DVD-Audio and SACD

i was doing some consulting work for a company called 5.1 entertainment. The are one of the pioneers in the surround sound field. www.51entertainmentgroup.com.
They do alot of backend surround mixes for major record labels.
I can say once you go surround ....you don't want to go back to stereo mode.
DVD-A will be around for a while because of DVD-Video. I belive DVD players will be a norm with surround sound in Auto in the next 5 years.
SACD is fighting for good market share but the only thing about Sony is they are trying to make you buy their SACD player.
Sony also did that last decade with Mini Disc. Some people like it (i did)but it sux cuz you have to buy a MD player for the car (i did) and one in the house (i did). MD didn't really catch fire in America. But in japan it was doing good.
Now you can fine DVD-A and CD on one disc. It is the new disc that can play on reg. CD player or DVD player.

I've used both in my home and prefer the sound characteristics of SACD over that of DVD-A. The DVD-A sounds more "digital" compared to the smoother more "analog" sound of the SACD. The best thing is for you to try both on your home audio system and see which you prefer. I was absolutely blown away by the sound of SACD through a Sony ES SACD/DVD player on my home system. I also have a Panasonic DVD-A/DVD player which I use primarily for video purposes. On the plus side there are many combination SACD and DVD-A players available now in all different price ranges.

Now if you are talking about multichannel audio in the NSX I've not yet attempted that.

I agree with Motegi,
If you like electronica , dance, industrial and so on...dvd-a is good to hear from it.
SACD will be better if you live instruments and concert style music.
But overall is up to you on what music disc you like and who the artist is. You have to see if it comes in dvd-a or sacd.
:)

I seem to see more ppl liking SACD more than DVD-Audio .. There's even some article on Audioholics that compared the difference in dynamics between them, along with CD and LP.
I've been using Denon universal player myself .. Their new DVD-3910 looks quite wicked!!

Cheers .. Gus

Back