DualNote design only good on paper?

I dont know if anyone else has brought this up, but the thought just occurred to me that hybrid/IMA type setups like the insight ur dualnote would not fare very well under aggressive driving -- particularly on a racetrack.

NiMH batteries (like those on the insight/civic) usually can discharge at several times their charge rates. Ballpark figure (from panasonic) usually go as high as 10C discharge rates vs only 3C charge.

According to one description of the regenerative braking for the insight:
Because the regenerative braking system is limited in how quickly it can slow the car by itself, the more abruptly your stop, the more you are using the friction brakes, and the so the more energy you've wasted. For this reason, it is best to begin slowing sooner, using only a very light pressure on the brake pedal.

So, putting two and two together, I find that you will quickly run down the battery with hard acceleration. Most of this energy will not be recovered because only limited amounts can be regenerated during hard braking (or you would have to ride your brake continuously on the track.) This means that the bulk of the recharging energy will come from sapping it off the existing powerplant. So in the context of the dualnote (with ballpark figures), you would get your 400HP worth until the battery runs out in a few minutes. Then you'd be down to your base engine at ~350HP. Then the IMA system would be sapping power off your engine trying to recharge the batteries again. So you'd end up with something less than even the 350HP the gas engine puts out.

Ive seen only a handful of battery types that can cope with this short charge/discharge cycle. To make matters worse, the one that tops the list went bankrupt a few years ago. They also seem to have a high rate of leakage (ie, discharges quickly even if not used) and usually have a low energy density (ie, only good for SHORT bursts of acceleration).

Anyone have any thoughts on this problem?

Can Honda truly make a high performance car based on this technology considering its lack of endurance? More importantly, would you be willing to buy a sportscar with a lack of endurance?

Would you be willing to radically adjust your driving habits like the insight owners do so you can keep the IMA system happy?

That's why I thought this hybrid idea on the DN-X, in which the next gen NSX is supposedly based on, is a compromise. I really hope Honda sticks to V-6 or V8 that makes 450+HP N.A. for the powerplant on the NG-NSX. My 2 cents anyway.

[This message has been edited by Zanardi 50 (edited 04 July 2002).]

A recent Acura driver issue talked about the DNX. Its a drivable car. 0-60 in under 5 seconds with a top speed of 190 mph.

Originally posted by wctsao:
A recent Acura driver issue talked about the DNX. Its a drivable car. 0-60 in under 5 seconds with a top speed of 190 mph.

While I do not disagree that the DNX will give you good performance, I take serious issue in the fact that the article and all other DNX hype does not point out that this level of performance cannot be sustained.

Assuming that the 190mph was achieved with the aid of the IMA system, the DNX will be unable to sustain this after its batteries have run down. In comparison, a normal gasoline engine putting down the same level of power would be able to sustain this speed until the tank runs dry.

What concerns me is that Honda and all the DNX hype is trying to pass this technology off as the equivalent of a 400HP engine -- which it is not. This is akin to the argument in another thread about getting fat dyno numbers with a SC + high boost pulley + nitrous even though the owners would never dare to run the car like that as a daily driver.

Originally posted by wctsao:

I have no doubts it can get to 60 in under 5 seconds as well. This is mainly due to it's AWD setup. It must launch very well.

I would think the IMA system would only provide assist in the low rpm range where the car probably needs more low end torque. If that were the case, then it should be able to maintain the top speed.

The article quoted 42 mpg with those performance numbers which is pretty good.

The engine is based off the 3.2L NSX engine which is a good start.

Is IMA really safe? Your pratically sitting in an EMF mobile.

[This message has been edited by wctsao (edited 15 July 2002).]

"Honda, who've already given us the eco-friendly Honda Insight, have now decided that for the idea to catch on, it needs a sexier profile. Which is why the 2004 NSX supercar will feature the technology. The rear wheels will be powered by a highly-tuned 3.5 litre V6, with the fronts being driven by electric motors. Combined, the car will have a Ferrari 360 Modena-rivalling 400 bhp with the added bonus of all-wheel traction."
http://www.motornet.ie/news/articles/05110102.phtml

Looks like a direct translation of what's been discussed in Japanese BESTCAR magazine a while back. I hope such isn't true for the next gen. NSX and hopefully Honda will stick to a high-output small block V-8 or a big block V-6 that has even higher output (as in +130hp/liter), as long as it's putting out 450HP minimum.

[This message has been edited by Zanardi 50 (edited 01 August 2002).]

Back