Does it look good??

Hey guys......I was lookn' for a quick outside opinion. Does this look OK or should I have left them alone.

I used High temperature Exhaust manifold paint, and it took all day to take them off the car and religiously clean them. After painting I had to bake the calipers in the oven to cure the paint.

BrakeProject0011.jpg

BrakeProject0012.jpg

BrakeProject0019.jpg

BrakeProject0024.jpg

BrakeProject0026.jpg

I'm going to post some more pics later after I bleed the brakes. I literally just finished putting the calipers on about 30 minutes ago, I just stopped for a brake (haha :))

That looks AWESOME!!! I would let you do my brakes like that anytime!!! :D ;)

Regards,
- Z

Very nice job on the calipers. BTW, what kind of towel is that on the front fenders that says NSX on it? Is it a cover similar to the one on the rear fenders that mechanics use to work on the engine?

planz...

hmmm, it looks excellent`e! I was planning for a machined/metallic look w/ the script/accents in a dk. enamel, too (as soon as I get my newer wheels)... Job well-done, man! :cool:

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys :) I will have pictures with the superleggeras on tomorrow.

BTW, what kind of towel is that on the front fenders that says NSX on it?
That's a foam mechanics fender guard. It's non-slip and very soft, the NSX is embroidered into the corner. I'm not sure where you can get it, I won it at NSXPO last year, I use it all the time.

OK........Here are some pictures with the wheels on the car. I'm afraid this will be as good as it will ever look because I just installed track pads which I'm told will produce insane amounts of brake dust. :(:(

BrakeProject-20002.jpg

BrakeProject-20003.jpg

BrakeProject-20005.jpg

BrakeProject-20006.jpg

Re: planz...

Osiris_x11 said:
I was planning for a machined/metallic look w/ the script/accents in a dk. enamel, (as soon as I get my newer wheels)... ! :cool:

What? Newer wheels? what happend to the talk about "keep'in it real" in your avatar?

BTW, JadKar, the outcome with the silver/black combination looks NICE.:D

it's all good...!

Fastrunner said:
What? Newer wheels? what happend to the talk about "keep'in it real" in your avatar?

hmmm, the wheels i have on the horizon... are made by Yokahama (so i believe???), so it's on par w/ "keepin' it real" w/ an asterik ;) . . .

I am considering 'bronze-powder coating the phat-5-spokerz (as dubbed by Ojas) w/ a polished lip, for auto-cross/track...and of-course "KEEPIN' IT REAL" :cool:

The combination looks very good. Especially in combination with your Superleggera's.
The color you've chosen looks very shiny.
Makes me wonder if anyone has ever had their suspension arms painted as well. Those aluminum parts tend to be very dull after a while and I am now wondering how it would look like.

The combination looks very good. Especially in combination with your Superleggera's.
The color you've chosen looks very shiny.
Makes me wonder if anyone has ever had their suspension arms painted as well. Those aluminum parts tend to be very dull after a while and I am now wondering how it would look like to have those painted in the same bright color.

You are definately doing a good job, for mine, I just used spray paint and masking tape, I didn't bother to paint the back half and being picky cuz I'll take the car to the track, and how this paint going to withstand the temp is unknown..

I used the 1200 degree aluminum silver as base then a metallic base coat with a red anodized paint on top.

Attachments

• wheelcloseup.m.jpg
    wheelcloseup.m.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,212
Guys,

Those are awesome paint jobs...at first I didnt even know you did those yourselves, I had to re-read the post!

Where did you find the paint?? How does baking in the oven help??

Looks like I found a new inexpensive project!!:D

ANY help on how to do it would be greatly appreciated!

Where did you find the paint?? How does baking in the oven help??

Looks like I found a new inexpensive project!!

I used Plastikote Ultra high temp paint (usually used on items like exhaust manifolds) it's good up to 1500 degrees!! Fahrenheit. After reading the instructions they claim that the paint must be "cured" in a non-household oven at 600 degrees for 1 hour. Well I took huge precautions because I didn't have an industrial type of oven. I was very concerned about 2 things; build up of vapor and a possible explosion, and also the rubber seals on the calipers failing from excessive heat. Because of these concerns I WOULDN'T recommend someone else trying this. If you do, remember I warned you.

Anyway, I took precautions. First I left the door of the oven slightly ajar and set a fan up to draw the fumes out. The seals on the calipers, I have to say, I took a chance and based on an educated guess. Basically I didn’t think my household oven would get hotter than 350 degrees especially with the door open, and I was pretty certain the seals could handle that. Because of the lower temperature in the oven then what Plastikote recommended I left the calipers baking for 2.5 hours.

As of now, everything is fine, the seals held up without a hitch and the paint seemed to have cured perfectly. I guess I will see after a few track sessions when I clean the dust off with my wheels cleaner. I think I will be OK.

The hardest part for me was getting the brake fluid to stay off the caliper. I had to clean the calipers 3 times, and then plug up the brake line screw hole so the remaining fluid didn't seep out onto the clean surface. Doesn't seem hard, but how many people have 4 bolts with the right thread lying around to use?? I took bolts that were slightly smaller, and I wrapped them in electrical tape and threaded them into the hole. This sealed the hole perfectly.

Hope that helped

Last edited:
As opposed to Jadkar, my version of this DIY is much more stragiht forward.

As opposed to take the caliper off and paint and put 'em in the oven; I just sprayed paint them when everything's on the car.

The brand of spray paint I used is the Dupli color products. You should find it in every automotive stores or even the auto dept. in walmart and Kmart.

here's the link for the annodized red I used.http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalcast.html

I'm not sure if that would help but I used the 1200 degree engine paint for a base coat.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html

Here's the procedure...

1. I'll just get the wire brush thingie with my drill to kind of clean up the brake dust, and also get the paint off the nsx letter..

2. Clean up with paint thinner.

3. Start using masking tape for the part that you don't want the paint getting on, in my case, I make sure there isn't any paint gets on the breeder screws... For the brake rotor, I used the aluminum foil to cover the rotor, and use the masking tape to tape off the gap between the pads and rotor.

4. Don't forget cover the suspensions, and brake hose, I don't think the paint will harm those parts, but it sure looks nicer without the overspray.

5. I also used the plastic wrap and stick them to the edge of the body panels, bumpers and the front lip ( just to avoid over spray, better be safe than sorry... I had once sprayed myself with blue color to my skin for not paying attention where the nozzle pointed at... one of my early spraying days... :) )

6. So I went with the aluminum high temp paint for base, then add two coat of the metal cast base coat to give the paint a little depth, finish it off with 2 thin coats of the metal cast red. Note that as soon as the surface is not sticky, it's ready for the second coat. that of course, keep your coats as thin as possible.

7. I ended up touching up the nsx letters with a toothpick (well 3 of them) and the high temp paint I left off...

8. You can see the result in my pic on my post above. Since it's annodized the color is more vibrant under direct sunlight and flashes... in normal darker shade, it had a dark red apperance, I like that cuz it's a little less "Ricey" :)

This thread has inspired me to paint my calipers today.

I used 4 Enamel Glossy Black paint from Walmart which cost me less than a dollar per bottle and i also use a glossy white Enamel Marker to highlight the logo.

BTW/ I took me about 20 min. to paint each caliper.

Here are the pictures
Spike9711137-DCP_0345.JPG

Spike9711137-DCP_0344.JPG

Back