• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Current or past Acura Vigor owners

I'm considering an Acura Vigor as my 17 year old son's first car. I am looking at a 1993 and a 1994 with 176K and 178K respectively.

I have always thought they were nice cars but do not really know much about them.

Are there any inherent problems with the car or things I should pay particular attention to when looking at these cars?

Thanks in advance for your input,

Matt

I'm considering an Acura Vigor as my 17 year old son's first car. I am looking at a 1993 and a 1994 with 176K and 178K respectively.

I have always thought they were nice cars but do not really know much about them.

Are there any inherent problems with the car or things I should pay particular attention to when looking at these cars?

Thanks in advance for your input,

Matt

The A/C fans always go out on them. You have to pull the entire dash to get to it. I'm sure it's been done on one that old though.

I remember having it for a month before flipping it a few times and killed it. But I also remember having a great experience having had it.

I think the Vigor was a 5 cyl right? I can't imagine there would be an abundance of parts available- things like thermostats, radiators, belts, starter motors- those things go out on older cars (even older Hondas). if parts are hard to find it could be problematic for your son.

If i was going to make a recommendation- I had a Lexus ES 300 of similar vintage (96). I bought the car for a song. It had the same V6 as the Camry, so parts were cheap and easy to find- also, it was well constructed. Mine took a rear end impact from an SUV traveling @ 65mph- totaled the car, I was unhurt.

Good luck shopping!

Phil

your price point is probably pretty low,but if it were me I'd be shopping for a used car from the mid 2000's not the 90's.Safety esp airbag technology, brakes, and crash worthiness have improved in that 10 year span.

Hi Matt,
The Vigor has been a great car that I've had for about a decade and I am now at about 195K. My local Acura dealership has serviced it (they call it my other classic) and parts have never been a problem for them and it has been relatively inexpensive to maintain, for ex. a complete timing belt install with parts with them was around $675. The car has been very reliable, starting when it has been -5 or 105 outside. Although it is an oddball with 5 cylinders, as a result it comes with a little extra pep and is a nice 5 seater sedan. I have the GS model with alloy wheels, full leather interior, ABS, SRS, sunroof, power everything, wood panel trim, is easy to get tires for and gets decent gas mileage. If you want to do a little more research, here is the Vigor forum and the VigorClub online. On the VigorClub site you will find places for parts, DIY's with pics contributed by members, and common problems like you requested. Of this list I only experienced 5 of them and the solution was mentioned in the forum.

Back