del sol

POWERED by HONDA said:
Mike, what do you miss about your del Sol? I've always wanted one as a mini-NSX-T. Did you like the removable top? What did you miss about it?
i miss the del sol because i was able to make it everything i had always dreamed it could be. i owned it for 8 years and alot of my blood, sweat and tears (and cash) went into the car. i had about 5 engines, 3 turbos, 3 different types of fuel management, 7 different types of wheels, 3 front bumpers, 3 stereos, 3 suspension systems... the list goes on and on. i didn't even want to sell it, but at this stage of my life, having 3 cars isn't really possible... mostly because i have nowhere to put the third car.
i test drove the nsx in november and decided to finally bite the bullet and get the damn thing. that meant i had to sell either the IS or the del sol... and i use the IS for work. oh well. it was an awesome little car. handled like a go-kart, was much faster than the nsx, had a baer brake kit.
regarding the roof... it was nice when it was off. when the roof was on it was very noisy. all sorts of squeeks.... acutally the whole car was like that, but i didn't care. i loved the damn thing... still do.
did i ramble on long enough? :)

oh... one thing the del sol didn't have was the "bling factor."
most people didn't seem to care how fast the car was, or how well it handled. it was still just a del sol to them. that is where the nsx shines.

Wow - how similar are our garages!!!!

I have a Lexus for my daily driver too.

A 3.0 Coupe Red/black NSX.

& a modified Del Sol (CRX VTi in the UK) which I had for a long time before finally getting the NSX.

I considered selling the Sol - but couldn't do it. Huge fun, in a different way to the huge fun in the NSX.

NSX = serious supercar

Sol = manic frantic fun

Both put a grin on my face. I love my NSX - but I still really enjoy going out for a blast in my Sol.

Happy I could help then! :D

Wow - first post too....... bother - I have nothing helpful to say in this one, just halved my 'help' rate!

Errrrmmmmm ...... nope - nothing helpful to add - except that in England we got the electric roof on the Sol, which is cool.... although the manual roof is simple, tis a long reach for an ickle girly. ;)

hey sammy-
do you have the trans top on your sol??
i heard it added about 200 pounds to the car. is that right??
i had mine weighed and it came in at 2450lbs... which isn't too bad. i could have lived with 2600 and a stiffer chassis though.

conrad-
i'd never ignore you man... i think lud moved this because we obviously got waaay off topic.

200lbs!!!!! No way! lol - that's like having a person and half extra in the car! There is not much difference, trust me - I have driven many Sols with and without transtop.

The motor is not big, there is a bit extra metal work (strengthening) behind the second bulkhead in the rear, and a ECU for it..... comes to about 20kgs (45lbs?). Then of course we lose the cradle you have in the manual roof car.

Additionally the extra weight is at the back which for a FWD car isn't bad for adding a little balance! One of my other cars is a stripped out CRX for track use and that is so skittish without any weight at the back. The Sol will out handle it everytime.

Do the US Sols have the upper and lower strut bars front and back? I have driven a fair few open top cars and the Sol is one that doesn't suffer from scuttle as much as lots of others.

Back