Daily driver got creamed, suggestions for a $15k replacement?

MJK

Legendary Member
I've had a '93 mazda Mx6 since new (v6 5spd), and had not intended on being in the market for another 'utility' car until I got rearended a stoplight last week. The car was in great shape, but is probably going to be totaled. The blue book is pretty low on a car like that, so I am more than a little bummed. Oh well.

I'm looking for a decently fun, reliable milage queen to replace it. Anyone have any suggestions in the 15k range for the same type of car? I've been out of the used car market for a while.

So far I have come up with the following:

a '99 Acura TL
a '98-'00 V6 Accord Coupe
a '97-'99 Acura 3.0 CL
a '99ish Maxima (can get a manual)

Opinions? Others?

Thanks for your wisdom.

Good condition low mile 2.5 RS of the previous generation. (ie better looking). They may not have as much straight line speed, but the grip is insane.

A lot of good condition 240sx S14a's are avail for 15k.

A banged up ITR or a good condition GSR.

You say along the same lines as an Mx6 I think mildly sporty coupe, and all of the above come to mind... not TL's CL's and Max's.

Although out of what you've said, the Maxima is the best car there. Best interior, most well built I believe.

Those 99 TL's have not-so-great trannies, (which the accords share), and squeaks and rattles galore.

If you can deal with the smaller size, a slightly used Mazda MP3 is in that price range I believe.

4speed 99TL's don't have as much problem with the trannies as the later 5speeds. I have not had squeaking issues with mine except for the sunroof and driver's seat belt, both of which were fixed under TSBs.

Sorry my logic behind the 4 door cars wasn't very well said:

1. Insurance:
I've got a ticket on my record, and am single, under 30 etc.. The insurance company loves me. That is fine for a car I am passionate about (like the NSX), but it bugs me for something that is just transportation. The MX6 was ok mostly because of the low value of the car. I've got no problem with cheaper cars (a la the MX6) but I tend to keep cars a long time and don't like buying one that I either don't have a warranty with them or that I don't know the history on. So, since this usually means a more expensive car I was hoping to keep the insurance in check with 4 doors.

2. Space:
The MX6 is about as small as I want to get without throwing in the towel and getting a more pure sports car like an S2000. The accord coupe feels about right on size, and the TLs/Maxes seem a little big. I was hoping to upsize just a little for the airport trips (with coworkers) but still keep some semblace of sportiness.

I think the ITR/GSR is out just because its a little small and (I suspect) high on insurance. The 240 sounds promising, I will have to check that out. I also found an 00 manual Max that doesn't look too bad either (for $16k).

I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited:
I have a 97 maxima and love it. IMO it's a great daily driver and has enough room to comfortably seat 4 adults. Plus, the 00 had more horsepower than 97! :D

White94 said:
I was hoping to keep the insurance in check with 4 doors.

I guess I'm confused, because that doesn't explain why two of your four choices are coupes... :confused:

I think any of the four choices you listed would be fine though.

You can check insurance rates for anything you're considering before you buy the car. It's a good idea; some cars might surprise you (higher or lower than you expected).

FuryNSX said:
4speed 99TL's don't have as much problem with the trannies as the later 5speeds. I have not had squeaking issues with mine except for the sunroof and driver's seat belt, both of which were fixed under TSBs.

I've had the sunroof lubed up twice, I mentioned the TSB and they said "we'll take care of it" it started squeaking another 10k miles later, they said they'd take care of it again. It's been 10k since then and I've since given up.

The same story with the warped rotors, they've replaced them 3 times already, pretty much right on schedule with every 15,000 miles. The last time they had them changed they said it was to better pads that don't warp rotors. I dare you do brake in my car going downhill from 40 mph to 20 mph. it'll send so much vibration through the steering wheel you'd think you were playing a bad force-feedback playstation game.

And rattles? Holy cow, two behind the A/C vents I've tried to get fixed twice, gave up. The seatbelt one that comes back intermittently, both drivers side and passenger side. The passenger side window, which sounds like a glass on metal rattle. And two more from unidentified locations that come back intermittently as well. Also one behind the passenger side footwell/console.

And lastly the tranny: Try telling these guys there's not a problem with the 99 Tranny:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=50274

Some of those guys have had theirs "fixed" 3 times.

Mine slipped hard about 3,000 miles ago and I've been driving it like a granny since. And even now when it downshifts while going uphill it pauses and lurches and makes a very ominously BAD sound. I try to remember to put it in sportshift so it won't downshift while going up some of the steeper uphill grades but I forget every now and then.

Don't get me wrong, the later 5 speeds do have problems, but the 99's do as well. Plus there are a lot more 5 speeds out there than there are 99's since there was only 1 year of them made.

I love my TL and all, but its given me its fair share of headaches.

So anyway, my vote goes to the 99 Maxima.

How about Civic Si? You can have 2002 model for around 15k or maybe less. There are so many left over that you can bargain.

How about a late model Mitsubishi Galant? As far as sedans go, that's one of the better looking ones IMO.

I've been considering a 97+ Prelude Type SH. I like they styling of the cars a great deal, and Honda reliability is always a plus.

On the other hand, i've been considering a Jeep Wrangler/CJ7 with a bucnh of toys on it. Seeing as how i live in Northern MI, land of the snow, a Jeep seems like a good choice to me. Plus they are fun, and it's fun to sit up in a lifted Jeep.

I think any of the cars you have mentioned would be fine, though. Sorry to hear your other car got creamed.

Edit:

Damn the formulas. I bought a 330Ci.

Last edited:
Back