different tire brands front/back?

i need to replace tires on a 350z and i'm on a tight budget. i'm looking for
regular economy tires to last long. i'm not racing it or anything.

now, what is the con of having two different tire brands for the front and
the rear? say a falken in the front and a avon in the rear... two random
brands i just thought of. i'm trying to minimize cost at this time.

also, how important is it that i match the speed rating front and back?
can i have a v and a h?

thanks for your help.

jbum

I am not an expert by any stretch of the word but it seems to me that having 2 different brand front and back isnt a big deal as lots of people do it. Having 2 different ratings seems like it could be bad though, either excessive oversteer or excessive understeer depending on the setup. Thats just how it sounds to me.

no!

hmmm, mixin' is bad unless your a bartender or DJ'. Mixing tire/tyre brands on a sports car isn't the most prudent thing to do. At most, it can be a temporary solution for a short period of time. Mismatching rubber for regular use is not only dangerous, but you're also robbing yourself of the thrill & joy that your car is meant to deliver. I'm speaking from firsthand experience. A few bucks extra per wheel goes a long ways. I can relate to having limited funds at times, but it's life. Skip lunch for a week, stay in for a weekend... Voila: quality, MATCHING rubber for your chariot. :cool:

It's not just mixing brands, but even mixing tire models within a brand, that can be a serious problem.

Here's why. Suppose your front tires are a make/model that grips well on dry pavement, but not so well on wet pavement, and your rear tires are exactly the reverse. You may get accustomed to the oversteer that these tires induce on dry pavement, but when you drive on wet pavement, the car handles totally differently.

The same thing can be true with other conditions - for example, one make/model tire may have a wider range of operating temperatures than another, so that the handling may change when the temperature rises or drops.

Don't create a greater risk of an accident, which would cost you a lot more than a set of tires. Use the same make and model tires front and rear.

well, i've decided on all kumho ecsta kh11's front and back.
but they don't make w rated tires for the back. so i'll have v rated tires in the back.

this shouldn't be so bad right? again, this will be a commuter car for a while. no spirited driving even. so again it's 225/50/17 94W and 235/50/17 96V.

yeah, it won't even get close to even 100mph. thanks for the replies. greatly appreciate it. now i can replace them with worries.

Back