digital SLR cam

I have a question ....im thinking about buying the new Canon 10d....but i have a few questions for those with experience with these cams.....Do you have to use a auto focus lens with these cams or can you use the regular SLR lens as well ?

You can only use Canon EF lenses or other brands that are specifically made for the Canon EF mount for use with the 10D or any other Canon autofocus camera body.

Ugh...this is gonna be like starting from scratch again.... i have some really good lens from my old canon F1 and was hoping to be able to use them. I want to get at least one good lens ,the one i am thinking about buying with this body is the canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8...its a versitile lens with a decent F stop. Any other suggestions would be appreciated as far as what other assessories i should get and what brand memory card as someone commented that sandisc sucks.

Get the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L

Canon has a new lens out, the 24-70mm f/2.8L. Keep in mind that the EOS-10D has a image size factor of 1.6, which means your 28mm lens is really a 44mm lens. Going down to a 24mm at least gets your something in the wide angle spectrum equating to a 38mm lens.

As for accessories, there really aren't many that you will need unless you do a bit of flash photography as the built-in flash in marginal at best and you may want to consider getting a larger top mount flash.

Once you have the 24-70mm lens, you might find yourself wanting to shoot wider and should think about obtaining the Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L lens, although it depends on the type of shooting you do.

Have fun and good luck!

I shoot a Canon D60 and would highly recommend the 10D. In terms of memory cards, I shoot only with Lexar although I do have a Sandisk that was given to me and I have tried it without any problems. Because of the capabilities of the Canon Digital SLR's, you would want to use at least a 24x Lexar card for the faster write speed in order to take advantage of all of the Canon features. Get the largest memory card you can afford because you will need it for the large files taken by the Canon. Don't even waste your time shooting in anything other than the largest file size because if you did you would not need to spend the money on a digital slr.

Although the IBM mircodrive is cheaper per megabyte, it is subject to file corruption if dropped or otherwise subjected to some type of "shock." A Lexar 512mb or 256mb should be fine with a 256 holding at least 90-100 shots at full resolution.

My main lens is a Canon 28-105 and I find that it suits almost 80% of my shooting needs. It also works as a macro "substitute" when the camera is set to close-up photography (there is a small flower icon on the dial). But remember the 1.6x conversion factor on the wide angle side so if you need a wider angle more often, you might want to get a different lens. However, I have been happy with this lens and have not picked up a wider angle lens but have opted for a super telephoto instead.

If you want to check out some photos using this lens, here is a link to some shots I took at the Botanical Gardens with mostly close-ups but also a few wide angle and zooms thrown in. All were shot with the 28-105 lens.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289975061

I would also agree that the built-in flash should be used only out of necessity. It is fine in a certain limited range but I added on a 550EX flash which automatically adjusts to the focal range selected on your lens and greatly simplifies flash photography.

Bob

I bought the 10D the day it came out and love it. Presently I have the 28-135 IS USM, 100mm 2.8 macro, and ring flash. I use the Lexar 512mb 40x card, but I'm going to pick up a 1gb card soon.

The camera is awesome. If you have any other questions about it you can always e-mail me.

Dr.Lane said:
100mm 2.8 macro, and ring flash

I just picked up the 100mm 2.8 macro along with a super telephoto but I have not used a ring flash yet. Which one are you using? If my memory serves me correctly, I believe you use macro photography in your dental practice and I was curious as to how you like the ring flash. Also, do you have to remove any filters in order to shoot with the ring flash?

Bob

I don't use any filters except for a Polarizing filter for my outdoor pictures. As for the flash, MR-14EX and I'm very happy with it. I'm going to pick up the 550EX shortly too.

D60

I bought my boss' Canon D60 when he decided to "upgrade" to the 10D.

I would highly recommend the Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM lens...really high quality and, considering the 1.6X crop, very necessary to get useable angles in tight quarters. I leave it on my camera most of the time and rarely use my older 28-105mm F3.5/4.5 USM (which I leave on my old Rebel XS).

I also picked up the EF 70-200mm F2.8L USM...VERY nice. I used it to shoot some great candid shots at my cousin's wedding last month. It's pretty big and heavy (and alone costs more than the 10D), but it starts a LOT of conversations! :D

You can't really use the built-in flash with an L series lens attached because the lens will shadow the flash. I rarely use the built-in flash...my old Speedlite 380EX works fine with the D60.

I use a 1GB IBM Microdrive and, thus far, haven't had any problems. My boss swears that the two he owns have proven quite durable (he's had them since they first came out and has filled them many times)...but, if you're at all concerned about not losing data, spend the extra bucks to get the 1GB Compact Flash equivalent. Microdrives also tend to drain the battery faster, but you probably can fill an entire 1GB on a single charge if you're not using the built-in flash. I don't know if I could survive with less than a GB of space...these digital SLRs encourage amateur photographers (like myself) to play with manual settings like no camera before.

I put B+W MRC UV filters on my L series lenses for protection.

Last edited:
I will most likely be doin alot of portrait photography so i will be picking up a 50mm f/1.4 and a 24-70mm f/2.8......and a 1gig card or two.Im worried about the indoor shots because alot of the shows that i go to dont provide good lighting.

Well, my Canon 10D just arrived yesturday. I haven't really taken any serious pictures with it yet. but so far I like it. I have a Canon SLR 35MM Elan IIE as well, so the 10D has a very familiar feel to it. I only took a couple of test pictures in the house at night so it was not an ideal test, but it's fairly intuitive to use. I also only had a 16M CF card so I could only take a few shots at a time before I had to delete them. Oh well, I'm off to the store to buy a 128 or 256 CF card now :D

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase of the 10D. Forum member ss_md recently picked up one too (he got his just before the Prime drive). Which lens(es) are you using?

Oh well, I'm off to the store to but a 128 or 256 CF card now

If you prefer to work with JPG large (highest quality vs compression), your shots will take between 1.4MB and 4MB per shot depending on the amount of high frequency detail in the picture. You'll definitely want a larger format CF card than 128MB (<50 shots), probably more than 256MB (<100 shots). I've been getting roughly 400 shots on my GB microdrive! :D

Raw files are even larger...I haven't bothered with them yet, but there have been several instances where I wish I had.

Back