Do you put in 5qts or 5.3 qts of oil when you do your oil change??

As everybody can see I'm pretty new to the NSX community and car itself. I just did my first oil change about 2 weeks ago and noticed that the manual said the capacity was 5.3 qts of oil. My other vehicle takes 5.49qts of oil and the first time I did an oil change on that car and put in exactly what the manual said too, afterwards I checked the dipstick like normal and realized that I was over filling by what the dipstick was showing. So after that oil change I stuck to 5 qts of oil with that particular car and every time since then 5 qts has filled it to the full mark on the dip stick, and have been doing that for the last 45,000 miles with no issues whatsoever.

Now I thought I would do that with the NSX and when I changed the oil I put in 5 qts and checked the dipstick and it showed full. I even drove the car for a little while and let the car sit and checked the oil after it had time to drain and it still showed full on the dip stick. I then ran into this old thread where Larry B stated and I quote "Well, the bottom line is you did it! BTW, make sure with the car warmed up, engine off for 3-4 minutes, you check the oil level. My 1991 uses EXACTLY 5.3 qts after an oil/filter change."

So what do you guys fill to 5 or 5.3 qts??

Thx

As long as you are in acceptable range on the dipstick you should be fine, and it sounds like you are cognizant of how much you are putting in your own engine. That .3 difference could be a combination of filter size and how well drained the engine is. Some people evacuate oil, others let it drain for hours, and some do a quick change - all netting slightly different results. If you are like me you drain on a hot engine so it flows out like water and in the process burn yourself, lose the drain bolt in pan, which overflows 5 quarts on the ground that you are laying on.

5 qts is fine, buy the big one and only Mobil1 since they created synthetic oil they know the most about it. now its more pricey but the NSX is worht it.

and dont use Purcolator oil filters they have been known to fail so I have heard. only OEM filters for my NSX

5 qts is fine, buy the big one and only Mobil1 since they created synthetic oil they know the most about it. now its more pricey but the NSX is worht it.

and dont use Purcolator oil filters they have been known to fail so I have heard. only OEM filters for my NSX

Five quarts even in mine actually shows it overfilled slightly. slightly... :)

Last time I bought a jug of Mobil 1, the container said "5+ quarts"

As long as you are in acceptable range on the dipstick you should be fine, and it sounds like you are cognizant of how much you are putting in your own engine. That .3 difference could be a combination of filter size and how well drained the engine is. Some people evacuate oil, others let it drain for hours, and some do a quick change - all netting slightly different results. If you are like me you drain on a hot engine so it flows out like water and in the process burn yourself, lose the drain bolt in pan, which overflows 5 quarts on the ground that you are laying on.
Yes it's piping hot when I drain it as too get all of the oil out as possible when it's free flowing. What you said makes sense about the combination of the filter size etc..... Thx

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Five quarts even in mine actually shows it overfilled slightly. slightly... :)
Thanks guys that confirms my use of just 5 qts when it comes time to swap it out:smile:

Last edited:
I like to make sure the oil is exactly full when my oil change is done. I've learned from experience how much oil that takes.

On the NSX, if I used exactly five quarts, the dipstick would show the oil level down 0.3 quart (30 percent of the way from the top hashmark on the dipstick to the bottom one). So I started giving my mechanic exactly 5.3 quarts (a one-quart container from which I had drained all but 9.6 ounces), and it always came out exactly full. In my case, 5.3 quarts. But if yours is exactly full with 5.0 quarts, then that's what I recommend using.

On my other car (a 2004 MDX), they specify 4.5 quarts, but I've learned over time that that will overfill it. If I give him exactly 4.0 quarts, it comes out exactly full.

Oh, and if you're looking for a great deal on major-brand full synthetic oil, right now you can buy a five-quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum (including 10W30) at Walmart for $24.97, and then get $10 back by mail (click here). Which works out to $15 for five quarts.

- - - Updated - - -

Incidentally, just for fun, I did a comparison of different dipstick reading techniques on the MDX. Like the NSX, they tell you to read the oil level when the engine is warm (has been running then shut off for a few minutes), and doing what I call a "second pull" (you pull the dipstick, wipe it off, re-insert it, then pull it again and read it). I compared dipstick readings for the first pull vs the second pull, and for a cold engine vs a warmed-up engine, just to see what the differences are. I posted about them here. There were differences, but the variations were only a few ounces, not a big deal.

I am also a huge fan of the double dip pull out method. I even do a third sometimes just because.

I (among others) also fill my car up only with 5 quarts. It usually ends up just below the full marking on the dipstick after all is said and done.
That's really fine. There's nothing special about having the oil level right at that top mark. As noted in the owner's manual, the oil level is okay anywhere from the top mark (full) to the bottom mark (one quart below full). Being at the top mark gives you a little bit more time/miles before it reaches the bottom if you're consuming oil, but if you're not consuming much, that's not a consideration at all.

So if you like, by all means just use the five quarts in the jug and don't worry if the level is 0.3 quart below the top mark.

Ummm, if I recall correctly...my last oil change was closer to 4.3 quarts. 1 gallon jug + 1/2 quart jug. Something wrong here?
I've never used 4.3 or 4.5. But as long as the level is between the two hash marks on the dipstick, it's not a problem. (Preferably closer to the top mark than the bottom.)

Just finished my oil and filter change and used exactly 5.3q. I usually pt the .3q into the oil filter and the 5q into the motor.

Back