disabling radio antenna?

anyone know if there is a fuse or something you can pull to disable the radio antenna from going up?

I don't like the antenna up while driving, and was thinking of just disabling it from going up, but I am wondering how would radio reception be affected?

anyone done it before? opinions?

I disconnected the stock antenna, and plugged in a small rubber whip and hid it behind the panels in the trunk. Reception is good and besides most of the time you are listening to CDs anyway.

Originally posted by MiamieNeSeX:
I disconnected the stock antenna, and plugged in a small rubber whip and hid it behind the panels in the trunk. Reception is good and besides most of the time you are listening to CDs anyway.

Perhaps you are not aware that the power antenna mast is only one of two antennas that the NSX already has? The other antenna consists of the veins on the top third of the rear window. The NSX has a diversity function, in which it evaluates the signal from both antennas and selects the stronger of the two.

can you clarify, does this stop the antenna from coming up? and is there any affects to radio signal?

thanks,

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
pull back the carpet in the trunk and you'll see a blue connector on the antenna motor. Just unplug it. I did it and it's the best thing I've done to my NSXs outside of removing the wipers.

Originally posted by SilverOne:
can you clarify, does this stop the antenna from coming up? and is there any affects to radio signal?

thanks,

Yes, this will stop the antenna from coming up.

It may affect your reception. Your NSX has two antennas, this will effectively cripple one of them. It's possible that the radio stations you listen to will come in just fine with only the window antenna. No way of knowing except by trying. This is also completely reversible.

-Daniele

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
pull back the carpet in the trunk and you'll see a blue connector on the antenna motor. Just unplug it. I did it and it's the best thing I've done to my NSXs outside of removing the wipers.

I am not sure what the antenna motor looks like, any pics? is it the carpet that's right underneath the antena? thanks for the help,

SilverOne: I just did it a few minutes ago. Pull back the vertical carpet section on the left side of the trunk. There's one retainer roughly in the middle of that carpet section you'll have to remove first. Next unplug the 3 wire connector that leads to the cylindrical enclosure on the base of the antenna.

For what it's worth I tried a few of my programmed stations and they come in fine without that antenna, although I'm right in town.

It may be a good idea to plug it in occasionally and raise it a few times just to keep it working freely.

I installed a switchable link because I use Satelite radio alot. That way, when I want the antenna up, I just flick the hidden switch inside the center console.

------------------
[email protected]
Inventory
  1. 1992 Acura NSX Black
  2. 2002 Audi TT 225 Coupe Black
  3. 2002 Lexus IS 300 Blue
  4. 2001 Nissan Xterra Blue
  5. 1968 Lincoln Sedan Black (Yes the Matrix Car!)
    [/list=a]

I just unplugged it a little while ago.
It took some of you a few minutes?
It takes two seconds at most to unplug it.

Silverone, when you do this, you'll still get good reception. Though you won't be able to get 99.1 FM. If you don't listen to this station, no biggy! Also, underpasses will cut you off. But then again, you'll be going to fast to worry about that.
wink.gif

I did this too... didn't take too long, maybe an hour or two, but now I can use the antenna whenever I want by tapping a switch under the dash...

There is a great thread on this, I'll try to find it.

SuncoastNSX said:
I installed a switchable link because I use Satelite radio alot. That way, when I want the antenna up, I just flick the hidden switch inside the center console.

------------------
[email protected]
Inventory
  1. 1992 Acura NSX Black
  2. 2002 Audi TT 225 Coupe Black
  3. 2002 Lexus IS 300 Blue
  4. 2001 Nissan Xterra Blue
  5. 1968 Lincoln Sedan Black (Yes the Matrix Car!)

SilverOne said:
I am not sure what the antenna motor looks like, any pics? is it the carpet that's right underneath the antena? thanks for the help,

No GreenOne...it's the carpet on the other side behind the CD changer!!! :confused: Ha ha. So how'd it work out? I'm going to pull my plug tonight!

Nsxotic, your fuel door isn't open :biggrin: .

Attachments

• nsxotic-new.gif
    nsxotic-new.gif
    9.9 KB · Views: 292
Talk about reviving an old thread. Just did disconnected the power to the antenna. Easy peasy.

No more antenna going up and down all the time since I only listen to CD's and Bluetooth anyway.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yup disconnecting the plug to the antenna behind the liner was one of the first things I did. The factory antenna looks disgusting and I did not want the S2000 antenna because I use a car cover. Also I listen to bluetooth, mp3's, and CD's only, and if I want to listen to FM, I can still stream it over bluetooth.

I just did this today.. I "think" i did it correctly.
There is a wire harness mounted on a metal attachment directly under the antenna. There is a plug that comes from above into the connector, and then the three wire plug on the bottom of the connector that runs to the antenna motor.

I could not get the bottom 3 wire plug disconnected for some reason.. I didn't want to force it....so I unplugged the plug above the interface, which has a clearly seen release button on it.. I hope that's OK to do ( unplug the top part, not the 3 wire bottom part).. the antenna does not work anymore and I hope nothing else will be affected.

If anyone thinks I should go back in there and only disconnect the 3 wire bottom part?

That antenna is ridiculous....

I figured out which wire in the harness controlled the antenna and installed a switch. Now the antenna only goes up when the switch is on. I installed the switch in the armrest compartment. I did not want to take out the factory antenna.

I just did this today.. I "think" i did it correctly.
There is a wire harness mounted on a metal attachment directly under the antenna. There is a plug that comes from above into the connector, and then the three wire plug on the bottom of the connector that runs to the antenna motor.

I could not get the bottom 3 wire plug disconnected for some reason.. I didn't want to force it....so I unplugged the plug above the interface, which has a clearly seen release button on it.. I hope that's OK to do ( unplug the top part, not the 3 wire bottom part).. the antenna does not work anymore and I hope nothing else will be affected.

If anyone thinks I should go back in there and only disconnect the 3 wire bottom part?

That antenna is ridiculous....

That works just fine. The only functions controlled through the 3 wire plug are antenna functions.

Back