DF Hood

I am contemplating getting a DF Hood. I have an option to buy and get it installed for a very low price at a shop that has installed a bunch in the past and say they can get good fitment. The only thing missing is the mesh which the shop says they can recreate with a few different patterns.

My main concern is paint matching. I have Rio Yellow and I have a feeling the paint can't be matched perfectly and it will be visibly apparent every time I look at the car. I've always wanted the hood but this is a concern (and it's a really good shop apparently so I'm sure their work will be top end). Any opinions on this matter?

Absolutely correct. Rio yellow is very difficult to match. I'm no body shop/paint expert though. I've seen a couple NSXs your color and paintwork had to be blended to adjacent panels. If you were to replace your hood, I would believe this (blending) would be a distinct possibility. What's the shop say?

I've had the same issue for Spa Yellow... I have a Hood, Side Skirts, Lip & Mirrors
that need to be painted and 4 out of the 6 High End Body shops have stated that
they would have to blend it. The other 2, both disclosed that they feel they can
get it really close but Will Not Guarantee it to be Exact. Roll of the dice I guess!

I will not allow mine to get Blended as my paint is near perfect currently...

You're in New York. Why not take it to pbassjo who is known to do some of if not the best nsx paint work in the country?

You have Larry B and Joe. Man life is full of difficult decisions but this isn't one :biggrin:

Indeed those are two really good options .... No Brainer on that one if any of them would paint it for you!

I had a local high end painter say that he could match (just about) any color...but it might take two or three test panels ($s).
How perfect is perfect?

DF Hood. The only thing missing is the mesh which the shop says they can recreate with a few different patterns.

If you are talking about a Downforce NSX-R Hood with a duct. It should come with the mesh for the opening. But fitment is something that one can guarantee. I had 2 v1 hoods and 1 v2 hood. Find out if it is a v2 Downforce hood, the fitment is much better.

Rich Wong

Thanks for all the responses. The shop did recommend blending but I don't want to mess with any of the other panels since they look fine.

Also pbjasso is 4 hours from my NY residence but I am in Cali nowadays anyways.

I think if it was black it would be a go but I will probably hold off on yellow because I know it will probably bother me.

OP,

Blending should be fine as long as they have the skill to do it. They will need to blend at least 12 inches into the panels to ensure a good match. As far as fitment goes, the 02+ Hood I purchased fit very well with a tiny amount of adjustment. This compared to my GT One dry carbon hood was almost identical. If paint is really your only concern, I would find out where the exotic car guys take their Ferrari's, Lambo's, etc. Then you will know they do quality work and blending will not be an issue for them.

Back