Downforce vs. STMPO- Front Brake Air Deflector

Interestingly enough, both products released within days of each other. What do you guys think? Although the STMPO does not list weight, they look fairly lightweight and both seem to do about the same thing.

Downforce:
Intro price: $135.00

brakeduct2.jpg

brakeduct3.jpg

STMPO:
Intro Price: $75.00

attachment.php

attachment.php

The design was taken from the original Sorcery brake duct I believe. You really can't assess the quality and/or weight by just look. The kind of reinforcement, resins and molding methods I'm sure are all different. Being a composite hobbiest myself, I can tell you the fit and finish are a true test for quality.

funny u posted this synth... i was thinking the exact same. o_O

very identical yet one is priced way lower.

I guess the question is....are the downforce front brake air deflector worth 75.00 more?? better material better fit???

any modifactions/trimming required for the Porshe air deflectors

personally, I like aluminum dali units @ $45. But yeah.....don't need to say much more at the moment.

The porsche thing seems like a hot catch. I'm just too lazy to pull off the little shields from the rotor

The design was taken from the original Sorcery brake duct I believe. You really can't assess the quality and/or weight by just look. The kind of reinforcement, resins and molding methods I'm sure are all different. Being a composite hobbiest myself, I can tell you the fit and finish are a true test for quality.

VRooM - We use 2 layers of 1.5 oz matte and 1 layer of cloth. These parts get composite one 33250 resin used with a winter catalyst (Cadox L-50a). Smaller parts typically stay on the mold for over 24 hours to help with the shrink rate until they are trimmed and removed for finish (other body parts and larger pieces stay on the mold for 24 hours or more inbetween layers)

I would weigh these... but quite frankly... they don't weigh anything...

I think that Dali, DF, and STMPO all got the design from the original sorcery product... Sorcery's and Dali's had trimming issue's.

I believe STMPO had released these months ago... they just re-released them after Downforce advertised theirs. Dali also had these a year ago in CF for $125.

Original Sorcery:
compare-sorcery.jpg

FYI: You can get the Porsche 993 air deflectors for $12 each and with just minimum modification make them work. :smile:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911L/POR_911L_SUSshk_pg2.htm

imgdsply.cgi

We did release these in August of last year... we have decided to keep our pricing competitive for multiple reason.

Those porshe 993 air deflectors have a reverse mounting point and will need to be butchered and jb welded (or whatever you want to use to attach plastic to plastic) back together... more time and effort than I would suggest going through... my $.02 though

I would also like to state the differences since this is a comparison thread..

DF
Wet CF
Better finish since we don't clear them
MSRP: $190.00 intro price $135.00 + shipping
No fender washers included for a stronger part to a-arm fitment

STMPO
Fiberglass cloth/matte combo
$75.00 shipped
Stainless Steel fender washers.. again.. not a big deal on cost... but a suggestion to anyone who is installing them and hopefully they send them out with their part soon.

Here is a thread for a new product release. As always we are ready to take the Pepsi challenge. Compare against any competitors product. This front brake deflector will fit and install without any need for trimming, this is something I'm pretty sure others on the market can't claim. Also we definitely have the best finish and the best material used as always. Beautiful finish on both sides, clear gloss on the front and clear matte on the backside. This is a pressurized closed molded part so the quality of construction is superior to anyone out there.

We have a lot of respect for DF and Peter. We hope that they were unaware of our part because some of these comments are incorrect. No trimming required on install. 100% clearence from the full exstension of the shock to the ground stance. We agree that CF and a two-sided clear coat finish would be considered the best material. Not the most ideal though for a part that sits behind the front wheels.

Attachments

• P1000221.jpg
    P1000221.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 139
  • P1000222.jpg
    P1000222.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 141
  • P1000223.jpg
    P1000223.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 114
  • P1000220.jpg
    P1000220.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
VRooM - We use 2 layers of 1.5 oz matte and 1 layer of cloth. These parts get composite one 33250 resin used with a winter catalyst (Cadox L-50a). Smaller parts typically stay on the mold for over 24 hours to help with the shrink rate until they are trimmed and removed for finish (other body parts and larger pieces stay on the mold for 24 hours or more inbetween layers)

I would weigh these... but quite frankly... they don't weigh anything...

I think that Dali, DF, and STMPO all got the design from the original sorcery product... Sorcery's and Dali's had trimming issue's.

We did release these in August of last year... we have decided to keep our pricing competitive for multiple reason.

Those porshe 993 air deflectors have a reverse mounting point and will need to be butchered and jb welded (or whatever you want to use to attach plastic to plastic) back together... more time and effort than I would suggest going through... my $.02 though

Actually, all you need to do is drill two holes and bolt them up (didn't use the mounting holes - which are vertical). Granted the DF, Dali and STMPO are all nicer.... but for $25 it did the trick.

Plus, everyone knows that Porsche parts add 15 hp.

Last edited:
Actually, all you need to do is drill two holes and bolt them up. Granted the DF, Dali and STMPO are all nicer.... but for $25 it did the trick.

My bad man... now I see what you meant on how to mount them.. I saw the OEM mounting points ande couldnt figure it out... very innovative...

Although the STMPO does not list weight, they look fairly lightweight and both seem to do about the same thing.

Forget inconsequential amounts of weight, such as a few ounces on your street car. Their is no practical performance benefit besides satisfying your consumer spending urge.

What do you guys think?

The function of a brake deflector is to provide greater airflow across the surface of the rotor. The only scenario whereas you could possibly require this; is if you were driving on a closed course whereas sustained high brake temps were observed, and you actually required better cooling. If this was the case you would probably have realized brake fade and/or been regularly cracking rotors up to this point and someone would have mentioned it to you.

In any case, these are inches from the ground, and are inevitably going to get hammered by debris with any significant amount of actual driving. Unless you have a love affair with your underbody; I wouldn't go ape shit on nice looking brake deflectors. DIY- or if you just want a bolt-on solution- I would suggest you save your money and get the cheap ones from Ross at STMPO. I've seen them and they should be just fine.

I guess the question is....are the downforce front brake air deflector worth 75.00 more?? better material better fit???

I haven't seen them in person, but from the picture you posted it just looks like a top layer of CFRP; so more aesthetically pleasing. Generally, my experience has been that aluminum is nice because you can always bend it back, whereas composites will crack and require a more involved repair. Particularly if the vehicle is lowered, it's going to get ripped up.

Another idea- if your actual goal is to lower brake temps because you have observed a genuine need to do that. For $135 if you feel adventurous and care to DIY you could buy neoprene or silicon brake duct and put a functional shroud together for about the same price. From a performance perspective, brake deflectors are always going to be second best.

Bottom line- IMHO I doubt you two need either. There are a lot better things for you two to be spending your money on at this point... like hand polishing the whole underside of the chassis. :wink:

My 0.02 :smile:

Last edited:
I would also like to state the differences since this is a comparison thread..

DF
Wet CF
Better finish since we don't clear them
MSRP: $190.00 intro price $135.00 + shipping
No fender washers included for a stronger part to a-arm fitment

STMPO
Fiberglass cloth/matte combo
$75.00 shipped
Stainless Steel fender washers.. again.. not a big deal on cost... but a suggestion to anyone who is installing them and hopefully they send them out with their part soon.

Here is a thread for a new product release. As always we are ready to take the Pepsi challenge. Compare against any competitors product. This front brake deflector will fit and install without any need for trimming, this is something I'm pretty sure others on the market can't claim. Also we definitely have the best finish and the best material used as always. Beautiful finish on both sides, clear gloss on the front and clear matte on the backside. This is a pressurized closed molded part so the quality of construction is superior to anyone out there.

We have a lot of respect for DF and Peter. We hope that they were unaware of our part because some of these comments are incorrect. No trimming required on install. 100% clearence from the full exstension of the shock to the ground stance. We agree that CF and a two-sided clear coat finish would be considered the best material. Not the most ideal though for a part that sits behind the front wheels.

Sorry but I have to post a response to this particular post. If you worked on composites then you should understand the only way to achieve a finish like ours on the back side is through pressure closed mold process. So to refute any misconception here is the breakdown.

Facts
1.) Our brake duct is pure carbon fiber (4 layers of carbon and no fiberglass).
2.) This is not a wet layup, it is a pressure infused closed molded process.
3.) This part weighs less and stronger then any company's unless someone made an autoclave part.
4.) This part is smooth on both sides, fit and finish is superior to anyone!
5.) Our parts comes with metal washers with rubber seals already, it's not even worth mentioning for us.
6.) I spent a lot on this mold to make a superior part, just asking a little bit more compared to others. At this sale price its possible I'm selling at cost or below.

Sorry but I have to post a response to this particular post. If you worked on composites then you should understand the only way to achieve a finish like ours on the back side is through pressure closed mold process. So to refute any misconception here is the breakdown.

Facts
1.) Our brake duct is pure carbon fiber (4 layers of carbon and no fiberglass).
2.) This is not a wet layup, it is a pressure infused closed molded process.
3.) This part weighs less and stronger then any company's unless someone made an autoclave part.
4.) This part is smooth on both sides, fit and finish is superior to anyone!
5.) Our parts comes with metal washers with rubber seals already, it's not even worth mentioning for us.
6.) I spent a lot on this mold to make a superior part, just asking a little bit more compared to others. At this sale price its possible I'm selling at cost or below.

Hey Peter... were gonna be here with you now... so lets make an effort to respect each other. We didnt mean to mis-represent you and you misrepresented us... So we apoligize if you thought we were taking at shot at ya...

DF makes great stuff... Keep it up and make it through this rough economic time for the community's sake...

Generally, my experience has been that aluminum is nice because you can always bend it back, whereas composites will crack and require a more involved repair. Particularly if the vehicle is lowered, it's going to get ripped up.

I'm lazy... the ground bent my Dali Aluminum deflectors back just perfectly for me. :biggrin:

If they had been FRP or CF they would have been crushed, cracked or ripped off. I think the Dali Alum sit a little lower than these though... you just have to make sure that these things aren't hanging down below - although that's where the airflow is.

Attachments

• Photo_021209_002.jpg
    Photo_021209_002.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
I have the STMPO brake air deflectors on my car.
I have seen the DF brake deflectors. They are pretty much the same thing and may weigh a few onces less.
The only difference to me is the $75.00 in pricing.
They are made to catch air and are not a highly visible part and that's what they do.
The STMPO brake air deflectors have been on my car for now for quite some time and they've seen the track many, many times and they are still there and still working as they should.

That's not to say that DF doesn't make quality parts because they do make some killer parts, but in this case, form and function was the same.

I bought the STMPO's and spent the $75.00 I saved on something else for my NSX.

Last edited:
LOL....no sh*t, huh....

You guys must be really really bored to take this thread to 15 posts. This is like discussing which tire valve stem cover looks prettier.

Too funny Hugh....

No trimming required on install. 100% clearence from the full exstension of the shock to the ground stance.

I purchased the D.F. version and had to trim mine as both sides were not the same mirror images.

Back