Digital Caliper recommendation?

Tons on the market, they range in value from very cheap to very expensive. Was hoping I can get a recommendation on which would be a good one to purchase. Ideally, one that will fit in areas around the car for me to take measurements (i.e. confirm I have the same spacing on coilovers). I don't need the accuracy level to engineering specifications, but anything is better than me using a measuring tape. :)

I appreciate the help.

I have no personal experience with these, but was in the market for one a year or so ago and found that the Harbor Freight Digital Caliper was highly rated. I remember a guy saying that he put the HF model up against the Starrett models he used at work and found the HF to be within 1/1000 inch +/- to the calibrated Starretts. Based on your requirements, this would be just fine.

They're 50% off today only at Harborfreight.com for $14.99.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-digital-caliper-47257.html

Awesome, I had that one on my list, but being HF and so cheap, I was a bit leery on whether it was a good choice. For $15, its worth a shot. :)

I've been a jeweler/metalsmith for 18 years and use a caliper similar to the one harbor freight sells. It's used to measure everything from large steel rods to tiny diamonds. I get mine from my local jewelry supply $20-40. I feel in this price range they all work very well and are very accurate.

-DREW-

Been a design engineer of 7 years. Use Mitutoyo or Starrett. The difference between the cheap ones and these is that they good out to .000 and read to .0000 THe cheaper ones are only good to .00 and read to .000 That and the more expensive ones will be stiffer to they won't flex while you are measuring things and give an inaccurate reading. You can also get ones that are machine coolant proof too. Also don't rule out dial calipers too. they are just as accurate.

PM captgary

Been a design engineer of 7 years. Use Mitutoyo or Starrett. The difference between the cheap ones and these is that they good out to .000 and read to .0000 THe cheaper ones are only good to .00 and read to .000 That and the more expensive ones will be stiffer to they won't flex while you are measuring things and give an inaccurate reading. You can also get ones that are machine coolant proof too. Also don't rule out dial calipers too. they are just as accurate.

.00 is plenty of detail for me. :)

I've had good luck with my cheapy caliper, which is identical to the harbor freight one, though I didn't buy it from there. I think I paid $10 or $15 and I use it fairly often, probably several hundred times over the years. I need to zero it more often now than I used to, but it is still very accurate. I check it frequently against drill bits, and it always reads to within .002, which is probably the tolerance for the run-of-the-mill drill bits I buy.

Back