Driver door will not open

I unlocked my door at the bank today and it would not open.Passenger door works (had to get in on that side and climb over to leave). The locks work the interior handle pulls cable I can see the cable end @ latch and it is pulling lever. The outside handle moves the rod down to the latch as far as I can see as it very hard to see looking thru the window slot with the window down. Can the door panel be removed with the door closed. I need to fix this tonight as it is my only ride this week. I could do like Bo Duke put it will rain and i could not leave my window down.I did search and found nothing.

I remember someone did have this problem before. He had to do some pretty drastic stuff. You might be able to find it if you keep searching.... Sorry not to be more help. Tough problem.

Thanks for your help. I have been searching and have found nothing.I have looked through the window slot and can see that the door lock linkage is also pulling at the latch. I am thinking of taking of passenger door panel to see if I can find something that will allow to open the door.

Man - after reading that other thread & envisaging what is ahead for nsxbaby, it make me want to go out & retro this part as a preventive measure!!!!!! (even if this does only make three recorded events on 'Prime)
My empathies to you - as bad as it would appear at least a couple of guys have been down that road & you can get some tips from them, as well as adding to it with some of your own.

I would suggest to start by taking apart the passenger door - even with the manual, pictures etc there's nothing like looking at the real thing to get a really good idea of how it goes together & to maybe stimulate other ideas.
I thought smoores suggestion to remove the seat is a good one (although I don't know about out the window - maybe out the passenger side makes more sense?); & yes, I guess you can bust off the tabs around the perimeter of the interior panel. Those you can repair if necessary (do a search for this by pbassjo who posted a nice how-to)

I sincerely wish you Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Malibu Rapper. That is exactly what mine is doing I will PM Newman and try to get pics.It looks like this is going to be an adventure.Some days it sucks to be me. Some days it don't.

You should be able to open the door and if you can get the window down it will make things even easier.
A good collision repair shop should have a nice long light, wedge and tools to insert through the glass opening and get the door open.

Don't screw up the door panel or anything else and don't let anyone attempt to do it if they aren't seasoned pros. This is nothing that unusual to a experienced tech.

pbassjo said:
You should be able to open the door and if you can get the window down it will make things even easier.
A good collision repair shop should have a nice long light, wedge and tools to insert through the glass opening and get the door open.

Don't screw up the door panel or anything else and don't let anyone attempt to do it if they aren't seasoned pros. This is nothing unusual to a experienced tech.
Even better advice!

This happened in my '00 accord. The dealer didn't use any "long light or wedges or rods" that you speak of pbassjo. Beats me how they opened it but when I saw it half the panel was off and the door was still stuck :eek:

Mine is at a body shop today and that is what they are going to try 1st.I went to dealer and they said that it had happend to an Accord and they had to tear up door panel and latch to get it open.They would only quote hourly rate plus parts and did not think they could do it with rods through window.
I am going to get a new latch assembly today so we will have it to try and find a way to open it as I will have to have one anyway.
Does anyone know where best price is for latch the dealer wants $475.00

Yes it was. The girls @ the bank are always wanting to know if I drove their car and I said yes.Then I can't get in the damn thing!!!!.The kicker is now I am pissed going home to try and fix this and I am out of beer!!. I make a stop at the beer store out and in thru the window then home to a night of drinking and tinkering. Didn't fix the door but I finished the 6 pack.
Just ordered the latch from Tim @ Ray's $352.00 plus $ 45.00 to get here next wed.
On the upside while @ body shop going to see if the can do paintless dent removal to repair spot on door where I got hit by a dog needless to say he had no insurance.

MoogieBoogie said:
While Ray Laks may have the best prices, their service isn't exactly the best.

Are you talking about the service department?? I've never had a problem ordering parts through Tim.

Now I wish I dealt with Tim. I worked with JR. I've heard rave reviews about Tim, but he was at lunch the first time I called to place my order. Anyway, sorry to jack the guy's thread - Ray Laks definitely has the lowest prices and should be able to help him with his parts.

EDIT: JR has fixed all the mistakes, and is taking care of me. They all provide great service!

Last edited:
My experience with Tim today was very good.He understood that I needed the part ASAP and suggested checking with local dealer 1st.The dealer was over $100.00 higher and would not budge even after I had told him he was to high. The lead time was about the same at the dealer as Tim's with the extra shipping charge.I would have paid 10% more to keep my money local and support my local dealer but $ 100.00 + on a $400.00 part is just to much.

Sorry to be so long on update but I had to wait 1 week for new latch to see if it would give any clues then I had to go to out of town for 1 week and have not had time to work on it.The local body shop and I tried all of the obvious combination of latches and levers after looking at the new latch and nothing worked. I decided to bring it home and deal with it myself. A friend of mine had access to a borescope so we got it and put it in through the window slot and inspected the linkage and it appeared that everything was in working order up to the last linkage that goes over the latch post. I had no choice but to start taking out the seats and tearing off the door panel.
Once i got the door panel off this was just the begining. I used a dremel with a flex shaft and cut off wheels,long drill bit and pry bars to just destroy the existing latch until I got down to the latch post and striker. I was then able to release the cam that held the striker in place and the door was finally open after about 10 hours of work.
This has been one of the most frustrating things I have ever done.I felt like I had to be part jeweler and part demo man. I have spent the last 4 years taking really good care of this great car and something this simple could cause so much trouble. I do not have a list of new part for the door panel that will have to purchased but I know I will have to buy plastic mounts around the panel and a plastic cam that some rods attach to that I broke with pry bar.
My car has 105,000 miles I have owned it since 62,000 I don't know the milage on the other 2 that has had this same problem but if any of you are in this range i would think you should really consider replacing this part I wish I had.

As long as you have this all apart, can you take a pic of the part you recommend replacing, its part number and where it is in the door?

This sounds like something I need to put on the preventative maint list.

If you open the door and look at the jamb on the door there is a slot where the door latches you will see the latch that is held on with 3 bolts this is the part that will go bad.I took some pictures tonight of old and new parts I will try to post them if I can along with part #.
I don't know if this was a daily driver or a weekend car before i purchased it therefore it is hard to determine how much action this door latch has seen but if it has had an average amount of use and this is the result I would say replace it as pm. The cost and heartache of not doing it is tough.
I am would also like to know what the inside of this part would look like if someone took it off before it failed to see if we could pinpoint the exact problem and maybe have a better action if and when it happens again.

Back