different downforce = faster 0-60??

" Saleen has made some small but significant modifications to its $430,000 S7 supercar. The low-slung supercar's rear wing and underbody tunnel have been tweaked to improve downforce. That helps lower 0-60 times to less than 3.0 seconds, said company founder and CEO Steve Saleen."

Why would improving downforce made any difference 0-60? Would that make a bigger difference say 0-150?

Also, looks like the price went up 35K!

He must have some tangible proof to make the 0-60 claim. However, I too have trouble believing that at such low speeds it makes much of a difference.

Downforce in general is good for safety and high speed track handling. If traction was not a problem going 0-150, then more downforce will slow the car down. Although I remember reading about accleration testing for the S7 and a statment indicating there was traction problems in every gear up to 4th or so. If this was accurate, then the 0-150 time would surely be improved as you suggested.

I love that car, but I do wish Saleen used a more advanced engine. I guess it get's the job done though.

Downforce is the corollory to drag. They may have "improved the downforce" by keeping it the same while drag was reduced.

Also if wheelspin was a problem over 60mph aero-derived downforce could improve or eliminate this, adding traction with no additional weight and therefore reducing elapsed times.

WOW, thanks for justifying my purchase of the Taitec Type R Vent hood. I did it for cooling and cosmetic but always great to add reasons to my mod bug/flu.

Tan:D

Back