dancing citroen!

How do you make a car dance? Hire hit making superstar Justin Timberlake’s choreographer, Marty Kudelka, cyber scan a brand new Citroen C4 using lasers to create a perfect 3D model and spend two months using the latest film industry animation techniques as used by the likes of Pixar to create a car/transformer with all the right moves.

The resulting 30 second TV commercial was conceived by the Citroen creative team at agency Euro RSCG’s London office, produced by Spy Films in Toronto, with animation undertaken by Vancouver based post production vfx house, the Embassy.

Set to Jacques Your Body (make me sweat) by electronic dance-pop outfit, Les Rythmes Digitales, Marty Kudelka, with motion sensors placed all over his body to record every move, did 30 separate takes of the dance, one of which is faithfully reproduced by the car/transformer.

"It was certainly an unusual challenge. I tried to imagine myself as a robot with mechanical movements to capture how it would realistically move, which parts would bend and overlap, and then simply let myself go. Effectively, I became a transformer, listened to the music and let the dance flow," said Mr Kudelka.

The animation team, under director Neill Blomkamp of Spy Films, who was acknowledged at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival as best up and coming non-European director, then worked flat out to create a transformer with the moves. "Building a transformer which could believably move like a dancer was the ultimate challenge," said Blomkamp.

"The Citroen C4 is a car which really stands out from the crowd, and it demands an advertising approach which really drives this home as well as leaving the viewer in no doubt that this is the most technologically advanced car in its class. In fact you could say this car is alive with technology," said Alain Favey, Managing Director of Citroen UK Ltd.

I'm definetly a marketing campaign mismatch here, but how on Earth is this commercial supposedly driving young people to the dealer showrooms ?! What exactly message is this commercial trying to make ? :confused:
Even at 20 when seeing such type of commercial, I was even more decided to look elsewhere. These kind of commercials would just drive the point for me that there is absolutely nothing worth with the car alone, hence the irrelevant Riverdance dancing robot (just like Ashley Simpsons' gig on the SNL after they played the wrong song and got caught lip-sync'ing).
Or maybe it's just me, who doesn't get the "cool factor" nowadays anymore... :rolleyes:

apapada said:
I'm definetly a marketing campaign mismatch here, but how on Earth is this commercial supposedly driving young people to the dealer showrooms ?! What exactly message is this commercial trying to make ? :confused:
Even at 20 when seeing such type of commercial, I was even more decided to look elsewhere. These kind of commercials would just drive the point for me that there is absolutely nothing worth with the car alone, hence the irrelevant Riverdance dancing robot (just like Ashley Simpsons' gig on the SNL after they played the wrong song and got caught lip-sync'ing).
Or maybe it's just me, who doesn't get the "cool factor" nowadays anymore... :rolleyes:
I agree. When a product is truly good, there will never be ads shoved in your face to "overcompensate"

like the NSX print ads, for example.
which only showed a twisty road, and the nsxbyacura.com url in very small type at the bottom.

now THAT'S a good ad.

Back