• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY - Replacing exhaust with Taitec GT Lightweight exhaust

MvM

Legendary Member
Not too long ago Science of Speed had a group buy on the Taitec GTLW exhaust. Being one of the lightest exhausts around and a perfect match for the Taitec headers already mounted on my car, I ordered one to replace the Taitec GT Competition I had on my car.

Fresh out of the box, the Taitec looks absolutely stunning. Made of stainless steel, it was shining in the sunlight. The exhaust tips are polished to a high gloss and the workmanship is excellent, with high quality welds and even a serial plate welded on the top of the exhaust.

5180Taitec1.JPG

Now, of course, it had to be mounted. On a free evening, I jacked up the rear of the car and put it on jackstands. To be sure, I left the jack on one side just in case. The tools needed to change your exhaust are very basic. A can of WD40 to loosen the nuts, a 14mm wrench, some working gloves to protect your hands and some cloth to wipe of any excess oil and that's about it. A small flashlight might come in handy as well.

5180Taitec2.jpg

The exhaust of the NSX has two mounting flanges where it meets the cats. Each of them is mounted with three 14mm nuts. During driving, the exhaust gets extremely hot and the nuts on my car were pretty rusted. I sprayed them with WD40 and waited a few minutes to let the WD40 sink in. Don't use too much because it will drip down on you.
With some force, I was able to get the nuts of fairly ease. However, the top one is hard to reach and since I could only move the wrench a little at a time, it takes some time to get the top one completely off. Also, make sure you get your wrench on correctly or you might damage the nut to a point the wrench will slip. Once off, I spray the nuts with some more WD40 so putting them back on might be a little easier.

5180Taitec3.jpg

I first loosened the flange in the centre of the car and then the one on the right side where the exhaust pipe bends to meet the muffler.

5180Taitec4.JPG

At this point you might want to tie up the two cats because they will be hanging free after removal of the exhaust. I did not do this because I have the Taitec headers on my car which have some nice spring-mounted nuts.
After getting the nuts of, the exhaust is hanging from four mounting rubbers, two near the muffler itself (front) and two at the exhaust pipes (rear).

5180Taitec5.jpg

I first unhooked the left front one which came of easy and then, with some extra effort, the right front one. After this, the exhaust can be moved left and right to loosen the two mounting flanges from its bolts. Do this with a little care, first to protect the cats and second because once the flanges get free, the rear of the exhaust will come down in your direction. Just remember, the OEM exhaust weighs a full 43 lbs. Pulling up one knee was all I needed to hold the exhaust up once it came loose.
Once the flanges are free the exhaust is just hanging from the two rear rubber mounts. Remove these and the exhaust is free. The old and the new exhaust can be seen here.

5180Taitec6.JPG

Mounting the new exhaust is relatively easy. The new Taitec GTLW weighs only 18.3 lbs (8.3kg) so it is much easier to play with. Also, the smaller muffler gives you much more space to work with.
First, I hooked up the exhaust with the front left mounting rubber. This leaves the exhaust hanging down from one side.

5180Taitec7.JPG

Then, turn around a lift up the other side and line up the mounting flange with the three mounting bolts. With my fingers, I put on the three nuts just to make sure it would not slide off again. Then, I hooked up the rubber mount on its hook. If this is a little tricky, you can apply a little WD40 on the mounting hook to make it easier. The hooks from the car are a bit shorter but also thicker than the ones on the exhaust.
After this, I lined up the second flange and put on the nuts. Then, I put on the two rear mounting rubbers and proceeded to tighten all six nuts. I then started the car and checked and listened for any sign of leaks. I was immediately struck by the deep sounds the exhaust was making. After that, I cleaned up my stuff, changed into some clean clothing and took the car for a ride.

The Taitec Competition exhaust I had was already louder than OEM but this Taitec GTLW is even louder. At first, I even thought it might be Too loud but after a couple of days I had gotten used to it. Or maybe the sound has become a bit less. In any case, SOS delivered two small muffling devices with the GTLW which can be bolted into the exhaust pipes to muffle the sound even more. A nice touch but at this moment, all I can say is that I love the sound of this exhaust so for now, these extra tips will stay in the box.

According to SOS it should give my car a little more power and with only 18.3 lbs it is significantly lighter than stock. So, next step should be dynoing the car.

Someone asked me about droning or resonance of the Taitec. I had read about this here on NSXPrime. Like I said, the GTLW took a little to get used to but I cannot say it really resonates or drones inside the cabin. Obviously, I can hear it but it is not resonating. So far, I have had the car at up to 160 mph and have experienced zero problems.

Last edited:
Great write up. I'm looking forward to your dyno results.

Do you have any resonance or droning with the new GTLW?

does the GTLW silencer fit the Competition tips?

x

MvM said:
Someone asked me about droning or resonance of the Taitec. I had read about this here on NSXPrime. Like I said, the GTLW took a little to get used to but I cannot say it really resonates or drones inside the cabin. Obviously, I can hear it but it is not resonating.

I had the GTLW on my old 91 and it definetly had droning between 2000 and 2500 RPM (if I remember correctly, it may have been 2500 to 3000). It wasn’t that big of deal, I just avoided cruising at this RPM range. I took the exhaust off the 1991 before I sold it.

I now have the same exhaust on my Zanardi and it doesn’t exhibit these same resonating frequencies. It may be due to the 1997 and up exhaust manifold design being different and you are finding the same characteristics with headers. Are there any other 97+ owners out there that can comment about the droning?

Bob

1BADNSX said:
I had the GTLW on my old 91 and it definetly had droning between 2000 and 2500 RPM (if I remember correctly, it may have been 2500 to 3000). It wasn’t that big of deal, I just avoided cruising at this RPM range. I took the exhaust off the 1991 before I sold it.

I now have the same exhaust on my Zanardi and it doesn’t exhibit these same resonating frequencies. It may be due to the 1997 and up exhaust manifold design being different and you are finding the same characteristics with headers. Are there any other 97+ owners out there that can comment about the droning?

Bob

It seems that not everyone experiences the droning effect. Maybe others with a 97+ NSX don't have this problem either. And I am wondering if it matters if you have the stock exhaust manifolds or after market headers.

I have to wash my car tonight and after washing I will have to drive it around a bit to dry so I will pay extra attention to this effect to be sure.

VBNSX said:
does the GTLW silencer fit the Competition tips?
x

Hi, it seems the GTLW silencers fit the Competition tips also but maybe a little filing could be required. The diameter (90mm) is the same.

Do you have any resonance or droning with the new GTLW?

Have driven the car both yesterday and today and apart from the exhaust note there I have no droning inside the car :smile:

MvM said:
It seems that not everyone experiences the droning effect. Maybe others with a 97+ NSX don't have this problem either. And I am wondering if it matters if you have the stock exhaust manifolds or after market headers.
The droning effect is way overated. I drove the car with oem exhaust manifold for over a year, I personally have no complaints. It is light enough to be balanced with 1 finger, the power gain is amazing with this exhaust.

This is the pic of the exhaust after 1 year, the oem straw exhaust manifold is a joke. Aftermarket headers are must.
113098-med.jpg

This is after Comptech Headers, by going with aftermarket headers, you will feel similar gains as the exhaust. I waited over a year because I was skeptical, couldn't justifying the cost, but trust me its worth it. I just wish I had the headers ceramic coated before installation.

5.jpg

1.jpg

I drive an '02 with stock manifolds and here are my impressions of my GTLW:

With the stock engine cover on, I never noticed a drone. I then read about this drone that I never heard so I went "looking for it" and around 2100 to maybe 2500 when I was "looking for it" I heard the drone. But I never cruise at that RPM so it was never an issue. Then I took the engine cover off and the droning RPM range narrowed to only right around 2100. Again, it's never an issue because I don't cruise in that RPM range. I now have a mesh engine cover and it's the same as having no engine cover as far as droning is concerned.

just another data point...

J

02#154 said:
I drive an '02 with stock manifolds and here are my impressions of my GTLW:

With the stock engine cover on, I never noticed a drone. I then read about this drone that I never heard so I went "looking for it" and around 2100 to maybe 2500 when I was "looking for it" I heard the drone. But I never cruise at that RPM so it was never an issue. Then I took the engine cover off and the droning RPM range narrowed to only right around 2100. Again, it's never an issue because I don't cruise in that RPM range. I now have a mesh engine cover and it's the same as having no engine cover as far as droning is concerned.

just another data point...

J

Thanks J.

There is definitely droning in the cabin around 2500 rpm with the Taitec GTLW. I can live with it. It really isn't that bad. The slight annoyance of the droning is significantly outweighed by how light and how good the exhaust sounds.

Speaking of Dyno'ing, how long after installing my Cantrel headers and GTLW should I wait to dyno the car?

Psychobiology said:
There is definitely droning in the cabin around 2500 rpm with the Taitec GTLW. I can live with it. It really isn't that bad. The slight annoyance of the droning is significantly outweighed by how light and how good the exhaust sounds.
Pyscho -

You have an NA1 car don't you? I'm curious as to whether or not this droning issue is particular to the NA1 cars or not.

Thanks.

Back