Does the NSX suit me?

Hey guys,

I have enjoyed browsing the threads, and have educated myself into the major issues with purchasing the cars. My questions may be a bit silly, but I'm going to ask anyway. :)

One of the reasons I love my M3 is that I can do all the routine maintenance on the thing. Brakes are a no-brainer, fluids are not a problem. I can't stand to let anyone else work on my car, and simply hate going to a dealer. It has been my experience that mechanics mess the cars up more than they fix them..

That said, can I get by without taking the NSX in for expert service?

What are the odds of "Major engine failure"?

What are the odds of "Major transmission failure"? (besides the snapring issue)

On a subjective scale; how reliable are these cars? I know they can't keep up with a civic in this regard, but give me some sense of how often I'm going to be turning wrenches..

-Jeremy

I have owned my NSX for almost 2 years (bought it new) and have over 63k miles on the odometer. The only problems I have encountered mechanically have been self induced (track use).

Tie-rod ends (too many rough berms)
Clutch (not knowing how to heel-toe downshift)
Fender liners (tires too tall)
Rear knuckle (armco impact)
2nd gear (pulled too hard during downshift)

You should be able to do just about every maintenance task. The major ones you should leave for an expert, such as, engine rebuilding, timing belt/water pump.

good luck

jdc1687 said:
On a subjective scale; how reliable are these cars? I know they can't keep up with a civic in this regard, but give me some sense of how often I'm going to be turning wrenches..
Why shouldn't an NSX be as reliable as a Civic?

A key part of why I wanted an NSX is its fine record with respect to reliability.

jdc1687 said:
What are the odds of "Major engine failure"?

Somewhere between Lotto and Powerball. :biggrin:
Same for the tranny. Both these opinions are based on experience with NSX's that have had proper care and fluid changes.

Compared to BMW, I think the NSX shows superior mechnical design in all areas but especially in the two you ask about- reliability and servicability.

JME,
MB

You don't mention the year NSX you're interested in. I mention that because YOU mention "snap ring". That is only a problem on 91-92(?) models.

The biggest(?) advantage of owning an NSX is also one of biggest "detriments" (to its widespread lack of popularity that is) at the same time, that is, at its heart, it is a Honda. That means little to NO problems along with relatively low maintenance intervals and cost.

I've never heard of a "major engine failure" around here but I will back off now (I am not now an NSX owner nor am I a "wrench-head") and let the real experts around here give their advice. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info guys!

Compared to BMW, I think the NSX shows superior mechnical design in all areas but especially in the two you ask about- reliability and servicability.

If you put the NSX in the same league as the M3 reliability wise; it is doing really well.. But to say it is even better!? I'm not sure about that :tongue: I simply love my m3 :smile:

A key part of why I wanted an NSX is its fine record with respect to reliability.

Top in J.D. Power 5 year.. ok.. Maybe it is better than the M3. :mad:

You don't mention the year NSX you're interested in. I mention that because YOU mention "snap ring". That is only a problem on 91-92(?) models.

I am open to the model year.. I would prefer a newer car since rubber/plastic parts age no matter how many miles are on the car. However, it seems that there are a lot of 91/92s that are available at a reasonable price.. Since I'll have a second car it wouldn't be too much of a problem if I had to let the NSX sit for a couple weeks while waiting for parts, etc..

The most important thing to me is that the car is stock, or nearly stock. With less than 50k miles.. My goal would be to purchase it for 25k USD, but a more realistic price for a car with those miles seems to be more around 30-35k.. What do you think?

-Jeremy

NSXTech said:

JME,
MB

I don't agree in regards to technical superiority. The current BMW E46 M3 generates 333 hp from it's 3.2 liter motor and Honda's NSX makes only 290. Also the BMW Vannos system is more advanced than VTEC. Reliability is a different story.

oh.. The Irony..

I wrote that post about the M3 being reliable not two hours ago.. Guess what? My car broke down as I was driving home from work!

I noticed the thermo needle hitting the red line, and the light comes on. :mad:

So I pulled over, no steam was coming out so it never got that hot.. I let it sit for about 10 minutes, then drove it a mile to get off the highway. Then let it sit for about 20 minutes while I read through my Bentley manual, which I just happen to keep IN the car! Fortunately I was only a little way from home so I'd get the car going, then turn it off and cruise.. haha, I'm a dork :)

I'm 90% sure it is the water pump.. The 95/96 has a known problem with the plastic impeller which they changed to metal in 97. The fans are running, the thermostat is opening, and the coolant level is fine.. If not the pump, the head gasket.. sigh..

-Jeremy

Just to do it justice..

The car does have 107k miles on it, and I autocross it..

CerberusM5 said:
I don't agree in regards to technical superiority. The current BMW E46 M3 generates 333 hp from it's 3.2 liter motor and Honda's NSX makes only 290. Also the BMW Vannos system is more advanced than VTEC. Reliability is a different story.

The new GTO makes 400hp, or is that 450? Does anyone think ANY Pontiac is technically superior to a Honda product. I don't, personally.
That said, the technology of HP may be greater on one brands model than on anothers, but IMO, that doesn't make the CAR technically superior.

Highly Biased, :wink:
MB

I think the E46 M3(the new one) is a sad departure from BMW's old vision: "The Ultimate Driving Machine". The car is fast, it handles well, it is fairly reliable.. But... Inside it feels more like a 540, and the car feels "fat". It has too many widgets.. I think it has lost any "sports car" appeal and is now only a touring car. For many people that is a perfect combination, but to imagine that car was spawned from the E30 makes me wonder what the Germans are thinking.

In any case; for 50k USD I'd choose a 993 C4S, or a 996 C2 any day.. Oh wait, this is an NSX forum.. I'd choose a 97 NSX-T :)

hehe
-Jeremy

Long follow-up

jdc1687 said:
I wrote that post about the M3 being reliable not two hours ago.. Guess what? My car broke down as I was driving home from work!

I noticed the thermo needle hitting the red line, and the light comes on. :mad:

So I pulled over, no steam was coming out so it never got that hot.. I let it sit for about 10 minutes, then drove it a mile to get off the highway. Then let it sit for about 20 minutes while I read through my Bentley manual, which I just happen to keep IN the car! Fortunately I was only a little way from home so I'd get the car going, then turn it off and cruise.. haha, I'm a dork :)

I'm 90% sure it is the water pump.. The 95/96 has a known problem with the plastic impeller which they changed to metal in 97. The fans are running, the thermostat is opening, and the coolant level is fine.. If not the pump, the head gasket.. sigh..

-Jeremy

After a hell week at work, one final in school, and a term paper; I finally had a chance to take a look at my M3.. I was 90% sure it was the water pump since there were no obvoius leaks, plenty of fluid, fans were running, and the upper radiator hose was hot (thermostat was opening). Baring a warped head, cracked block, or plugged lines; it was the water pump.

I replaced the upper/lower radiator hoses, thermostat housing, thermostat, and the water pump. The old water pump had a plastic impeller, a known problem, and I swapped it for a metal one. After playing with the old pump, the impeller was just spinning on it's drive axel! No wonder it didn't pump much water :)

So then, I could tackle the dragging left front brake.. Took the caliper off, and got the piston out, that was a serious fight.. The bore needed to be honed near the top, and the piston was pitted.. I did the best I could with scotch brite to get the piston in shape, but it still looks ugly.. But after the bore hone, and a piston clean up; the assembly fit nicely.. New o-ring, and new dust seal in place.. replaced all the brake fliud, and the car is running mint now.. I worry a little about the pitting and will post pictures as soon as I have them...

-Jeremy

PS: Does anyone here like to get dirty with their NSX? I find that when I work on my M3 I fall in love with it more...

Back