Does Discount Tire have a clue about NSX fitment? Answer is 'NO'...

This is the story of today and the adventures I had looking for wheels and tires for the NSX, and my reluctant call to Discount Tire (who are the only people listed that sell the Rays G-Games 77W wheels).

I called Discount Tire (after hearing some funny stories about their sizing) and requested a price and size quote for the G.Games 77W wheels for my NSX. The individual I spoke with did not even know they sold the wheels (eventhough they are the EXCLUSIVE DISTRIBUTOR for the wheel). After 5 minutes of explanation, I convinced him that they DID in fact sell those wheels and I needed a price. Oh my, this is going to be good.

The first bit of fun was getting the make and model of the car correct. After two previous times of telling him what kind of car it was, he asked me again. I refreshed his memory that it was an Acura NSX. He said, ' A GRX,' and was baffled. Did you know Acura made an GRX?? Evidently this guy thought so. So this time I very slowly said each letter as clearly as possible, 'N-S-X,' and waited for it to set in. Keep in mind, I speak very clearly, so he should have got it the first two times he asked.

After several minutes of mental brain lock on his part, the clouds cleared and finally he spec'd out a set of 17x7 front and 18x7.5 rear wheels. I advised him that that was pretty thin in the back and it did not sound right, then asked what tires he would run. Discount Tire guy said 205/40-17 front and 215/35-18 rear!!!! I was stunned, so he said I could 'go wide' by putting 225's on the back.

A long discussion ensued regarding wheel and tire sizes, and I just gave up. The guy went as far as to say that a 18x7.5 inch wheel is WIDER than a 17x8.5 inch wheel. He insisted that a 7.5 inch width is actually stretched on an 18 inch wheel to be bigger. LOL!!

Bottom line, there is no right fitment as far as I can tell, and they have no idea what they are doing at Discount Tire but insist that the specs they gave me are correct. Use extreme caution and do your research when fitting NSX wheels and tires. The sizes they gave were WAY wrong in terms of load capacity and overall diameter. Now back to the research.... :)

If you are going to use Discount Tire, I would suggest finding a local Discount Tire store (if you have one within driving distance). You can have them order a rim to test fit, and install a tire at the shop. Then, you are only out the shipping for a single rim (and tire if they had to order one) if it does not fit. Though, if you are doing different sizes front and rear, you may need two.

I did this a few years ago with a different car where I found the wheels I wanted, but the offset was a little lower than normal and I wanted to make sure there woudln't be any clearance problems as a result.

Steven Spanbauer said:
If you want that Rim that bad go with the 18x8 fronts and 19x9.5 rears.
I wouldn't.

Steven, have you talked with John Vasos about how many oversized rims like that he has seen damaged due to the short sidewall height?

Ken I guess I should of worded that different I would never go with a 18-19 combo I still think the 17-18 is the way to go...But there a few NSX owners that want the 18-19 combo look but will have a better chance of curb damage possible rubbing issues and a limited size for tires.

Steven Spanbauer said:
If you want that Rim that bad go with the 18x8 fronts and 19x9.5 rears.

No thank you. I was hesitant to go 17/18, but anything bigger than that will just be problematic. Handling would be terrible, they are heavy, and I would be bending wheels every day here in Indiana. Thanks for the thought though. :)

Back