Digital Camera Help

I am looking at getting a digital camera because I really liked the quality of the shots I just took.

I am looking in the 3.3 MP range, but I am not sure what I want just yet. My brother recommended the Sony DSC-S75 or Canon S30.

Also, is one type of storage better than another? Compact Flash vs Memory stick vs etc..

Thanks.

I bought a couple of months back a Minolta Dimage 7 (5M).
For buying a dig.cam. don't look to much at the pixels, but more at:

- Lens; wide angle to tele, if any.
- Battery life; some are very power consuming
- Battery type; if not standard (like AA), youre screwed if it's empty
- Storage; Go for CompactFlash II definetely.
- Handling (the buttons i mean....);
- Autofocus responsetime;
- Write to media time.

But really at the top should have been: 'What are you going to use the camera for?'

Mich

Check out www.steves-digicams.com for some great reviews. I purchased a new Nikon 995 (3.34 MP) a couple months ago for $469 on the web. (check out cnet.com for vendors) I also think the Minolta S404 is one of the best values out there for a 4 MP camera at $499.

Compact Flash is the way to go. I believe I paid under $40 for a 128mb card on sale at Fry's.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/nikon995.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/s404.html

[This message has been edited by TES (edited 09 July 2002).]

Consumer Reports rated some back in November but they may be dated. The tops in the 3-4 and 2 megapix range were Canon and Olympus.

It seems that every 1 megapix is now priced at about $100 with no frills and extra features.

I am shopping for one too in the 2 megapix range, and found a Konica at Cotsco's in-line store. Comes in 3 megapix too. Glass lens with good f stop, and wide angle/zoom ... lightweight.

Anyone have any experience with Konica.

I just picked up a Minolta Dimage X after it was mentioned on this forum in a thread on road rage. I have other cameras but find that I never use them 'cause I never carry them. The Dimage X is the smallest that I could find and it is awesome! Only 2 megapixel and only a 3x zoom (2x more through digital interpolation) but, hey, I have other cameras for "serious" photography. This thing is great - I just used it on a week long trip and scored lots of points with family by e-mailing pictures every day - and I hate snapshot style photography! With a belt case or slipped in your pocket you never even know you have this thing with you until a "Minolta Moment" comes along. I'm really enjoying it and even my wife is using it.

Edit: forgot to mention that the Dimage X uses SD or MMC cards - smaller than Compact Flash. I paid about $20 each for a couple of 32mb SD cards on Ebay and got the Dimage the same way for $305 instead of the $399 all of the stores want - and, yes, it has a US warranty.
wink.gif

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

[This message has been edited by lemansnsx (edited 10 July 2002).]

I suggest 2.1 megapixels unless you plan on using your digicams for [large] prints -- I'd go for 3.3mp and greater.

Using the 200dpi rule, a 1600x1200 image (2.1mp) will yield an 8x6 print; you might be able to do a larger print going 150dpi, but you might compromise the image quality.

Michael.

Originally posted by mdoan300:
Using the 200dpi rule, a 1600x1200 image (2.1mp) will yield an 8x6 print; you might be able to do a larger print going 150dpi, but you might compromise the image quality.

Michael.

There is a good article on resolution with digital images here.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

Lud,

I read your comments and I have a couple of questions.

1) Why do you hate memory sticks? Is CF a better medium?

2)I was looking at the S30, but the S40 is only $90 more. I think that might be worth 4.1 vs 3.3. What do you think?

Originally posted by lemansnsx:
I just picked up a Minolta Dimage X ...
I have other cameras but find that I never use them 'cause I never carry them. The Dimage X is the smallest that I could find and it is awesome! Only 2 megapixel and only a 3x zoom (2x more through digital interpolation) but, hey, I have other cameras for "serious" photography. This thing is great
I borrowed a friend's Dimage X at a car show recently, and its VERY COOL. Unobtrusive size and quick startup are key pluses. Takes OK pictures too.
biggrin.gif

My "other" camera is also a 2.x MP Olympus (D490 Zoom).

Originally posted by NetViper:
I read your comments and I have a couple of questions.

1) Why do you hate memory sticks? Is CF a better medium?

I hate them because they are proprietary (only Sonys use memory sticks), are more expensive per megabyte, and do not come in high-capacity sizes. I am happy with CF, but the world of CF cards can be tricky. The manufacturers "speed" claims do not really correlate with reality. The most expensive cards are often some of the slowest in the real world, or only really fast in one mode (read OR write) but not both. Be sure to do some research before you buy.

My old Olympus cameras had SmartMedia cards which I never really liked either.. That is probably my biggest grip with the Olympus cameras, which I otherwise like quite a bit. SmartMedia cards are really small, but also do not come in as high capacity as CF and the interface between the card and camera isn't too hot - often I'd have to insert the card several times or clean the gold contact surface with a cloth for it to work correctly.

I have never used a camera with SD/MMC cars but the concept sounds good and you can get fairly high capacity for a bit more $. I HATE swapping memory cards, and except for a few special situations I always take digital photos as the camera's maximum resolution setting and least-lossy compression (or TIF for a photo I REALLY want to keep). I won't use a CF card less than 512MB in my S40.

2)I was looking at the S30, but the S40 is only $90 more. I think that might be worth 4.1 vs 3.3. What do you think?

I thought it was, so I got the S40!

Regarding the Minolta Dimage X - small is definitely good. I almost got a digital Canon Elph instead of the S40 because like the Dimage X it is so small you can literally take it anywhere, but I wasn't really happy the camera after playing around with one a friend owned. I'm sure the local stores stock the Dimage X so I'll have to check it out.

Guys, check MacWorld's website. They have recently reviewed all these cameras and you'll be surprised at all the things that make up digital image quality. Happy reading!

S.L.

Originally posted by Lud:
Regarding the Minolta Dimage X - small is definitely good.

Minolta claim that the Dimage X is the world's smallest, slimmest, and lightest, among digital cameras with a 3X optical zoom as of January 01, 2002. It is worth noting that there *are* smaller digital cameras out there if you *have* to have the smallest. The ones that I have seen, however, do not have removable memory. Also, check out the Kyocera Finecam S3 which *does* have removable memory.
Whatever, I'm very happy with the Dimage X.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

Back