Does anything like this exist in SoCal?

There are many things that I love about living in LA, but one thing that constantly annoys me is the lack of space to work on my own car. I live in a townhouse and the rules state I can't do any mechanical work in the garage, and there really isn't even any good spot to wash it. I hate taking my car to someone else for simple mechanical things... not even so much for the cost issue, but more because there is a certain satisfaction that comes with doing things yourself.

So I was wondering... is there some place where you could go and "rent" garage time? Just a nice little space with some floor jacks or something where you could do simple things like change your oil, install suspension, exhaust, whatever, and maybe a spot to wash and detail the car as well. Does anything like this exist? For those of us in LA proper, the lack of space is annoying and it would be nice to have a facility where one could go and freely work on their vehicle....

Commercial rent-a-garage would be nice, but one word escapes this great idea: Owner liability.

Other than car washes, is there something specific you want to work on? Maybe myself or other members of the board can help you out in their garages.

If the garage door isn't open enough for them to see in, how would they know? Go buy a roll of the cheapest old used carpet you can buy and lay it down.

Commercial rent-a-garage would be nice, but one word escapes this great idea: Owner liability.
That's TWO words lol ;)

I'm sure if you ask nicely, Ramon at Niguel Motors may let you do it. Call and ask for the manager. I usually do, but only get the janitor to pick up. Weird :wink:.

I agree, any chance of working on it with the garage closed? In my old condo, we had the same rules but nobody blew the whistle on me and I HAD A SCISSOR JACK in my 2 car garage along w/ a compressor. :eek:
Jeff

So I was wondering... is there some place where you could go and "rent" garage time? Just a nice little space with some floor jacks or something where you could do simple things like change your oil, install suspension, exhaust, whatever, and maybe a spot to wash and detail the car as well. Does anything like this exist? For those of us in LA proper, the lack of space is annoying and it would be nice to have a facility where one could go and freely work on their vehicle....

A long time ago (over 30 years) there used to be a place just as you describe in the SF Valley. The business was owned by Mobil. You could could rent a stall by the hour. It had a a lift, air compressor, water and a dump tank for oil and another for other fluids. They sold Mobil products if you didn't bring your own. You had to supply your own tools.

Great concept. It went out of business after a couple of years.

A long time ago (over 30 years) there used to be a place just as you describe in the SF Valley. The business was owned by Mobil. You could could rent a stall by the hour. It had a a lift, air compressor, water and a dump tank for oil and another for other fluids. They sold Mobil products if you didn't bring your own. You had to supply your own tools.

Great concept. It went out of business after a couple of years.

interesting... I wonder why they closed. I would have used them for sure, 30 years too late I guess :biggrin:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I currently have a couple friends with garages that I mooch off of, and it sounds like there are a few on here I might be able to add to the rotation, haha :biggrin: I would definitely bring beers and babes! Ok, maybe just beers...

There are many things that I love about living in LA, but one thing that constantly annoys me is the lack of space to work on my own car. I live in a townhouse and the rules state I can't do any mechanical work in the garage, and there really isn't even any good spot to wash it. I hate taking my car to someone else for simple mechanical things... not even so much for the cost issue, but more because there is a certain satisfaction that comes with doing things yourself.

I know this probably doesn't help, but the military bases offer this. It's called the hobby shop and charge 1.50 an hour for a stall and 4.50 an hour for lifts. They have all tools to use for free also. I could get you in, but you have to drive all the way up here. :)

Last edited:
^^^^^

Yea if you know anyone that could get on any military base they have those hobby shops. All the bases in San Diego have 'em and I'm sure every other base as well. If not...

Get to know owners of Smog/oil shops in your area and I'm sure they'll let you use their lifts. If I can't get on base I usually just work in my friends smog/oil shop.

Last edited:
Back