difference in wieght between a rotory and normal 4/6 cylinder motor

I believe the motor is quite light, but by the time you put two turbos and an aftercooler on it to get some power, like an RX-7, the weight is the same as a small block V8. There is a company in Washington state which does kits to replace RX-7 motors with a small block american V8, and they claim no increase in weight or change in weight distribution.

From looking on the web, base 13B motor, like in an third generation RX-7, weights about 225 lb. This set up will make aroung 160 hp. One thing I think designers like about the Wankle design is this can be turbo charged and produce over 500 hp., the cost is the turbos last less than15,000 miles if you run them hard, and gaskets will blow. The dual turbo set up is quite complex and large, there is over 250 lb. of stuff required to make it all work. When you look at the whole system, I have heard there is around 525 lb. of engine and required equipment.

I was looking at one of these cars before I bought the NSX last year, I saw many cars with less than 30,000 miles which were on their second or third set of turbos. If I bought one, I was looking for a car with a blown motor and was going to drop in an american crate motor.

Lots of cool info on Mazda's site

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/dis...cePowertrain&vehicleCode=RX8#rotaryadvantages

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/rx8/rx8_main_flash.jsp?linksmart=18

Rotary Advantages

In addition to its performance dynamics, the RENESIS rotary engine offers many other benefits. Because the rotors move in a constant circular motion, instead of back-and-forth like pistons and valves, there is very little engine vibration, eliminating the need for counter-weights, balance shafts and other response-slowing compensating systems common to conventional engines. And because it never has to change directions, the rotor’s momentum is never lost, providing a smooth, even distribution of power from start to redline.

The RENESIS engine’s considerably lighter weight and smaller size also enables optimal positioning of the drivetrain without infringing on space that can be designated to driver and passenger comfort.

But don't just take our word for it. the experts have named the RENESIS the 2003 International Engine of the Year.

so there are many benefits to rotory engines...but the only thing that turns me off about them is that you have to rebuild them about every 50k seals gaskets etc or is that not true??? if true then the maintance of a rotory would be far more than a conventional engine..correct??

Back