Drove an NA1

I am in the market for an NSX and recently drove an 1995 NA1. I currently own a 2006 S2000 and have the following impressions with regard to my test drive. I know that there have been many threads related to the S2000 vs NSX conundrum, but I think my conclusions are a little different:

1995 NA1 NSX Pro/Con:

Pro:
1) Great exhaust note.
2) Fantastic view and driver perspective
3) Excellent engine
4) Gorgeous exotic appearance

Con:
1) Notchy shifter
2) Loose, less nimble feel compared to S2000
3) Some creaks and rattles
4) Awkward pedal position

I recognize that my current car is very new and that the NSX I drove was 12 years old and had 60,000 miles, so perhaps this accounts for the list of "cons" above. For those of you who own a newer model, are my impressions perhaps secondary to the age of the car or could they be true of all NA1 models considering there were sinificant changes to the shifter, etc. for the NA2? Another explanation might be that I am simply more used to my S2000.

I don't mean to cast aspersion on the NSX, so please don't take offense as I still admire them and plan to buy one in the future, I'm just looking for advice.

Thank you for your help.

1) Notchy shifter: All of the NA1 NSX's I've driven have felt the same. My '94 is somewhat notchy, but it's normal.

2) Loose and less nimble: That is not normal. Maybe the car has cheapo tires, or the shocks may be worn out. My '94 felt loose, but when I changed the shocks, springs, and tires, it felt great afterwards.

3) Creaks and rattles: It's a 12 year old car. It's going to have some creaks and rattles, especially because it was the first year for the NSX-T.

4) Awkward pedal position: I guess you've never driven a Lamborghini. :biggrin:

I'm going to be in Beantown with my NSX during 4th of July if you'd like to check out my car.

I am in the market for an NSX and recently drove an 1995 NA1. I currently own a 2006 S2000 and have the following impressions with regard to my test drive. I know that there have been many threads related to the S2000 vs NSX conundrum, but I think my conclusions are a little different:

1995 NA1 NSX Pro/Con:

Pro:
1) Great exhaust note.
2) Fantastic view and driver perspective
3) Excellent engine
4) Gorgeous exotic appearance

Con:
1) Notchy shifter

I recognize that my current car is very new and that the NSX I drove was 12 years old and had 60,000 miles, so perhaps this accounts for the list of "cons" above. For those of you who own a newer model, are my impressions perhaps secondary to the age of the car or could they be true of all NA1 models considering there were sinificant changes to the shifter, etc. for the NA2? Another explanation might be that I am simply more used to my S2000.

I don't mean to cast aspersion on the NSX, so please don't take offense as I still admire them and plan to buy one in the future, I'm just looking for advice.

Thank you for your help.

The 2 cars your are comparing are stock or do they have mods? What changes were made to the shifter from NA1 to NA2?

The car was not modded, so far as I know.

The FAQ for NSX prime changes by year lists:

"Improved manual transmission shifting"

as a change for model year 2000.

Thanks.

Con:
1) Notch shifter
Not normal, my 94 is like a toggle switch.

Not normal, on the other hand S2000's are better for things like auto cross.
Nimble is very subjective.

Not normal, as mentioned may have been the T top?
was it on or off?

Very close together, takes a while to get used to.
Shoe selection is critical (my size 13 gunboats work well with early Reeboks or Piloti) http://www.piloti.com/products/product_list.aspx

Drive as many as you can prior to making the plunge.
Different years etc. Some cars with 150k drive better that lower mile examples. How they were cared for is key.

The car was not modded, so far as I know.

The FAQ for NSX prime changes by year lists:

"Improved manual transmission shifting"

as a change for model year 2000.

Thanks.

I would guess the suspension just needs to be replaced after 12 years. I take home a S2K anytime we get one in at work and my 1997 NSX feels much tighter and nimble, but also has newer shocks and springs.

I've driven a few late model NSX's and haven't noticed a difference in the shifter. Does anyone know what the improvement was?

yeah, the notchy feeling of the shifter in the 5 speed is not normal. from what i've read on the forums, the 5 speed feels smoother compared tot he 6 speed even.

also creeks and rattles is not normal either. my car has almost 90K on the clock and its rock solid. than again, my car is also a coupe not a t top.

car not feeling nimble? well the suspension isn't super stiff like a s2000 but its far from feeling sluggish.

Very close together, takes a while to get used to.
Shoe selection is critical (my size 13 gunboats work well with early Reeboks or Piloti) http://www.piloti.com/products/product_list.aspx

That's exactly how I would describe it. I might need need smaller shoes as well.

It sounds as if the one I drove might have been sub-par. Thanks for all the replies.

Con:
1) Notchy shifter

After owning a 2001 S2k and 1995 NSX. I currently own 2003 NSX and 2006 S2k.

Your observation is very correct, as a first time test driver.
1). The notchy feel of the gear box is only that way when it is cold. One a NA1, you will need to give it at least 10 to 15 minutes for it to warm up. After that, the shifting will be smoother than the S2k once it’s totally warm up.
2). Loose, Less Nimble fee - It is because the car is tuned to under steer for safety. You don't hear the rear end of NSX broke loose nearly as much as S2k. You can fix that easy by installing thicker front and rear sway bars, and stiffer suspension.
3). Some creeks and rattle - That is most likely related the squeaking roof, which probably contribute to your thought #2 for been loose. The solution is simple, all you have to do is clean up the rubber strips of the "T," and have some silicon spray (Armor all or even leather conditioner), the noise will go away.
4). The clutch position is strange, but that's mostly due to the fact that the S2k peddles are further apart. If you are on the track, you will appreciate the arrangement on the NSX a lot more than the S2k.

When driven the NSX for the first time, you might get the impression the car is heavy, because it is mostly due to the fact that the chassis is extremely stiff – Even with the “T” model. Once you get the car up to speed, the car feels light and extremely rigid. My 2006 S2k has plenty of rattles and squeaks, more so than my old 2001.

You can get a NSX to drive like a S2k without the snappy tail. All you have to do is swap out the suspension with Type S/R, and put Type R sway bar in the front. I did just that and my NSX is much more responsive than my S2k.

Last edited:
I have an 01 s2k and an 02 NSX and I agree with you as far as the notchy shifting is concerned. The S feels much smoother and more defined. That being said, The NSX still feels phenomenol compared with any other car car that I've driven.

1995 NA1 NSX Pro/Con:

Con:
1) Notchy shifter

Hey. This is just some of my own incite on the situation.

1. I don't know. Maybe I'm used to it, or maybe it was just the car you drove, but mine feels fine.
2. Loose... No... Maybe less nimble in the way because the nsx is longer than the s2000. I know the s2000 is like a go-cart and has a shorter wheel base "I hope I'm right on this, if not, ignore everything I'm saying".

I daily drive a 2000 VW gti with bilstein sports and neuspeed race springs "2 inch drop all around" and my gti feels sometimes more nimble but I think that's because it has a shorter wheel base also and I just want to throw it around corners and stuff.

3. That was the car you drove. Mines 16 years old and has no rattles or creaks.

4. Another one I don't know about. I don't mind the pedal position at all.

BTW, I love the s2000. I was going to buy one before I bought the nsx, but thought the nsx was a better car for me.

Cool thread as I'm an 07 S2000 owner and purchasing a NA1 NSX this year.

I've been waiting for 16 years to own the car and my first question/experience I want to have is finding out what the difference in handling is between the two. I'm excited that there is a noticable difference because I don't want another S2000 in my garage. Now I'm even more excited to get my NSX!!!

Thanks for the post!

Jetpilot

drive a Na2, you'll notice how much harder the car pulls.
I think the power for either car is excellent. The current horsepower war is ridiculous. What I would like is more torque so that the daily overall driving experience is a little less frenetic. The S2k is great for when you're in the mood, but can wear you down when you're feeling less aggressive.

My '95 NSX has one rattle (no creaks). It's the rear view mirror. Sounds omnipresent when it rattles and it goes away if you put your hand on it. I think this is somewhat common. Some day I'll fix it but is just so minor of a concern. That may be the rattle you noticed. Very fixable if needed. If you get a chance to drive the NA1 again, give it a try.

1.) Re the transmission, the stock 5 speed is quite good once warmed up. I have a friend with a 97 and I recently swapped my transmission for the 2000+ 6 speed. The 5 speed is the smoothest, followed by 00+, followed by the 97. However, there is NO WAY I would go back to the 5 speed, as the car is so much more responsive.

2.) From the limited numbers of times I have driven an S2000, I would say a NSX with a new/good suspension is at least equal and probably better in terms of feel. However, the effort is a little bit more. I can see where you would prefer either - S2000 feels darty in comparison to me. If you were used to that, you would probably say the NSX takes more effort.

3.) creaks and rattles? My konis do it a little when cold, but otherwise everything is rock solid and noise free. Must be a targa thing.

4.)Feels ok to me, although I am not sure how well it would work if you have really wide feet.

$.08

Check the Northeast forum for an upcoming meet in Mass. Would be good to see you there.

drive a Na2, you'll notice how much harder the car pulls.

I think you mean torque when you say "pulls". Actually the torque increase from NA1 to NA2 isn't that significant.

The "pull" you are feeling is probably due more to the gearing of the six speed vs. the 5 speed.

I felt the completely opposite when comparing my '06 s to my minty 15k mile '91 x. However I have been in my friend's higher milage '91 and the suspension does seem to be a bit more loose.

My s has about 3 more creaks/rattles than my x, and it only has a total of 3:

1) passenger airbag rattle
2) soft top conv. creak on the driver side
3) inside the passenger side door panel theres a clicking sound when car goes over bumpy roads

My x was as quiet as a car can get, no sounds at all, great sound deadening, low wind noise.

I felt the completely opposite when comparing my '06 s to my minty 15k mile '91 x. However I have been in my friend's higher milage '91 and the suspension does seem to be a bit more loose.

My s has about 3 more creaks/rattles than my x, and it only has a total of 3:

1) passenger airbag rattle
2) soft top conv. creak on the driver side
3) inside the passenger side door panel theres a clicking sound when car goes over bumpy roads

My x was as quiet as a car can get, no sounds at all, great sound deadening, low wind noise.
The one I drove must have been beaten. Sounds like the concensus is that it was a bad example. Will keep looking.

Back