Depinning Relay Box

So in my quest to just fix things I find, I think I have found the issue with my blower relay getting extremely hot. Looks like at some point in the past it got really hot and cause some damage to the wiring on one of the pins. and made the plastic shield brittle exposing some of the wire.

Do you guys know where the tab is on the female connector so I can push the pins out and assess the condition of the wiring / pin

So this is what I assume to be the cause of the resistance / heat of the relay...
20240821_233937.jpg

In researching the forums and glancing through the service manual I couldn't find anything but the female spade connector is locked in by a plastic tab within the housing.

To release it just insert a angled tool to the right side of the connector and push to the left, it should release the tab allowing you to remove the connector.

20240822_183411.jpg

So this is what I assume to be the cause of the resistance / heat of the relay...
View attachment 193340

That would definitely contribute to your blower issues. If you have not already sourced the correct female terminal, Cycle Terminal may be able to set you up with the correct terminal.
He is an NSX owner and member on Prime.

The blue/yellow wire is also looking a little cooked so I would also plan to de pin that terminal, cut back a couple of inches of wire and install a new terminal with some fresh wire.

That would definitely contribute to your blower issues. If you have not already sourced the correct female terminal, Cycle Terminal may be able to set you up with the correct terminal.
He is an NSX owner and member on Prime.

The blue/yellow wire is also looking a little cooked so I would also plan to de pin that terminal, cut back a couple of inches of wire and install a new terminal with some fresh wire.
Yeah that's the plan, I may look at all of them and replace as needed.

Only thing that kinda sucks now is the 2 relays I bought prior to finding the wire issue are likely toast.

Do you happen to know if the box itself is still available or if theres a part number for it @Old Guy?

The blower motor relay base is somewhat compromised, I was able to make it work but I think a replacement may be in order if they are available.

Acura in the US has revised their parts catalog structure / diagrams for the NSX which has effectively flushed my knowledge and ability to easily find parts down the toilet. I can't even find the section that covers the actual wire harnesses. Even on Amayama's web site I could find the relay box cover and relays; but, I could not find the relay box base part number with the sockets. Maybe some other user can help you. Perhaps try your local dealership parts department. They might be at least able to find a part number in the system even if it is discontinued and with a part number you might be able to find it on Amayama's site

If the individual relay sockets are removeable from the relay box, that is probably a shared Honda part used on one hundred + different Honda / Acura models. If it turns out you can't find anything new, if you have a pick and pull salvage yard handy, I would be inclined to take the socket and troll the salvage yard looking for Honda and Acura models of the same vintage to see if they can offer up a replacement socket.

I am thinking that I may want to go out and pull my blower relay and dribble some deoxit in to the socket as preventative maintenance.

Acura in the US has revised their parts catalog structure / diagrams for the NSX which has effectively flushed my knowledge and ability to easily find parts down the toilet. I can't even find the section that covers the actual wire harnesses. Even on Amayama's web site I could find the relay box cover and relays; but, I could not find the relay box base part number with the sockets. Maybe some other user can help you. Perhaps try your local dealership parts department. They might be at least able to find a part number in the system even if it is discontinued and with a part number you might be able to find it on Amayama's site

If the individual relay sockets are removeable from the relay box, that is probably a shared Honda part used on one hundred + different Honda / Acura models. If it turns out you can't find anything new, if you have a pick and pull salvage yard handy, I would be inclined to take the socket and troll the salvage yard looking for Honda and Acura models of the same vintage to see if they can offer up a replacement socket.

I am thinking that I may want to go out and pull my blower relay and dribble some deoxit in to the socket as preventative maintenance.
Yeah, that was going to be my next bet, if not I may just try 3D printing something to make it easier to service this in the future.

If I can get a part number i'll post it up here for reference.

Per Grubbs Acura and Park Place Acura the part itself might only be available with the harness which is discontinued, and the PN provided doesn't show up at all on amayama...

32100-SL0-A20
Superceded PN 32100-SL0-A21

Acura NA HQ gave me this website to try to source older vintage parts

So a 3D printing project might be in the works...

Last edited:
I don't believe they are removeable, but I will double check, right now im trying to see other OEM options that use the same methodology of connecting the harness to the fuse box. I am sure there has to be an OEM option from another honda / acura vehicle that can serve as a replacement.

The 32100 part number provided the key to finding the correct parts diagram on Amayama. It is kind of lost in the tiny details in a tiny picture; but, the relay box is part of the 'front room' wiring harness. Amayama lists a number of versions of 32100 some of which are for European LHD cars and those harnesses might work just fine on the NA market car. If you contacted Mita they might actually be able to source the North American version for you. However, the harness is rather expensive and it would be one hell of a lot of work to replace the harness just to fix a burned terminal.

The parts diagram does not show the box being a part that is separate from the harness so unless you have the $$$ to fork out for a complete front harness you are going to have to work with the existing box.

The 32100 part number provided the key to finding the correct parts diagram on Amayama. It is kind of lost in the tiny details in a tiny picture; but, the relay box is part of the 'front room' wiring harness. Amayama lists a number of versions of 32100 some of which are for European LHD cars and those harnesses might work just fine on the NA market car. If you contacted Mita they might actually be able to source the North American version for you. However, the harness is rather expensive and it would be one hell of a lot of work to replace the harness just to fix a burned terminal.

The parts diagram does not show the box being a part that is separate from the harness so unless you have the $$$ to fork out for a complete front harness you are going to have to work with the existing box.
I think if anything this has made it a good opportunity for me to try to 3d print a box for it. I am sure no one wants to spend 3-4000 dollars (If you do all the labor) on something that is essentially plastic housing for the relays.

The price from Amayama is a lot lower than US Acura. The harness would be around $1300 plus shipping.

I was curious about the box construction so I went out to the garage and had a look at the relay boxes on my 2000. On the 2000, the plastic insert that forms the socket bases is definitely a separate piece(s) that snaps into the box. There were a couple of vacant relay spots in my one box and I was able to insert a screwdriver into the plastic insert and move it back and forth slightly so it is not molded to the box. The bad new is that the insert that forms the socket is not individual for each relay. Some have inserts that form two relay sockets. Unfortunately, on my 2000 the insert for the blower relay looks like it is one molded piece for 6 relays which makes it less likely that you would find a matching piece from some other Honda product in a salvage yard.

I should also retract my comment that one of the other harnesses that Amayama sells for LHD cars might work. During the production run Honda moved the relays to different positions in the box and sometimes switched the relays between the A and B boxes. So, you might get a harness that fits; but, when it comes to plugging relays in you might be in for a nasty surprise. In this case an exact number match is probably required to avoid surprises.

I don't know what year year you're working on, but there has got to be a wreck in a scrap yard with that part. Is there any way to search scrap yards for the right year? Looking at that area, it looks like it would be the same for a '97 through 01? Guessing 91 to 94 similar to each other as well? Hopefully cheaper than buying the new harness. I expect drafting & 3D printing one would be a lengthy process.

I don't know what year year you're working on, but there has got to be a wreck in a scrap yard with that part. Is there any way to search scrap yards for the right year? Looking at that area, it looks like it would be the same for a '97 through 01? Guessing 91 to 94 similar to each other as well? Hopefully cheaper than buying the new harness. I expect drafting & 3D printing one would be a lengthy process.
It would be a lengthy process but at least it's an option. Plus at some point there will be very limited availability.

I'm working on a 91 NSX, and the closest thing i've been able to find is the 91 Legend which has 8 slots for relays

It would be a lengthy process but at least it's an option. Plus at some point there will be very limited availability.

I'm working on a 91 NSX, and the closest thing i've been able to find is the 91 Legend which has 8 slots for relays
Sorry to hear that, and 1991 is the most common year. I'm surprised no-one knows of a wrecked 1991 in a wrecking yard that this could be retrieved from. It doesn't seem like a part that would be damaged in a crash. Best on your quest.

You should reach out to AH Parts in Sacramento. I bet they have a few.

Edit- Lookes like they have a 91 on the lot with an intact relay box. I'd give them a call.

IMG_7461.gif

Last edited:
You might try some ABS cement or epoxy from hardware store to embed new spade connectors in the existing relay box.

I, like @Old Guy, visit junkyards to relive our childhoods, examine engineering implementations, and follow best practices by being cheap. I don't recall finding other relay or fuse boxes like the NSX.

You might try some ABS cement or epoxy from hardware store to embed new spade connectors in the existing relay box.

I, like @Old Guy, visit junkyards to relive our childhoods, examine engineering implementations, and follow best practices by being cheap. I don't recall finding other relay or fuse boxes like the NSX.
Looks like if I get the correct spade connectors they just snap in. the wire that was frayed the tab unfortunately was more brittle than I anticipated so it broke when messing around with it.

When I look at this photo

Relay box insert.jpg

The plastic insert that forms the relay socket looks to be just fine. Don't mess with it. I would source two correct female spade terminals, cut back both the blue/red and blue/yellow wires at least 2", use good uninsulated closed barrel butt connectors (with a separate heat shrink insulating sleeve) to splice replacement wire and crimp new terminals on to the new wires. Insert terminals in to the socket base and be done with it. For insurance, apply a little deoxit to the terminals when you re install the relay.

I would not go looking for a replacement box. There is a high probability that things will get messed up if you try to do more than this minimalist repair. Do the splice and crimps correctly with the correct tool and it will be as good as new.

When I look at this photo

View attachment 193379

The plastic insert that forms the relay socket looks to be just fine. Don't mess with it. I would source two correct female spade terminals, cut back both the blue/red and blue/yellow wires at least 2", use good uninsulated closed barrel butt connectors (with a separate heat shrink insulating sleeve) to splice replacement wire and crimp new terminals on to the new wires. Insert terminals in to the socket base and be done with it. For insurance, apply a little deoxit to the terminals when you re install the relay.

I would not go looking for a replacement box. There is a high probability that things will get messed up if you try to do more than this minimalist repair. Do the splice and crimps correctly with the correct tool and it will be as good as new.
Yeah the damage is on the inside, it's not terrible but it's something I think that should be addressed at some point. And if finding boxes are a pain now they will only get worse over time. I don't think spending the time to have a repair option at this point is a bad idea.

Back