Digital SLR advice.....

I'm getting ready to purchase a Nikon D100 and found this package on ebay. I'm not to fond of the cheapo lens that it comes, and since I need a Nikkor 28-105mm lens I'll be getting one of those too.

Is this a good deal, or should I look somehwere else? It does include a 1GB card, so that alone is worth something.

-TIA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30020&item=2914534095&rd=1

Unless you just can't wait, I'd suggest sitting tight for a little bit. The big PMA show is next week and the new generation of cameras and price reductions is just coming out.

Canon just announced their 10D camera. It replaces the D60, has several improvements, is expected to have a street price of only around $1500.

Nikon probably has something similar in the works, so if you are a Nikon fan I'd wait and see.

Thanks for the advice guys. My decision has just been made more difficult since Cannon just released the EOS 10-D today. Now I have no idea what to do. I have a few weeks to spare until I need the camera for my digital dental course, so maybe the price of the D-100 will come down.

I already called around and the new Cannon has a waiting list and will be marked up $500 initally. I hate paying a premium for something when you know it will be available shortly afterwards for under retail.

I shoot a Canon D60 and it is light years ahead of any other digital that I have used. I also shoot Canon film SLRs so I already had the lenses, flashes, etc and just needed the D60 body. At 6+ megapixels, it is probably the last digital that I will need to buy. I printed up photos from NSXPO as large as 13x44 on an Epson 2200 inkjet and they were commercial quality.

You just need to make sure you use an appropriately large size CF memory card to handle the large file sizes. Although the 1 gig microdrives are cost effective, they are subject to image problems if shaken too much so you would be better off sticking with the more stable but costlier CF cards, especially the 24X Lexar cards. You would need at least a 256mb card which would give you about 90 images (unless you shoot raw format).

Bob

Well the decision has been made and I bought the new Cannon D10 SLR. For th emoney it seemed like the best deal and it has a few better charateristics than the D100.

I already have a few CF cards, so I won't be getting a microdrive thanks to your insight Bob.

Now I need to start buying lenses.

As usual, thanks for your assistance guys.

Originally posted by Dr.Lane:

Now I need to start buying lenses.

FYI -

If the D10 has the same characteristics as the D60, you need to remember that you would have to multiply your lens length setting by approximately 1.6 to get the final result. When buying lenses, if you want to shoot wide angle you would need to go below the standard 35mm that generally is used with zoom lenses, such as a 35mm-70mm. Canon has come out with a new zoom that, I believe, is 17mm-40mm.

I don't know if the D10 has altered that "effect" of the D60 but if it hasn't, you may notice that you are not getting the same field of vision with a wide angle lens on your digital as that same lens would produce on a film slr.

Bob

Thanks so much for the heads up Bob. I was aware of the 1.5x conversion factor, but I'll be using this camera for mostly macro photography. I've been doing macro photography for 20 years, forensics and intra-oral, and with the advances in the dental field I now need something more advanced than my Coolpix 950.

How god are the Image Stability lenses from Cannon? My problem with the Coolpix has been the slow shutter speed, color sturation, and underexposure. I was going to buy the Nikon specifically for the histogram, but since Cannon just made it available for the D10 it was a no brainer, especially with the increased ISO seetings.

Thanks so far for your assistance.

I have had great results using the Canon IS lenses. My standard lens for track events is a 75-300 and I generally shoot it at the full 300 length without a drop off in quality. Also, I have not had to take my monopod out of the bag since I upgraded my lenses to IS a couple of years ago. So far, I have no complaints in photo quality throughout the entire focal length ranges of my lenses and would recommend the Canon line of lenses rather than the compatible, and less expensive, Sigmas. I have borrowed Sigmas in the past and have noticed a lower quality final photo at the outer ranges of zoom lenses but I have not had similar problems with the Canon line.

With respect to the wide range of ISOs, you will see the same decreased color quality as you shoot faster speeds as you do with 35mm film. But you will love the ability to switch speeds between shots.

I would also recommend that you compare prices of equipment by checking B & H Photo. www.bhphotovideo.com I use them for a lot of my purchases and would recommend them.

Bob

Originally posted by Dr.Lane:
Well the decision has been made and I bought the new Cannon D10 SLR.

Where did you find one? Everywhere I've called so far say they're on backorder. Also the price has been coming in aroun $1500. Ran in to the same thing with trying to get a D60. Finally just got a film scanner.

Back