Dyno facilities in New England

Does anyone know of any good shops I can have a dyno done on my car? The closer to the Boston area the better.

Thanks.

Turner Mortorsport in Amesbury, MA
KTR in Ayer, MA
Concord Motorsport in Concord, NH

-Wick

Thanks Wick, is there one you recommend?

Thanks Wick, is there one you recommend?

Either of the first two have great reputations and I've had work done at both of them (on BMWs, not my NSX) and would highly recommend either. I just know Concord MS by reputation.... also good. They all have dyno capability on site, so I'm sure any could do your NSX.

TMS is a well know BMW tuner and seller of BMW aftermarket parts... and very, very big in the pro racing scene. KTR is a vintage sports car shop with exceptional capabilities.

Oh, and another local one I forgot to mention (duh!!... must have been a senior moment!!) is the place where I had my CTSC installed and dyno'ed, as well as my other NSX mods and general maintenance... it's Mechanics Direct in Lowell, MA (just speak to the owner, Mitchell ... he has an NA1 NSX, highly modified). They basically do maintenace and performance upgrades on Honda, Integra, NSX. Excellent shop and Mitch is a straigh-up guy!

-Wick

Mitch just did my CTSC install. Besides the CTSC I insalled a set of $3000 equal length GT-One headers, no cats, and the GT-One exhaust. The car in Mitch's shop dyno'ed 318. That is a whole WORLD lower than than almost any other CTSC car, nevermind that exhaust system. That is why I am asking for other dyno facilities. Because if they too read that low, to me something is seriously wrong.

Wick what did you dyno at Mitch's shop? what were your pre and post #'s?

The car in Mitch's shop dyno'ed 318. That is a whole WORLD lower than than almost any other CTSC car, nevermind that exhaust system. That is why I am asking for other dyno facilities. Because if they too read that low, to me something is seriously wrong.

Something is 100% wrong. :confused: My NA1 with the old style CTSC dyno'd 342 hp. Your NA2, with the autorotor and your fancy exhaust should have spun 375-385 on a bad day:wink:

I gained 20 on the dyno and thats with comptech headers. I would expect your gain should be slightly more with the equal length headers. The exhaust isn't the most free flowing so I wouldn't expect too much from it.

Mitch just did my CTSC install. Besides the CTSC I insalled a set of $3000 equal length GT-One headers, no cats, and the GT-One exhaust. The car in Mitch's shop dyno'ed 318. That is a whole WORLD lower than than almost any other CTSC car, nevermind that exhaust system. That is why I am asking for other dyno facilities. Because if they too read that low, to me something is seriously wrong.

Wick what did you dyno at Mitch's shop? what were your pre and post #'s?

I too think Mitch's dyno machine results read low (maybe that's why I subconscienously forgot to mention his shop in my first response to your question on other shops in NE that have a dyno??)

Anyway, my results were 331 (which was around a 80 hp gain as I recall from baseline). I was planning to get a dyno run eslewhere (like you) just for comparisons. The shops I mentioned are the ones I would consider.

-Wick

Wick, your car is a 93, right? thats a 3.0. Mine is a 3.2 and I am putting down less power than you. I think something is wrong.

Wick, your car is a 93, right? thats a 3.0. Mine is a 3.2 and I am putting down less power than you. I think something is wrong.

Yes, mine is a '93 with a 3.0 (it does have I/H/E however). Does seem your power numbers are low for a 3.2, even on a dyno that may read lower than most?

-Wick

Checking boost levels tomorrow... gas is 3 months old... A/F is reading 10.2 across the band. I will run it a while, change gas, go to another place or two and see what it reads.

Curious to see what the new reading will be, let us know.

Checking boost levels tomorrow... gas is 3 months old... A/F is reading 10.2 across the band. I will run it a while, change gas, go to another place or two and see what it reads.
Definitely check the boost level. If a 3.0 car with I/H/E dynoed 331rwhp at the same shop, a 3.2L it should dyno quite a bit higher.

A/F have nothing to do with boost level, the FPR is a raising rate type, it shouldn't change A/F until you are at 7.5~8psi+ when stock injectors and fuel pump is fully maxed out. 10.2 AFR is also a bit on richer side especially with the cool weather at New England. You will dip into 9s in Summer which means pig rich and hurt the power a lot.

North East Auto Design in Portland Maine.....
Forpeformance.com
They did a custom intake setup for a gallardo not to long ago.

Jeff Evans for sure!! Easily one of the top 3 Honda tuners in the country, and he's right in our back yard.

Thanks again for the tip, best shop ive ever dealt with in my life. Call me later or tommorow, lets catch up:wink:

10.2 AFR is also a bit on richer side especially with the cool weather at New England. You will dip into 9s in Summer which means pig rich and hurt the power a lot.

Exactly. I would consider an AFR in the low 10's to already be borderline 'pig rich.' I understand that many tuners like a richer mixture to keep EGT's down, but at a certain point you've gone beyond a safety margin, are making less power, and just running plain dirty. Considering the CTSC setup and how it adds fuel, there's not much to go wrong...wondering what AFR's others are seeing w/ the kit. Mike?

Exactly. I would consider an AFR in the low 10's to already be borderline 'pig rich.' I understand that many tuners like a richer mixture to keep EGT's down, but at a certain point you've gone beyond a safety margin, are making less power, and just running plain dirty. Considering the CTSC setup and how it adds fuel, there's not much to go wrong...wondering what AFR's others are seeing w/ the kit. Mike?

Here's a link to my Air:Fuel Ratios with the base Autorotor kit. My Air:Fuel ratios ranged from 11.1-11.7.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=584691&postcount=16

Is there a way to adjust this on the CTSC system? Or is it just what it is? What does Comptech like to see?

Another dyno run netted 328 so far, but still I am in the 10.2 range and it is COLD right now.

I'm no expert and your question might be better off in the Forced Indutcion forum, but I believe some adjustments can be made on on the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Correct me if I am wrong. However, I think the only real way to dial this in would be with some kind of engine management, like the AEM.

The folks at Comptech mentioned to me that for max power, an Air:Fuel ratio in the mid 12's is ideal if you have total control of timing and fuel. Since fuel is controlled via the ACM module with the standard CTSC kit, Comptech told me that my ratio was in the safe range. I guess it is definitely better to be running a tad rich than lean. :smile:

Also, Hoover at Turbohoses R&D hooked up a stethoscope to my car when performing the Dyno pull and he told me that he didn't hear any detonation under load so I guess my max ratio of 11.7 is still within "Safe" operating range.

My A/F is normally in the mid 11's to low 12's and I had Shad on the phone as my car was on the dyno, so I'm assuming it's safe:biggrin: There is no way to really tune the CTSC, the only thing you can do is adjust the fuel pressure regulator and that really isnt going to be precise enough to really dial it in how you want it. The beauty of the CTSC is it's ready to go right from out the box.

The 328 whp is not right, as I said earlier....send the car to Larry B or Jeff Evans and get the job done right.

Something is 100% wrong. :confused: My NA1 with the old style CTSC dyno'd 342 hp. Your NA2, with the autorotor and your fancy exhaust should have spun 375-385 on a bad day:wink:

agreed.

I moved the rest of this thread to the FI section.

Back