Digital Camera Help Needed

Well I finally got around to buying myself a digital camera. I ended up going with the Casio QV R-40. I liked the small size and the 4MP quality. I bought it online after reading reviews and such so I'm still trying to play around with it. My problem is that all of the pictures I've taken so far look very grainy. I've seen 3MP cameras that had higher quality looking pictures. I've tried a few adjustments (quality level etc.) but they all seem the same. Any ideas on what could make for better pictures? Thanks.

Conor

There are number of things that could contribute to this. True graininess is not caused by anything related to the JPEG compression settings. If you have not already done so, try setting the ISO speed to a lower number or leave it on the automatic setting. Could you upload a sample picture to your gallery? Besides allowing us to look at exactly what you’re describing, the embedded EXIF data will give us a good idea of what your camera is doing.

Last edited:
ctnsupra1 said:
Well I finally got around to buying myself a digital camera. I ended up going with the Casio QV R-40. I liked the small size and the 4MP quality. I bought it online after reading reviews and such so I'm still trying to play around with it. My problem is that all of the pictures I've taken so far look very grainy. I've seen 3MP cameras that had higher quality looking pictures. I've tried a few adjustments (quality level etc.) but they all seem the same. Any ideas on what could make for better pictures? Thanks.

Conor

What were the shooting conditions ?

Was the lighting bad ?

Were your hands shaking during the shot ?

Are the pictures in focus but just grainy ?

Tomorrow, go out in the sunlight and take a few photos of such things as your car, some flowers, a house and a person and then post them here so we can see what you mean.

Set the ISO to 100 and use the fully automatic setting with the highest resoluton setting on the camera.

What resolution are you using and compression ? If you choose 640 x 480 and a high compression and then look at the picture on a PC with a 19 inch monitor with a full screen then the picture will appear grainy ! as it was not meant to be seen at the level.
I use to take pics at a 2.2 MP resolution with little Jpeg compression and print them out at a 8.5" x 11" size for a picture frame, and they looked great ! Now I am using 3.34 MP and can't really tell the difference.. My file size at 3.34 MP in the Jpeg mode with minimum (fine) compression is about 1 MB.
BTW I have a choice of 3 compression modes, Fine, Basic and Normal. This is a Nikon Coolpix 990.

BH

Back