• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

DF license plate backplate quality?

I just got my DF CF license plate area piece. Not real happy with it after trying to install it. It does not sit flush against the bumper around the outside edge and the plate holes are too high, doesn't go up into the bumper as high as it should. Did I get a bad one, anyone else have anything to say about it. It also is really dark, looks like black fiberglass from anymore than 2ft away. Should I ask for a better one or do they all fit and look like this. For almost $150 I think I could make one just as good or better, maybe I will, does DF let you return stuff?
thanks

Maybe Its a just a bad piece, Ive had mine for about 2 years and it sit's perfectly flush. In fact, it looks almost OEM.

I've had mine for quite a while also.
It doesn't fit flush I can tell you that. I can't rememer much about the installation of it though.
It isn't a tinted clearcoat though.
I would say quality/fit/finish of it is 7.5-8 out of 10.

I asked for another one. If it fits the same I think I will find something to attach to the back of the outside lip, to fill the gap. Maybe those door ding edge protectors in black might work. I thought DF had such good quality products, am I wrong?

I got one too from the G.M. at Down Force and it did not fit really good either. The CF backplate was paper thin, and not deep enough for the screws to go in, so I had to use washer/spacers. If you put it too tight, the outer edges will have a gap your bumper. However, if you don't put it tight enough, the edges will start scratching your bumper. I was disappointed too:mad:. If they can't seem to make a $100.00 piece look and fit right, why in the heck would I buy a $1400.00 CF Wing?

I didn't want to complain about it, since there are alot of DF fans out there.

Last edited:
Mine fit reasonably well. I ended up using foam insulation between the plate and my rear bumper to prevent scratching. Tightened everything and no problems. It is pretty dark but that is something I wanted.

Well they said I could send it back for another one but I am starting to think that it will fit the same or worse. I'd almost like to get it firsrt and decide which one is better before I send it back. I played with it a bit and think I can make it look good but it seems like with such low volume they should be able to test fit each part before it goes out so I don't have to do anything but bolt it on. I do like the look of it with my CF plate frame and soon to be CF defuser made from some old CF spoilers I have laying around. After I hack them up and make it look cool I'll post some pics. I am still waiting for my stacy's SS and WW spats to come so I need the spats to finish as it might be molded to them under the tips if they hang down enough.

What spoiler are you using NSX GT? Can't imagine its the DF one after what you said. Look tight, like the dual tips! I am thinking about the Dali type R one but have never heard any reviews on it from anyone.

Last edited:
Well they said I could send it back for another one but I am starting to think that it will fit the same or worse. I'd almost like to get it firsrt and decide which one is better before I send it back. I played with it a bit and think I can make it look good but it seems like with such low volume they should be able to test fit each part before it goes out so I don't have to do anything but bolt it on. I do like the look of it with my CF plate frame and soon to be CF defuser made from some old CF spoilers I have laying around. After I hack them up and make it look cool I'll post some pics. I am still waiting for my stacy's SS and WW spats to come so I need the spats to finish as it might be molded to them under the tips if they hang down enough.

What spoiler are you using NSX GT? Can't imagine its the DF one after what you said. Look tight, like the dual tips! I am thinking about the Dali type R one but have never heard any reviews on it from anyone.

Not sure what type of rear spoiler it is, but I know it's not DF. It has to be one of the first production from Dali or someone. It's about 5-6 years old now.

Regarding CF License plate bezzel: Looks like were not alone out there in regards to fitment issues.

Last edited:
hi guys --

Thank you for your feedback. This is a really nice part that really improves the rear of the car. We want it to reflect the high quality Downforce is known for. We are working on improvements for this part now including adding a trim material to enhance the OEM look. It was also discovered that Honda has changed the license plate mounting holes varying the fit and finish.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Hello every one,

I apologize I did not see this thread:redface: Yes we have very recently found out that the mounting wholes are off by 1/8-1/4 higher on some models still trying to determine what years are what.. on the frame edge we have also found out that some cars are different if they have been taken apart or not . so I am working with SOS on adding a thin rubber seal at the edge to solve the gap and the scratching on the bumper. Guys please feel free to contact me to work these issues out. sometimes the simples parts can get complicated :biggrin:

Last edited:
Hello every one,

I apologize I did not see this thread:redface: Yes we have very recently found out that the mounting wholes are off by 1/8-1/4 higher on some models still trying to determine what years are what.. on the frame edge we have also found out that some cars are different if they have been taken apart or not . so I am working with SOS on adding a thin rubber seal at the edge to solve the gap and the scratching on the bumper. Guys please feel free to contact me to work these issues out. sometimes the simples parts can get complicated :biggrin:

I didn't use mine because fear of scratching the bumper over time.

Well after about 2 hours of fixing it I got it to look pretty good. I had no choice as the bumper was all scratched up around the perimeter from test fitting it. I would suggest applying masking tape around the edges while test fitting it. I had to sand down the outside perimeter of it to get the contour the the bumper right and re-drill all the mounting holes. I would have used some spaces to lower it if I had not scratched the bumper to begin with so you can see it is a little short on the passenger side when fully pushed up into the cavity. I might just paint that red area showing black just to make it flow into the black on the lower valence better. I also added black double side foam tape to the back perimeter to help hold it in place as when you tighten the plate bolts down it wanted to pull the outside edges away from the bumper. I feel it really inproves the looks of the car(especially red/blk) but for the amount of work I had to do to get it to fit it was way overpriced. Hopefully the neccessary changes will be made to make it a bolt on part.

Attachments

• 0801080450a.jpg
    0801080450a.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 0801080449.jpg
    0801080449.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 0801080450.jpg
    0801080450.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 116
Mine fit HORRIBLE and scratched up my rear bumper!

Worst piece I've tried on my NSX by far.

I like mine...

Attachments

• 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 58
Back