• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Disappointed with Cerritos Acura

I've been going to Cerritos Acura since I purchased my NSX in 2005. Based on feedback from this forum, I figured this was the dealership to go to for service. Recently, I decided to change my own plugs and found a couple of issues:

Background: Vehicle was purchased in 2/2006 with 39K miles. Upon receiving, had the plugs replaced, oil changed, and valves adjusted by Cerritos Acura. Previous owner provided me with full service history. The only other major engine work done the vehicle was the timing belt on 3/2005.

Issue #1: Wrong spark plugs, 2 different types of spark plugs.
When I pulled the plugs out, I noticed the plugs were not only the incorrect plugs, but 1 of the plugs was different from the other 5. The spec for a 95 is NGK PFR6N-11. I found 5 of the plugs were PFR6G-11 and one plug was PFR6L-11. It seems like they just decided to put on whatever spark plugs they had on hand that would fit. Though the engine probably runs ok with these plugs, this is, at best a bad practice, and, at worst fraud since the invoice states they used the correct plugs.

Issue #2: Bolt hole on engine block is stripped due to over-torquing of the front coil cover bolt.
When I removed the coil cover, one the bolts immediately released and I was able to just pull the bolt right out of the bolt hole. It looks the the tech who re-installed the coil cover after replacing the spark plugs over-torqued one the bolts and decided to hold the bolt in place with thread lock. Even if I give him the benefit of the doubt, the tech should have at least noted that the bolt hole was stripped so that I could repair it. This was the first time anyone had any reason to pull off this coil cover.

This work was done 5 years ago, so I don't really have any recourse. Just wanted to share my experience. I'm hesistant to bring my car back to Cerritos Acura.....even for a simple oil change.

Disappointed with Cerritos Acura, Part Deux

After finishing my write-up about the spark plug issue I had with Cerritos Acura, I remembered that I had some other issues with them in the past that I figured I'd share with everyone.

I take my NSX into Cerritos Acura to get an oil change. The service advisor (Jessica) tells me the tech is noticing an odd sound coming from the engine. So I authorize them to diagnose the problem. $100 to diagnose and she tells me the timing belt is loose and it needs to be replaced. At that point, the timing belt was about 3 years old and had about 20K miles on it. I was a bit concerned, but I decided to think about it and get back to her. When I took the car back home, I didn't notice any odd noise, so I decided to hold off.

Well, 3k miles later, I bring it back to Cerritos Acura to get the oil changed again. I mention the findings from the previous visit to the service advisor (Victor) and ask him to have the tech listen for any odd sounds. turns out there are no issues, timing belt is fine, everything sounds fine.

Luckily, I didn't end up replacing my timing belt unecessarily.......but why did I blow $100 to diagnose a problem that didn't exist????

I had a similar experience with the new management there at the dealership...... Ever since Jon Martin left this place has suffered greatly.

I wanted to do a trans fluid flush and they tried to charge me $260 to swap out the MT fluid! After I said something to them about it, they said "oh thats for an auto trans" I said, uh i have a MT not AUTO......

After going back and fourth w/ them on this, and them wanting to charge me $250 to change a turn signal bulb, I told the service manager that I would never return there. Also gave them a scathing review when the dealership called me for their survey.....

I had a similar experience with the new management there at the dealership...... Ever since Jon Martin left this place has suffered greatly.

I wanted to do a trans fluid flush and they tried to charge me $260 to swap out the MT fluid! After I said something to them about it, they said "oh thats for an auto trans" I said, uh i have a MT not AUTO......

After going back and fourth w/ them on this, and them wanting to charge me $250 to change a turn signal bulb, I told the service manager that I would never return there. Also gave them a scathing review when the dealership called me for their survey.....

ditto on Jon Martin leaving... NSX's should leave.

Jon is at Costa Mesa Honda now... if your going to change dealerships for service... I would go there.

Regards

ditto on Jon Martin leaving... NSX's should leave.

Jon is at Costa Mesa Honda now... if your going to change dealerships for service... I would go there.

Regards

Does he work on NSX's at the honda dealership?

Does he work on NSX's at the honda dealership?

nevermind i spoke to him about it.... they do but unfortunately they dont offer loaner cars... so i was referred to south bay acura where several of the cerritos guys went to work. Unfortunately this place has really bad reviews on yelp & google...... hopefully its not the case with me.

These issues actually happened several years ago while Jon Martim was the service manager. I just now discovered the wrong spark plugs since I went to change them myself.

Back