Detroit fans vs Indiana Pacers

Did you guys see what happened in the Detroit Pistons versus Indiana Pacers game tonight? I am shocked!

Ben Wallace (Pistons) was hard-fouled by Artest (Pacers). Wallace shoves Artest back, harder. Artest moves away, goes to the court side near the bench. A Detroit fan throws a cup full of beer at Artest. Artest jumps into the stands after the fan. Fighting between Artest and fan commence. Ball players come to the stands to calm things down. While ball players are trying to restore order, more fans throw beer, punches etc. Chaos ensues, as several fan/Indiana Pacer fights break out. The whole place is just a crazy free-for-all. Fans throwing beer and bottles at players as they leave to the locker room. More fighting breaks out. The game is called, because there is NO WAY that a game could resume after this.

Ugh. I kinda feel a little like I did when I saw the terrorist attacks on 911. Sometimes I am not proud of humanity.

Last edited:
All I can say is...!It's one of the ugliest scene I've ever seen in pro sports!"

Last edited:
You know that they should do. Ban all alchohol from the events. Sure, it will piss off a lot of people, but a true fan will come to watch the game and not get drunk. I don't care anyway since I don't drink. Those fans that get pissed about it shoudn't come to the game anyway and let true fans have their seats. Either that or make all season ticket holders sign a waiver stating whatever injuries they get when they act stupid is their own fault. That way the players can kick their A++ and not worry about it. Obviously that last part is a joke, but I hate it when fans ruin a sport by acting stupid.

Very difficult to see. Something must be done to isolate the players from the fans. Easy to say but how do they do that in golf?? Will be substantial penalties without question, how much created by the beer tossing fans?

They have these T shirts that they sell near the palace that read.......
"Welcome to Detroit were the weak are killed and eat'n"

I saw everything and i am shocked. I want to know wtf is wrong with the security there.

Indiana players could face charges after brawl with Detroit fans

DETROIT, Michigan (AFP) - The Indiana Pacers (news) lost their cool on and off the court and brawled with unruly Detroit fans during a 97-82 victory over the Pistons in a chaotic game that was halted with less than a minute to go.

In one of the wildest skirmishes in recent National Basketball Association memory, Stephen Jackson, Ron Artest and Jermaine O'Neal all landed haymakers on unruly Detroit fans, who showed their worst side by throwing plastic bottles and chairs at the Pacers.

"That was the ugliest thing I've ever seen in my life as a coach or player," Pistons veteran coach Larry Brown said.

"I'm just embarrassed for our league and disappointed at being a part of this with young people seeing that."

Several Pacers went into the stands to attack fans who had thrown objects. Jackson climbed into the seats and landed a haymaker that floored a fan next to another fan who had thrown a plastic beer bottle at Artest, hitting him in the face.

Fans continued to throw things and verbally taunt members of the Pacers. Several came onto the court and one took a fighting stance against Artest, who dropped him with a punch.

O'Neal ran over and floored another fan with a right. At one point even a Detroit radio announcer got into the melee and a referee suffered a gash in his head after being hit by a bottle.

Former NBA player Bill Walton blamed the Indiana players for reacting to fans' actions.

"You have to prepare yourself for every eventuality," he said. "Yes, the temptation is always there, but the discipline required to become an NBA player, the privilege and honour that goes with being an NBA player, prohibits you from ever crossing that line.

"It was a frightful, devastating experience. There will be major ramifications of this for both teams and this could have a huge impact for the rest of the NBA."

There was some speculation after the game that assault charges would be filed against one or more of the Pacers.

"I don't believe anyone will be arrested tonight," said Tom Wilson, the president of Palace Sports and Entertainment.

Fighting with each other minutes earlier, the Pacers and Pistons quickly teamed up to fight off the fans.

Detroit forward Rasheed Wallace and a radio announcer Rick Mahorn went into the stands to try to intervene. Referee Tommy Nunez was clipped in the head with a thrown bottle, opening a cut.

The game was called, which forced the Pacers to make their way through a gauntlet of angry fans who continued to throw objects.

Players and team officials were showered with beer, soda and popcorn. No players from either team spoke with the media.

"I felt like I was fighting for my life out there," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle told ESPN.

Acquired in the offseason, Jackson is new to this rivalry, which peaked with the Pistons defeating the Pacers in six physical games in last season's Eastern Conference finals before going on to capture the NBA championship.

Artest scored 24 points and initially showed some restraint. With 45 seconds left, he fouled Ben Wallace, who shoved Artest with a chokehold.

Artest walked away but was followed by Wallace, who had to be restrained.

While players from both teams jawed at each other and order was being restored, Artest lay down on the scorer's table when he was hit with the bottle.

"I'm sorry the game had to end this way," Carlisle said. "It was a great game up to that point."

O'Neal had 20 points and 13 rebounds and Austin Croshere scored 15 points for the Pacers, who have won three in a row.

Richard Hamilton scored 20 points and Rasheed Wallace added 19 for the Pistons, who rallied from a 20-point first-half deficit to get within 84-79 with just under eight minutes to go.

O'Neal made a free throw before Croshere sank a three-pointer and Jackson sealed the win.

Indiana held a 36-29 lead before embarking on a 13-0 run fuelled by O'Neal to open a 20-point lead midway through the second quarter.

Pacers-Pistons Brawl a Low Moment for NBA
By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - Players and fans exchanged punches in the stands in one of the worst NBA brawls ever, leaving several people injured and prompting a police investigation.

Indiana's Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson charged into the stands and fought with fans in the final minute of their game against the Detroit Pistons (news) on Friday night, and the brawl forced an early end to the Pacers' 97-82 win.

"I felt like I was fighting for my life out there," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "I'm sorry the game had to end this way."

Officials stopped the game with 45.9 seconds remaining after pushing and shoving between the teams spilled into the stands once fans got involved by throwing things at the players near the scorer's table.

"There's no place in the game for what went on with this incident," said Joe Dumars, the Pistons' president of basketball operations.

After several minutes of players fighting with fans in the stands, a chair, beer, ice and popcorn were thrown at the Pacers as they made their way to the locker room. About a half-dozen people were treated for injuries at the arena in suburban Detroit, one was taken to a hospital by ambulance and another sought treatment, police said Saturday.

"It's the ugliest thing I've seen as a coach or player," said Detroit's Larry Brown, who started coaching in 1972 after his playing career ended.

About three hours after the startling finish, Auburn Hills police walked out of a television trailer with videotapes gathered from various media outlets. Officers interviewed witnesses and planned to talk to the players involved in the melee.

"We'll put it all together, take it to the Oakland County Prosecutors Office and have them review it and they'll decide if there are any charges," Auburn Hills Deputy Chief Jim Mynsberge said. "I hope we can do it before Thanksgiving."

Police would not comment on who might be charged.

It all started when Detroit's Ben Wallace went in for a layup and was fouled hard by Artest from behind. After being fouled, Wallace wheeled around and pushed Artest in the face. The benches emptied and punches were thrown.

As the players continued shoving each other near center court and coaches tried to restore order, Artest sprawled out on his back on the scorer's table, looking relaxed.

Just when it appeared tempers had died down, Artest was struck by a cup thrown from the stands and jumped up and charged into the stands, throwing punches as he climbed over seats.

"He was on top of me, pummeling me," fan Mike Ryan of Clarkston said. "He asked me, `Did you do it?' I said, `No, man. No!'"

Jackson joined Artest in the melee and threw punches at fans, who punched back at them.

Security personnel and ushers tried to break it up. Former Pistons player Rick Mahorn, who was seated courtside as a Detroit radio analyst, tried to stop the brawl in the stands. Detroit's Rasheed Wallace and Indiana's David Harrison were also in or near the stands trying to break up the fights.

Later, a man in a Pistons jersey approached Artest on the court, shouting at him. Artest punched him in the face, knocking him to the floor. Teammate Jermaine O'Neal stepped in and punched another man who joined the scrum.

"The NBA is withholding comment until it can review the incident," NBA spokesman Tim Frank said.

Players from both teams left the arena without comment.

Quentin Richardson of the Phoenix Suns (news) watched the brawl on television.

"I have never seen a fight like that in a game since I was in high school," he said. "Man, there are going to be some lawsuits. You don't think some of those fans aren't going to want some NBA money?"

Police prevented reporters from crossing the loading dock to get to Indiana's locker room or the area where the Pacers' bus was located.

"I'm just embarrassed for our league and disappointed for our young people to see that," Brown said.

Before the contest was stopped, Artest had quite a game and the Pacers were dominating the defending NBA champions in their first meeting since the Eastern Conference finals.

Artest has been involved in some bizarre situations and has been suspended several times by the NBA.

Earlier this month, he was benched for two games for asking Carlisle for time off because of a busy schedule that included promoting a soon-to-be released rap album.

Artest also destroyed TV monitors at Madison Square Garden two years ago and missed the team flight to Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals at Detroit last season.

nsxtasy said:
Indiana players could face charges after brawl with Detroit fans

Former NBA player Bill Walton blamed the Indiana players for reacting to fans' actions.

"You have to prepare yourself for every eventuality," he said. "Yes, the temptation is always there, but the discipline required to become an NBA player, the privilege and honour that goes with being an NBA player, prohibits you from ever crossing that line.

"It was a frightful, devastating experience. There will be major ramifications of this for both teams and this could have a huge impact for the rest of the NBA."

Now I'm not siding with the high school actions of any fans, however...
How long must we put up with professional athletes, who make millions of dollars a year BTW, and have NO SELF CONTROL.

I fear the age of a professional athlete role model is becoming extinct. IMO

A player should not go in the stands for ANY reason, period. The plastic cup that hit Artest that caused him to go haywire wouldn't hurt my 85 yr old grandmother. In my book Artest will never get the benefit of the doubt, he has been a nut case since I can remember and I actually can't believe he still has teammates willing to put their neck on the line to get his back. To me that was the most shocking part of last nights actions.

That was the NBA at its ugliest. Reminds me of European soccer. Man, that is just not tolerable. Fines, suspensions, jail time all around. Fans and players need to stay behind that invisible line.

If Shaq was in the middle, this wouldn't have happened for sure. All he has to do is stare them down.

Look at the bright side, Artest will have lots of time to promote his new CD now. :biggrin:

NBA Suspends Four Players After Brawl

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The National Basketball Association suspended four players on Saturday, one day after one of the worst brawls in North American pro sports history.

Calling Friday night's incident in the final minute of the game between the Indiana Pacers and the Detroit Pistons "shocking, repulsive and inexcusable," NBA commissioner David Stern suspended Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson of Indiana and Detroit's Ben Wallace indefinitely.

Artest, O'Neal and Jackson all threw punches at fans in the melee and will start their suspensions Saturday night when the Pacers play Orlando.

Wallace will begin his suspension on Sunday, when the Pistons play their next game against Charlotte at home.

"This demonstrates why our players must not enter the stands, whatever the provocation or poisonous behavior of people attending the games," Stern said in a statement.

The league added it was continuing to investigate the incident and hoped to conclude its findings by Sunday evening, at which time it expected to announce the length of the suspensions.

Police have also launched an inquiry with a view to possible arrests.

The brawl started after Artest roughly fouled Wallace with 45.9 seconds to go in the game, which the Pacers were leading 97-82.

Wallace responded by pushing Artest in the face, which led to players pushing and shoving near the scorer's table. It appeared things had calmed down but when Artest had liquid thrown over him he bolted into the stands and was followed by Jackson.

Both players threw punches at spectators and O'Neal also punched a fan who ran on to the court.

Television pictures showed players beating fans and terrified, crying children huddling in their parents arms.

The referees called the game off, with the fans continuing to shower the Pacers with beer, ice, popcorn and other debris as they ran to their dressing room.

"I felt like I was fighting for my life out there," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle told the Detroit Free Press. "I'm sorry the game had to end this way. I've been around 20 years and have never seen or been involved in something like that."

Stern's statement called the brawl "a humiliation for everyone associated with the NBA."

Re: Sad day for the NBA. Pacers vs. Pistons

Links are dead, but yeah....it was pretty bad. People take that stuff WAY too seriously.

NBA Suspends Artest for Rest of Season
By CHRIS SHERIDAN, AP Basketball Writer

NEW YORK - Ron Artest was suspended for the rest of the season Sunday, and two of his Indiana Pacers teammates must miss a total of 55 games for fighting with fans during a melee that broke out at the end of a game against the Detroit Pistons.

Overall, the NBA issued some of the harshest penalties in its history by banning nine players for more than 140 games. Artest's suspension is the strongest ever levied for a fight during a game.

"The line is drawn, and my guess is that won't happen again — certainly not by anybody who wants to be associated with our league," commissioner David Stern said.

Indiana's Stephen Jackson was suspended for 30 games and Jermaine O'Neal for 25. Detroit's Ben Wallace — whose shove of Artest after a foul led to the five-minute fracas — drew a six-game ban, while Pacers guard Anthony Johnson got five games.

"I'm sick about that for Indiana. I'm devastated for them," Pistons coach Larry Brown said. "And we lost our heart and soul."

Four players — Indiana's Reggie Miller, and Detroit's Chauncey Billups, Elden Campbell and Derrick Coleman — were suspended one game apiece for leaving the bench during the initial fracas.

All of the suspensions are without pay. Artest will lose approximately $5 million in salary, while O'Neal's suspension will cost him nearly 25 percent of his $14.8 million salary for the current season.

Players union director Billy Hunter, calling the penalties excessive, said an appeal would be filed with Stern on Monday.

"We have to make the point that there are boundaries in our games," Stern said. "One of our boundaries, that have always been immutable, is the boundary that separate the fans from the court. Players cannot lose control and move into the stands."

Artest, O'Neal and Jackson began serving their suspensions Saturday.

"I respect David Stern, but I don't think that he has been fair with me in his situation," Artest said in a statement released by the players' union in which he also expressed his regrets.

Artest's penalty was the most severe because of his checkered history. Artest being provoked into running into the stands by a fan who threw a drink did not appear to be a mitigating factor in Stern's decision.

"It was unanimous, one to nothing," Stern said. "I did not strike from my mind the fact that Ron Artest had been suspended on previous conditions for loss of self-control."

The Pacers will be able to place Artest, O'Neal and Jackson on the suspended list and sign players to take their place. Limited to just six players Saturday, Indiana dropped an 86-83 decision to Orlando.

Billups, Coleman and Campbell served their suspensions Sunday. Wallace will be eligible to return Dec. 3 against San Antonio.

Stern took the unusual step of calling a news conference at Madison Square Garden prior to the Knicks-Cavaliers game to announce the suspensions, commenting that Friday night's fracas represented "the worst" of the 20,000 to 25,000 games he has presided over in his more than two decades as commissioner.

"To watch the out-of-control fans in the stands was disgusting, but it doesn't excuse our players going into the stands," Stern said, promising a wide-ranging review that will encompass everything from security procedures to alcohol sales at arenas.

"We have to do everything possible to redefine the covenant between players and fans, and between fans and fans, and make sure we can play our games in very welcoming and peaceful settings," he said.

The NBA also has to "redefine the bounds of acceptable conduct for fans attending our games and resolve to permanently exclude those who overstep those bounds," Stern said.

For Sunday night's home game against the Charlotte Bobcats — Detroit's first outing since the melee — the Pistons doubled the number of armed police to about 20 in the arena and increased other arena security personnel by about 25 percent.

When some spectators lined up to take pictures with Pistons guard Lindsey Hunter on the court before the game, two police officers stood just a few feet away.

Friday night's brawl was particularly violent, with Artest and Jackson bolting into the stands near center court and throwing punches at fans after debris was tossed at the players.

Later, fans who came onto the court were punched in the face by Artest and O'Neal. Players who entered the stands and tried to act as peacemakers were not penalized.

"The NBA has singled out Jermaine O'Neal in an arbitrary and capricious way," agent Arn Tellem said, faulting the NBA for not considering the players' fear for their own safety.

Pacers co-owner Herb Simon issued a statement saying "We believe that there was a rush to judgment and not enough opportunity for all sides to be heard. We will vigorously support our players in any available appeal process.

All appeals of disciplinary penalties for on-court disturbances are heard by Stern, making it highly unlikely any of the suspensions will be reduced.

Nine people were treated for injuries, and police are investigating possible criminal charges.

Wallace began the fracas by delivering a hard, two-handed shove to Artest after Wallace was fouled on a drive to the basket with 45.9 seconds remaining. After the fight ended, the referees called off the rest of the game.

The initial skirmish wasn't all that bad, with Artest retreating to the scorer's table and lying atop it after Wallace sent him reeling backward. But when a fan tossed a cup at Artest, he stormed into the stands, throwing punches as he climbed over seats.

Jackson joined Artest and threw punches at fans, who punched back. At one point, a chair was tossed into the fray.

"Mr. Jackson was well into the stands, and certainly anyone who watched any television this weekend understood he wasn't going in as a peacemaker," Stern said. "Jermaine, I think it's fair to say, exceeded any bounds of peacemaking with the altercation with the fan in which he was involved.

"His penalty actually would have been harsher if he had succeeded in getting into his stands, which he tried to do but was restrained from."

The most recent example of an NBA player going into the stands and punching a fan came in February 1995, when Vernon Maxwell of the Houston Rockets pummeled a spectator in Portland. The league suspended him for 10 games and fined him $20,000.

Among the harshest non-drug-related penalties in NBA history was a one-year suspension of Latrell Sprewell — later reduced to 68 games — for choking Golden State Warriors coach P.J. Carlesimo at practice.

Kermit Washington of the Los Angeles Lakers drew a 60-day (26-game) suspension in 1977 for a punch that broke the jaw of the Houston Rockets' Rudy Tomjanovich during a game, while Dennis Rodman was suspended 11 games for kicking a courtside cameraman in the groin and six games for head-butting a referee.

Artest was benched for two games earlier this month for asking Pacers coach Rick Carlisle for time off because of a busy schedule that included promoting a rap album.

Artest was suspended twice by the NBA last season, once for leaving the bench during a fracas at a Pacers-Celtics playoff game; the other for elbowing Portland's Derek Anderson. During the 2002-03 season, Artest was suspended five times by the NBA and once by the Pacers for a total of 12 games.

Artest also once grabbed a television camera and smashed it to the ground after a loss to the Knicks two years ago.

Joel said:
Your link directs you to this same thread! :confused: :biggrin:
That was originally in a separate topic. The NSXprime administrator then merged the two topics together.

BTW, our local NBC affiliate has a survey about the suspensions. Here are the current survey results:

Do you agree with the penalties handed down by the NBA against players involved in the Detroit-Indiana brawl?

53% Yes, the suspensions are appropriate
35% No, the players should be suspended longer
9% No, the players should not have been suspended
3% No opinion

While I do think the athletes involved should certainly be held accountable for their (illegal) behavior, I do also believe that sports FANS should show enough self control and respect to not provoke a fight in the first place. In no other place in this country is it OK to throw something at someone else out of anger...it's assault. I don't know what makes it OK for fans to do the same thing to athletes, who are just human afterall. If someone was screaming at me, swearing at me, and throwing crap at me, I'd get pretty pissed off too. I don't think we should hold athletes to a higher standard than everyone else - they aren't diplomats, they just play a game.

AutoEuphoria said:
I do also believe that sports FANS should show enough self control
Agreed. Fans should be quickly ejected. And if harsher action is taken by a fan, formal charges.

But I can't think of ANY reason to get into a fight because of something someone said - or a beer thrown at me.

AutoEuphoria said:
I don't think we should hold athletes to a higher standard than everyone else - they aren't diplomats, they just play a game.
I have to disagree with you on this point. They are paid obscene amounts of money to play in the NBA. They have a responsibility at all times to show good sportsmanship, and be role models on as well as off the court.
Playgrounds across America imitate the athletes of the NBA.

KA-POW!! How do you like to see a 6'11" 250lb man coming right at you full speed?!

slidingpunch.gif

Back