Don Nguyen | AP1 S2K Track Car - Carbon Fiber Full Body Wrap

Doing a full car wrap on my buddy's S2k. It's a in-progress track car, and instead of painting it, he decided to have me wrap it with my carbon fiber material to give it a different look/style.

fullwrap.jpg

fullwrap2.jpg

fullwrap3.jpg

(The lighter/white spots are just from the dust from my hands when I was working with the vinyl)
fullwrap4.jpg

(Since it's a track car, we just laid the carbon fiber vinyl over the old mounting holes for the stock mirrors, which is why it looks wavy in that area of the door)
fullwrap5.jpg

fullwrap6.jpg

(I did the main piece/section here, and he did the small side pieces. A good example/note to make here is to be careful when installing vinyl, as you can scratch it, leaving the white residue that you see in between the seams there)
fullwrap7.jpg

fullwrap8.jpg

(Matte black hood)
fullwrap9.jpg

fullwrap10.jpg

fullwrap11.jpg

fullwrap12.jpg

fullwrap13.jpg

fullwrap14.jpg

fullwrap15.jpg

If you guys have any questions, or want any specific pictures let me know, and I'll take some for you guys.

-Don

That wrap was the rage at sema this year.Every other vendor had some form of black matte/cf wrap.

What would happen if you laid the entire car in that vinyl and then had about 5 layers of clearcoat added on top??

What would happen if you laid the entire car in that vinyl and then had about 5 layers of clearcoat added on top??

That would be like putting paint on wallpaper.:eek::wink::rolleyes::biggrin:

What you'd be trying to achieve would be accomplished instead by an epoxy type of gel coat that's used in molds to give the 3D-like appearance on cosmetic wet-layup carbon-fiber parts. This gel-coat is then wet-sanded down to a smooth, glass-like finish. Clear-coat adds scratch resistance, prevention of hazing/clouding, and UV protection from from solar discoloration.

Order a freebie sample of the material from one of the many suppliers, and you'll get an idea of what the material is like (imagine a permeable, synthetic fabric w/ a slight texture).

As slamstrom said, it'd be analogous to putting nail-polish on your skin (if that even makes sense). Clear-coat is nothing like epoxy-resin or gel-coat, which is what gives carbon-fiber parts their rigidity, smooth surface, and visually deep appearance. . .

Last edited:
Not sure how clear coat would affect the vinyl. However, I don't think it'd be able to give you same affect/look as you are used to seeing with most standard CF parts.

-Don

Back