Difference after removing spare?

Not too much, but you can feel the car squat a lot more under acceleration. In other words, I feel that it does make a substantial difference in weight balance between the front and the rear.

Can you really feel it? "Substantial"? It's such a tiny difference. Spare is about 30 lbs, say 1% of total car weight. Static ride height should be altered by just under 1mm in the front. F/R weight distribution will be affected by less than .5%.

Can you really feel it? "Substantial"? It's such a tiny difference. Spare is about 30 lbs, say 1% of total car weight. Static ride height should be altered by just under 1mm in the front. F/R weight distribution will be affected by less than .5%.

I reduced 20-30lbs in the rear w/ different headers and exhaust and soon test pipes. I do feel more oversteer now from the wt reduction and increased hp. I'm looking to reduce the oversteer if I can by removing the spare.

Don't know if I feel anything, but I believe everything ewight reduction is good... And best thing is, less weight, better fuel economy, isin't it :biggrin: :wink:

I reduced 20-30lbs in the rear w/ different headers and exhaust and soon test pipes. I do feel more oversteer now from the wt reduction and increased hp. I'm looking to reduce the oversteer if I can by removing the spare.
You're getting more oversteer from changing your headers and exhaust (More HP, less weight) in the back? :confused:

I agree, it is a VERY small difference relative to total vehicle weight--which is why I was surprised to feel the difference--but I could definitely feel it. It's not a big difference, and it doesn't really affect handling much (although I don't track my car) but you can feel the car squat more when you get on the gas. Even small changes in weight can affect the car's center of mass to a degree greater than the weight change itself.

However, I didn't feel any performance gains at all. Just that the car tilts aft a little more under acceleration.

You can test it out yourself. It should only take 10 minutes at most to remove the spare tire. It will be easy to do a back-to-back comparison.

Last edited:
Ok... who else thinks that people are full of crap when they say they can notice a change in handling or performance by removing the spare? It is less than 1% of the total car weight. Is it less weight? Yes. Is it enough to be noticable by itself? No.

I have the spare and tools removed,some lighter exhaust ect,and to be honest no difference at the track.Now I do have a set of heavy blingy wheels and light ones and switching betweeen those does change the feel of the car. Any differences you feel with just spare removal are the big placebo.

Well at the risk of causing a much larger argument how much weight (loss) does it take to "feel" a difference in handling/acceleration?

Well at the risk of causing a much larger argument how much weight (loss) does it take to "feel" a difference in handling/acceleration?
Depends on the driver. Some can't feel the difference between a 180lb passenger vs. nothing.

I'll have to put this spare tire 'placebo' myth to the test! :smile:

As Billy said driver feel is everything.I can tell you as Billy will attest that doing hot laps with a 180 lb passenger then getting rid of them and going out again is like night and day.If you can take that same 180lbs out of the car itself ,obviously in converting to a track car, it is an amazing improvement.

I did the same and added some 'go-fast' stickers... now I can hardly control the thing!! :biggrin:

Back