Driving around in 3rd gear

Hello,
I have had my 95 Nsx for about two months. I moved into it from a Ferrari 308. As much as I loved the 308 I REALLY love the Nsx. It is a fantastic car in every respect. Nice power, great handling, I love the interior and it looks SO good. I think I get more comments on it then I did with the Ferrari (not that I was looking for that) Now to the title of the thread. I find myself when I am just cruising around town doing so a lot of the time in 3rd gear. It seems like a nice mix of Rpms not to high yet still good power. I don't really do it on purpose. I just look down and think...shoot, I'm in 3rd gear. I shift up to 5th to get the better gas mileage. Anyone else find themselves cruising in 3rd a lot or is it just me?

Your stock tranny in 2nd gear and 8k redline allows you to run at nearly 80mph so start "cruising" in 2nd:biggrin:

LOL...yes I drive it second also. If you are only doing 40 or so on a slower road it feels so good to be in that sweet spot. So then I go up to third and it feels like 5th gear and I'm just cruising. I guess don't need to worry about 5th just for the sake of gas mileage. Thats whats my Jetta is for. BTW it does seem like the NSX gets pretty good gas mileage if you keep your foot out of it. Just another plus for it.

On the street? No, not for just driving around. What's the point, other than wasting gas that costs over three dollars a gallon? The advantage of using a lower gear is for better acceleration; however, whatever time you're not flooring the accelerator for maximum acceleration - and, just driving around, that rarely happens - there's no advantage at all.

On the track, where you are going for maximum acceleration, then sure, I use third gear for all the turns and straights whenever I'm between 80 mph and 115 mph.

Forget the gas, I would have bought a Prius if that was case. I do want one though:biggrin: Keep it in second on the streets and 3rd or 4th on the highways. The nsx loves it, and it was made to be driven at high RPM's. Plus the sound of the engine, intake and exhaust creates beautiful music for the world to hear.

there is a third gear?

=)

i'm in second pretty much ALL the time

my Anytime plus the Cantrell AIS sounds like a Stradivarius at 8k rpm

I agree, driving on lower gears and don't be afraid of hitting the REDLINE is the quickness and powerfull way of the NSX should be. I Enjoy every second of it.:smile:

I think its just you :biggrin:
I always stay in the lowest gear I can!
the NSX is for fun, not just to drive around from one point to another, screw the $3 gas. Its such a small price to pay for such fun :)

i have only had my 95 for about a month. (thanks nsxprime) i discovered just recently that 2nd is the best place to be. up to about 40-45mph its just the sweet spot, as they say. the sounds, the power you know that is ready to just get out makes it one satisfying cruise. the gas thing doesnt even cross my mind when it all just seems so perfect. thats what this car is for. its a reward. enjoy it.

I like to keep it in high RPM also. I don't care about the gas prices, around 2.90 for high oct right now. But are there any negative ramifications as far as engine life or parts breaking?

Intake, header, plus the RM exhaust make for an amazing, absolutely amazing song and power every time. Worth staying in the lower gear, feel and hear it.

nsxtasy said:
On the track, where you are going for maximum acceleration, then sure, I use third gear for all the turns and straights whenever I'm between 80 mph and 115 mph.

I use 3rd gear on the track also, but for a different reason-- because I'd either forget to downshift going into the turn or I'd drive right off the track trying to shift and brake hard at the same time!:biggrin: Ken can vouch for me.

pizzadude said:
Hello,
I shift up to 5th to get the better gas mileage. Anyone else find themselves cruising in 3rd a lot or is it just me?
I cruise in 2nd fairly frequently, mostly third on the street. This is the only time I actually don't mind the tall 2nd gear. There are trade offs for having tall gear ratio, but being able to hit 80mph in 2nd is very nice. NSX has very good throttle responds.

Back