DIY vs. NSX Tech

WARNING: Long post!

I've done it! After more than two years of being patient and looking for the right NSX, I finally buckled down a bought a 1997 NSX-T--Kaiser Silver/Onyx with 66,558 miles--for $35,700.

I think I got a decent deal on it, but there's certainly quite a bit of work that needs to be done...which is why I'm coming here for everyone's advice and suggestions. All issues below are based on either a personal inspection on my own or a buyer's inspection that was performed by Carl at David McDavid Acura two months ago. I'd like to use everyone's experiences to figure out what's worth having the Acura dealership take care of and what I can do on my own (and where to get the parts if it's a DIY...FYI, I live in Houston, TX--Sterling McCall Acura is the closest Acura dealer). Thank you all in advance for your insight. So without further ado...

1. Clutch master cylinder is leaking (quoted $510+tax)
2. Needs new trunk struts (has that common problem of trunk sliding back closed)
3. Needs new floor mats
4. Needs new battery (seems to be some corrosion on the terminals)
5. Right horn button on steering wheel doesn't work (not too big of an issue since the left one still works, but I'm just anal)
6. Needs another key (car only comes with two keys: one "normal" key and one valet key that can't open the trunk)
7. Needs remote (I'm considering just buying an aftermarket alarm since those usually come with remotes that can lock/unlock the door--would appreciate suggestions, don't need the fancy auto start ones)
8. Passenger window rolls up VERY slowly (is this an indication that the motor is about to give out?)
9. Driver door "clicks" at two points when you open it
10. Needs new tires (this will be my daily driver so replacing tires every 6K miles just won't cut it...any suggestions on what will last longest? I will not be tracking the car at all.)

I believe that covers everything. THANK YOU all again for you help--it feels incredible to "officially" become a member of the NSX community.

ajchang said:
WARNING: Long post!

I've done it! After more than two years of being patient and looking for the right NSX, I finally buckled down a bought a 1997 NSX-T--Kaiser Silver/Onyx with 66,558 miles--for $35,700.

I think I got a decent deal on it, but there's certainly quite a bit of work that needs to be done...which is why I'm coming here for everyone's advice and suggestions. All issues below are based on either a personal inspection on my own or a buyer's inspection that was performed by Carl at David McDavid Acura two months ago. I'd like to use everyone's experiences to figure out what's worth having the Acura dealership take care of and what I can do on my own (and where to get the parts if it's a DIY...FYI, I live in Houston, TX--Sterling McCall Acura is the closest Acura dealer). Thank you all in advance for your insight. So without further ado...

2. Needs new trunk struts (has that common problem of trunk sliding back closed)
3. Needs new floor mats
5. Right horn button on steering wheel doesn't work (not too big of an issue since the left one still works, but I'm just anal)
6. Needs another key (car only comes with two keys: one "normal" key and one valet key that can't open the trunk)
7. Needs remote (I'm considering just buying an aftermarket alarm since those usually come with remotes that can lock/unlock the door--would appreciate suggestions, don't need the fancy auto start ones)
8. Passenger window rolls up VERY slowly (is this an indication that the motor is about to give out?)
10. Needs new tires (this will be my daily driver so replacing tires every 6K miles just won't cut it...any suggestions on what will last longest? I will not be tracking the car at all.)

I believe that covers everything. THANK YOU all again for you help--it feels incredible to "officially" become a member of the NSX community.

crongrats on the 97. you got a great deal. kaiser silver is my favorite color :)

Welcome!!!! I too live in Houston adn would be happy to give you a hand if need be. PM me and we can hook up, we have a great group of guys here in Houston area who have a wealth of knowlegde on the NSX. Congrats on the purchase and have fun. Glad to hear it will be your daily driver. I got my 91 with 20,XXX mile and now its got 164,XXX on it!!! :biggrin: Runs just as good as the day I brought it home.

Patrick

You call that a lot of work? That's pretty much expected went buying a used NSX. any how that is a great deal on a "T"

ajchang said:

Congrats! Now the fun begins.

Can't help you much with the rest but I've got a suggestion on battery. I just upgraded my Interstate to Odyssey PC680MJ and you will be amazed by this superb product;

Weight: 42 lbs. (Interstate) vs. 15.2 lbs. (PC680MJ)
Size: Odyssey is only about 1/3 of the Interstate.

Check out http://www.gotbatteries.com/items.a...wker Odyssey/PC680MJ/0769-2017/SL105/37L105S7 If you do decide to purchase it, make sure you also purchase the SAE terminial.

Good luck and enjoy your new NSX.

Congratulations!

As for your questions, I am not that technical, so I can't answer some of them, but I can take on others...

ajchang said:
I don't know.

ajchang said:
Easy to DIY. Oh, and it's the entire strut unit (both ends, the ball end and the socket end) that gets replaced.

Incidentally, you can save a few bucks by sending them out to Frank, if you don't mind them being away for a few weeks.

ajchang said:
3. Needs new floor mats
Only the dealer can do this. Expect to pay for 8-10 hours of labor.

Just kidding!!! :D

ajchang said:
Corrosion on the terminals doesn't mean that it needs to be replaced. Scrub off the corrosion. The battery can be tested to see how well it's holding a charge; that is how to determine whether it needs replacing. If it does, it's an easy DIY. Consider getting a replacement at Costco or Sam's Club.

ajchang said:
I don't know.

ajchang said:
Unless you have a key grinding machine, you can't do this yourself. ;) Since your '97 uses the key with the immobilizer chip, the new key would need to have the chip set to your code. I don't know if you can get another one at a locksmith, or if you would have to get it from the dealer...?

ajchang said:
Try lubricating the window tracks and mechanism first. DIY.

ajchang said:
Try lubricating the door hinges. DIY.

ajchang said:
You'll need a tire shop to mount and balance them (assuming you don't have tire mounting and balancing equipment).

The Bridgestone S-03 is a great-performing tire that lasts longer than many other high-performance tires.

You may also consider getting the car aligned to reduce the amount of toe in the rear, which will increase the longevity of the tires, at the expense of some slight reduction in the crispness of the handling.

BTW, we've heard that Brad at Autologic in Houston does a lot of NSX work.

Hope you'll consider showing all of us your car at NSXPO 2005, which will be in your part of the country this year (Phoenix in October).

If your car has original paint and body work in excellent condition, you got yourself a great deal. Your list of work is just simple stuff. Congrats and welcome!
Steve

Back