. Very spendy after that. I have several friends with those and that is the consensus.

Last edited:
hey welcome. I have had 2 NSX's and 5 M3's (3 E46) They are both awesome cars, but very different. Personally i liked my M3 better for daily driving, taking fiance to dinners, friends out on town, etc. It was more a really nice sports car with easy everyday living. More luxury sport IMO.

the nsx has always been one of my fav's. I love the look, its rare, and its much more purpose sport imo. I drive it only on really nice days, usually alone just to enjoy the car/sounds/feel.

My M3's were all VERY custom/built...AC, HRE, KW, AA SC, etc, etc...tons of $$$ lost in them (almost like the stock market now..lol)

I wish i could have both. Came down to me getting another NSX cause i never drive much (travel too much) and so the NSX was a perfect sunny day smile machine for me.

My last M3 was N/A and yet had a ton of mods..it was maybe 360hp (flywheel) while my NSX has I/E/ecu (similar mods) and is maybe 310hp (flywheel) however the nsx is much lighter. I think the M3 is "quicker" but the NSX is "faster" in that i mean, the M3 is a super light to light, squirt out of corners quick..the nsx just builds speed and is super stable at higher speeds. I LOVE the steering feedback on the M3 (e36 was better yet!) and the brakes are nice on the M3 (mine all had huge brembo's thou) The NSx has a MUCH better transmission/shifting. The NSX is dead reliable. My M3's were too..occasional ignition coil and such..and yeah my 01 had the bearing recall..but even boosted my m3's never missed a beat. In fact my 01' with the AA SC kit made over 400RWhp and the guy now has over 80K on it.

I was on the list for the 2nd M3 here in portland but once i saw the new M3 (E92) and drove it, i was like 'yuck" too heavy, no tq, no individuality, too much $$. My buddy has a new M3 and drove my NSX "dude, this thing is way faster than 290hp" i laughed...i said "well its 800lbs lighter, shorter gearing(i have type R gearset) and actually makes TQ! (obviously his new M3 would SMOKE my nsx, but the m3 doesnt "feel" fast..it just is!)

Good luck and ASK a lot of questions on here, it helps!!

Feel free to pm me if ya want, i'll shoot ya over some pics of my M3's/NSX so you can see and you can ask me specific questions if ya want.

Back