do the seats match the interior???

Osiris_x11

Gold Member, Moderator: Marketplace
hey 'Prime Guru's. . . I came across a pic of a '92 blk/blk NSX w/ a clean car-fax JH4NA1153NT000100. The seats are black, whereas the carpeting and door panels etc are tan/ivory. I've never come across such a combo. With a tan/ivory interior, I'd expect tan/ivory seats. :confused:

Reasons for someone to change seats? (ie. flood, normal wear-n-tear, personal tastes...?)

Please comment. I appreciate your insights, as always.

Attachments

• black_ivory.int.jpg
    black_ivory.int.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 366
I agree, the seats look like they were Ivory and then replaced. And I also agree that they look nice. I'm considering doing somewhat the same look, but with some aftermarket seats. :)

ps - someone please remove that wood grain!!!! :eek: :p

Last edited:
Looks fantastic and is what I would do with an Ivory interior. You just have to make sure the seats were not swapped to hide high mileage as the seat condition gives that away. Used seats are cheap.
Make sure this car has records.

Interior color

They may have redone the seats due to wear or to update the color, IMO looks good

I would assume that the seats were replaced with another set, rather than re-done in black.

If I had to guess, I would think that the seats were replaced due to wear/tear on the ivory - most ivory seats I have seen (there have been a couple) have not shown their age well.

Are those floor mats factory?

Also, if the interior were changed due to flood, I would expect the carpets to have been changed, not the seats...

Those seats were reupholstered.

OEM seats should have ripples in the leather like the ones you see on the door panel (see pic above). As you can see, the seats are more taut.

Actually, I'm not sure about that - my seats have not been reupholstered, and they look just like that; they don't have many creases or ripples. The only spot that has been reupholstered (just the side bolster on the driver's side seat) has a bumpty finish as opposed to a grainy finish.

The other reason I would doubt it, the leather on the seats matches the pattern of a stock NSX. The three vertical bars near where the top meets the bottom, the way the seams line up - I can't think of an upholsterer I've talked with that could do detail work like that.

The only flag that would be raised is if this owner considers the car to be black/black, when, in fact, it isn't (it's black/ivory).

burbel said:
Are those floor mats factory?
No. The factory mats have the NSX logo, including the NSX letters in the NSX font. Only aftermarket mats have the letters "NSX" done as a monogram in a non-NSX font.

I don't like the look. If you're going to have an ivory interior, it should have ivory seats. (Even with the ivory seats, I think the ivory interior needs more ivory, not less - more specifically, they could have made the gathered leather parts of the door in ivory, as well as the rear wall interior panel which they started color-coordinating with the interior color in '94.) And if you're going to have black seats, then complete the look with the rest of the interior. Just my O.

nsxtasy[/i] [B]Only aftermarket mats have the letters "NSX" done as a monogram in a non-NSX font.[/B][/QUOTE][QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Hrant said:
This statement is not accurate for all aftermarket mats.
The statement is 100 percent accurate as written. More specifically, if you read the statement and think about it, it does not say anything about all aftermarket mats. It says something about all mats with the letters "NSX" done as a monogram in a non-NSX font (such as the one in the photo).

Looks like somebody failed his course on elementary logic. (Although posting this is certainly a convenient way for a vendor to introduce an advertisement for his goods into a topic that's not about them.) :D

nsxtasy said:
Looks like somebody failed his course on elementary logic. (Although posting this is certainly a convenient way for a vendor to introduce an advertisement for his goods into a topic that's not about them.) :D
C'mon Ken -
nono.gif
- this was far from an opportunistic plug - this denigration a little uncalled for - there is no reason to interpret Hrant's statement as being a contradiction to your's, as opposed to a supplement. There is no suggestion that your statement is wrong, his merely indicates that "not all" after-market mats are configured as-such. I'm not sure that you passed elementary logic based on your interpretation of his statement. If you care to review each again (un-biased), you will find the relative statements in each post are mutually exclusive & therefor the logic is not compromised.
Only aftermarket mats have the letters "NSX" done as a monogram in a non-NSX font. = True
This statement is not accurate for all aftermarket mats. = True

Incidentally, I think Hrant does an admirable job of keeping his business interests in check with regard to this medium.

D'Ecosse said:
there is no reason to interpret Hrant's statement as being a contradiction to your's, as opposed to a supplement.
Sure there is. If Hrant intended his statement as a supplement, rather than a contradiction, he could have easily said, "This statement would not be accurate if it were extended to all aftermarket mats" (using the conditional tense). But he didn't. Instead, he said, "This statement is not accurate ..." implying that the statement was inaccurate as written. Which it was not.

D'Ecosse said:
There is no suggestion that your statement is wrong
Yes, there is. See above.

D'Ecosse said:
his merely indicates that "not all" after-market mats are configured as-such.
But he didn't say that not all aftermarket mats are configured as such. He said that my statement is not accurate. Which it is. So let's get real, Ken - don't claim that Hrant said something different, when everyone can see what he said.

D'Ecosse said:
Incidentally, I think Hrant does an admirable job of keeping his business interests in check with regard to this medium.
That's your opinion. I was mostly kidding when I made that reference in my original post (hence the smilie). However, as I see it, this topic is (or, was) not about floor mats, but about a particular car - and somehow a link to the sales website for the floor mats Hrant sells just happened to somehow get posted by Hrant. You can draw your own conclusions.

Perhaps now we can get back to the discussion of the '92 black/black NSX which this topic was originally about?

Last edited:
no info' as of yet...

nsxtasy said:
...Perhaps now we can get back to the discussion of the '92 black/black NSX which this topic was originally about?

Thanks everyone for the insights. I haven't been able to get ANY further info' (maint'/service, ownership, repairs, explanation of why change the int. trim/seats where changed) from the "owner(s)" of this car. It is listed on Ebay and no other car-sale site/publication. I had a limited interest in it, as it has good-miles, CarFax seems kosher, and it is somewhat local to where I reside and will be in 2weeks. I guess we'll see what emerges in due time. :)

Back