Dealer maintenance

Greetings.

As a new NSX owner, I have a question about maintenance. I stopped being a bargain hunter after I got out of college - I've had such mixed results with "Bob the Mechanic" types - and when I started getting maintenance at my local dealer for my daily driver, it was a marked, albeit somewhat pricier improvement.

Does this extend to Acura dealers? Is that where most of you get things done on your NSXs? I guess what I'm asking is, if I just pull into my local Acura dealer and ask for a timing belt and a tune up, can I just drop it off, pay the premium, and drive off with peace of mind?

Or do I need to do more research first?

Thanks!

I take it you bought this car ...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115359

You should find an experienced NSX Tech in your area. Post a thread on the regional forums to find out who people in your area are taking theirs to. I would never pull into any dealer with my NSX for service without knowing who will work on my car. Some Honda certified NSX techs have started their own business and that IMO is the best way to go...their overhead is lower.

Welcome and Congrats on your purchase. :smile:

Ahh, the internet and limited production cars. So hard to keep secrets.

That was a big help - looks like people can't say enough good things about Acura of Brookfield, outside of Milwaukee. Gives me an excuse to go here more often: http://www.safe-house.com/

Thanks!

I take it you bought this car ...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115359

You should find an experienced NSX Tech in your area. Post a thread on the regional forums to find out who people in your area are taking theirs to. I would never pull into any dealer with my NSX for service without knowing who will work on my car. Some Honda certified NSX techs have started their own business and that IMO is the best way to go...their overhead is lower.

Welcome and Congrats on your purchase. :smile:

That was a big help - looks like people can't say enough good things about Acura of Brookfield, outside of Milwaukee. Gives me an excuse to go here more often: http://www.safe-house.com/

Thanks!

Yes Acura of Brookfield has been a great friend of NSX Prime and has an excellent reputation.

Thanks!

Welcome aboard and congrats on buying Dave Taylor's car. He was wiser with his money than John Romero and his nitroused Testarossa or John Carmack's twin turbo F50 :).

"I'm looking for a safehouse" as well :). Love that place, though I've only been there 2 or 3 times when I'm in the Milwaukee area. Probably the most unique bar I've ever seen. One of the funniest stories I have is about the time my friend needed to take a leak so badly his eyes were floating. I kept telling him we'd be at the Safehouse in a few minutes. So when we got there, he didn't know the password (nor did he even expect he'd be asked for one). I left him in the lobby and went in and watched him on camera. They tried to put him through the wringer but he was being a bitch about it so they finally just let him in. He was calling me every sort of name as I laughed my ass off at his expense. He made the mistake of asking me where the bathroom was. I pointed him to the 'mens room' where he proceeded to do something out of bugs bunny, and opened the door and walked into the brick wall behind it. HAHAHAHA!!!!!! I think he almost punched me at that point :).

Last edited:
What makes the whole place worth it for me is that secret exit in the payphone.

George Broussard bought an NSX with his Duke Nukem 3D money, but got rid of it because it was "too slow". He then boosted up a 911 to ridiculous levels, and its transmission promptly twisted itself into a pretzel. Wonder what he's driving these days, Duke Nukem Forever being a decade or so behind schedule and all.

Welcome aboard and congrats on buying Dave Taylor's car. He was wiser with his money than John Romero and his nitroused Testarossa or John Carmack's twin turbo F50 :).

"I'm looking for a safehouse" as well :). Love that place, though I've only been there 2 or 3 times when I'm in the Milwaukee area. Probably the most unique bar I've ever seen. One of the funniest stories I have is about the time my friend needed to take a leak so badly his eyes were floating. I kept telling him we'd be at the Safehouse in a few minutes. So when we got there, he didn't know the password (nor did he even expect he'd be asked for one). I left him in the lobby and went in and watched him on camera. They tried to put him through the wringer but he was being a bitch about it so they finally just let him in. He was calling me every sort of name as I laughed my ass off at his expense. He made the mistake of asking me where the bathroom was. I pointed him to the 'mens room' where he proceeded to do something out of bugs bunny, and opened the door and walked into the brick wall behind it. HAHAHAHA!!!!!! I think he almost punched me at that point :).

Someone responded to me via email regarding this thread. I think it was a new local (MN) NSX owner. I deleted the email by mistake. Please reach out to me again. Thanks.

I took Ken's advice and have been very happy with Woodfield Acura. With such an experienced NSX tech, I didn't see the need to drive out to Brookfield, WI. In fact, myself and another member are going back this spring for our Timing Belt/Water Pump Service. Ask for service advisor Kim. She'll take care of you and make sure Ted works on your car.

You're referring to Ted, at Woodfield Acura in Hoffman Estates (847-519-9550). Yup, he's great. I know he's worked on a lot of NSXs. Mine is only one of them, but he's been working on mine since I bought it there in December 1990. That means he's seen a lot of the common NSX problems just on my own car, fortunately or unfortunately :wink: - everything from replacing ball joints, to installing window fix-it thingies, to installing my Bilstein shocks, to, well, a lot of things, too many to list here. He has also rebuilt NSX engines (NOT mine, but other folks' - I had mine towed to him when I had my engine failure, but in my case it was more cost-effective to replace mine than to rebuild, and he did the swap) and transmissions. And, of course, he's done the preventive maintenance on NSXs many times. He's the best, most experienced NSX mechanic in the Chicago area.

Back