Deal Breakers

So I'm flying out tomorrow to look at, and hopefully drive off in, my new-to-me '96 -T. I admit I'm thinking of me first in this thread, but it could also be a useful tool for people to look at...

What would you consider a deal breaker on an NSX? Example: (mine) A 1996 with 60k miles. It has a Wings West kit, brand new 18/19 rims/ tires, new brakes, 60k service just completed, radiator flushed, OEM wheels with new tires as well, carbon dash, cover, paint said to be 9.5-10, no problems noted. Price ~40k.

Having not seen it yet, the one thing I could figure on is that being the original clutch, it may need replacing (nothing to back that up, but just speculating). I'm okay with that. What could go wrong at the PPI to break the deal? Any thoughts/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(Did a search and only found one half decent thread)

Rob

I''d ask again for the owner to tell you EVERYTHING that is wrong (scratches/chips/mech things) before you do the inspection. If something obvious turns up that he didn't tell you (since you should know what to look for from being on here) I'd have second thoughts. If they really took care of the car they should know almost everything about their car. If they're not being honest with you then I'd think twice. I'd also want to see detailed service records.

Last edited:
Agree with Aero. Get a full description of the condition of every part of the car and maintenance records. If you are still interested, the only real "dealbreaker" left on a car like that is a misrepresented car or dishonest seller.

Things like a worn clutch (if that is an issue with this car) are just items you negotiate price on. Once you install a new clutch the condition of the old one is irrelevant.

Not to make you nervous, but a 9.5 out of 10 is somehow different to different people. I happen to be a freak about exterior condition. I am MUCH more critical than most. A "perfect, mint" car to the seller might be a "nicked up but decent for the year" car to the buyer. This has happened to me a few times on sight out of seen deals in the past. Cross country deals are a bitch.
Good luck with your inspection, I hope it meets your guidelines.

A deal breaker would be if the car was in a major accident - frame work, etc. Internal engine damage would also be a pretty big turn-off. Less expensive things like clutch and maintenance can be negotiated out of the price.

I hope it all works out for you Rob!!!! I'm sure you've been having trouble sleeping this past week. :biggrin:

A real deal breaker would be that if you got there, and there was a "bow tie" on the hood!!! JK :eek:

Back