current NSX vs. 1992 NSX

ttb

Registered Member
Hi,

Know relatively little about the NSX. Interested in knowing the major differences between a 1992 NSX and say a 2000 or 2002 NSX.

In particular how has the handling changed.

Thanks

I don't think the handling has changed a whole lot. Maybe a little more grip on the 2002 17's all around vs 16/17 or 15/16 on a stock 92.

The biggest changes are the 6-speed and 290HP engine. The 2002 also is about 150lbs or so heavier than a 92.

97+ got a bigger motor (c32a) and a 6 speed tranny. They're faster acceleration wise. The 2002's also got a face lift with new headlights, rear and front valence and different rims too i believe.

As far as handling, a 92 NSX outhandles an newer NSX-T because of structural stability. I would imagine a 92 would outhandle a newer coupe too though due to a lighter curb weight, but the newer NSX would make up for the handling difference and then some with the power increase.

By the way, FAQ is your friend. All that could be found there.

Welcome.

thanks for the link. does look like there were some sign. changes, like the differential.

there was a thread about the 3rd. gen. rx-7 vs the nsx and the only article that pitted the two against each other was from 1992/1993, so i wanted to see what changes the nsx has had.

thanks

ttb said:
there was a thread about the 3rd. gen. rx-7 vs the nsx and the only article that pitted the two against each other was from 1992/1993, so i wanted to see what changes the nsx has had.
In comparing a 3rd gen RX-7 against an NSX of the same vintage, you will find that the NSX probably still has its original engine.

Zoom zoom boom.

Pretty funny Ken

nsxtasy said:
In comparing a 3rd gen RX-7 against an NSX of the same vintage, you will find that the NSX probably still has its original engine.

Zoom zoom boom.

ROFL, but because of fewer moving parts it's a quieter boom-;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

ttb said:
yes, less reliable.....but better handling....it's a trade-off :p

I don't think you should be judging the handling of an early model NSX just based on that one test you read.

In the FAQ there are a few handling tests and eventhough the RX7 was absent in all of them, I have a hard time believing it can better the NSX to a point where you feel that reliability can be sacraficed.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/magazines/car9712.htm

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/magazines/car9612.htm

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/magazines/rt9906.htm

nkb said:
Who said the RX7 is a better handling car? What are you basing that statement on?

i'm basing my statement on this

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/magazine_articles/Road&Track_article02.html

Road and Track: Track Test: The Best Handling Sports Cars in America.

Obviously handling is hard to defined because it's both subjective and by the numbers.

That said, 3 of the 6 editors chose the rx-7, the nsx got 1 vote and i think one split.

The rx-7 had the fastest lap time, best latera grip, ties for 2nd in salom (faster than NSX).

now obviously another test on another day might give the title to another car, but this is the only test i've seen that pits the rx-7 against the nsx.

RyRy210 said:
I don't think you should be judging the handling of an early model NSX just based on that one test you read.

In the FAQ there are a few handling tests and eventhough the RX7 was absent in all of them, I have a hard time believing it can better the NSX to a point where you feel that reliability can be sacraficed.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/magazines/car9712.htm

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/magazines/car9612.htm

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/magazines/rt9906.htm

i can sacrifice reliability for the 40k price difference ;)

ttb said:

My friend had an FD3S RX7 and its engine caught fire when he was on the freeway. These are not just little squeaks and rattles we are talking about. There's a reason why there are many lemon sites dedicated to the RX7 on the web.

But seriously, I will never put a pricetag on something as important as safety.

ttb said:
You have an angle on an RX7 for -$10,000? I'll buy as many as you can find.:D

A 91-92 NSX in good shape goes for around $30K, and probably will be much more reliable than a newer RX7. Can't really do the new car comparison, since they don't make the RX7 anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I've always liked the RX7 (looks, performance), but I've heard too many stories to ever consider buying one.

RyRy210 said:
My friend had an FD3S RX7 and its engine caught fire when he was on the freeway. These are not just little squeaks and rattles we are talking about. There's a reason why there are many lemon sites dedicated to the RX7 on the web.

But seriously, I will never put a pricetag on something as important as safety.

IN the RX7's defense, I just recently saw some pictures on this site of an NSX burning on the side of the highway. I don't know if this is a problem that is more prevalent in the RX7, but a busted fuel line can do that to almost any car.

ok, let's try to be fair... a properly maintained RX-7 (FD3S) will not just catch on fire and explode. that said, yes, the FD is sign. less reliable than the NSX but not to the point where it's dangerous to drive!!!!

ttb said:
ok, let's try to be fair... a properly maintained RX-7 (FD3S) will not just catch on fire and explode. that said, yes, the FD is sign. less reliable than the NSX but not to the point where it's dangerous to drive!!!!

I was considering getting an RX7 as a fixer upper cause the rotary engine is very unique indeed. I would never take it on a long trip to vegas per se. However, you gotta admit that the engine problems from the RX7 is so numerous that it has become its signature/trademark IMHO.

There will be bad cars. My toyota Sienna, ranked topped in quality and reliability, is the worst car in my 8 car stable. My BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Infiniti, Acura, Audi, all are better built. I'm not going to say that all Siennas are bad just because I own one a lemon. I might've have gotten one from a bad batch. Quality and reliability tests are all relative anyway. I'm sure for every bad sienna there are thousands of good ones out there. I feel that the RX7 is the complete opposite. There are just too many problems to say that each is an isolated incident. I'm sure there are some well built RX7s out there, but there are very very few.

By the way, it was not a fuel leak, but rather a manufacture defect in the engine itself.

RyRy210 said:
I was considering getting an RX7 as a fixer upper cause the rotary engine is very unique indeed. I would never take it on a long trip to vegas per se. However, you gotta admit that the engine problems from the RX7 is so numerous that it has become its signature/trademark IMHO.

There will be bad cars. My toyota Sienna, ranked topped in quality and reliability, is the worst car in my 8 car stable. My BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Infiniti, Acura, Audi, all are better built. I'm not going to say that all Siennas are bad just because I own one a lemon. I might've have gotten one from a bad batch. Quality and reliability tests are all relative anyway. I'm sure for every bad sienna there are thousands of good ones out there. I feel that the RX7 is the complete opposite. There are just too many problems to say that each is an isolated incident. I'm sure there are some well built RX7s out there, but there are very very few.

By the way, it was not a fuel leak, but rather a manufacture defect in the engine itself.

i'm not debating that the FD is a reliable car. I'm just saying a properly maintained FD is not dangerous to drive as you implied. It will not catch on fire and blow up. I'm not sure what defect in the engine you are talking about. The rotary is unforgiving when it comes to detonation with the apex seals. That's its weak point.

The fuel pulsation damper does tend to leak...this WILL cause fires. There is also a couple of TSB/recalls that were required, so maybe your friend didn't have them done.

But again, a properly maintained FD is not dangerous to drive. That's all I'm saying.

I used to own an FD....my favorite carf I've ever owned...even cooler than my S2000, BUT reliability and quality is an issue...I had to replace my pulsation dampner and luckily I caught it beforre it was too late...while warming up the car one night, I started smelling fuel...I drove it home anyways (10 min. away), next morning I took it to a rotary mechanic. sure it enough it was the PD...he touched it and the rubber diaphram just crumbled away. It was so brittle and dry from all the heat in the engine bay. But, I've always found the Rx-7 to be one of the sexiest cars ever built, even better looking than the NSX. It reminds me of the smaller exotics out there...sorta like the TVR.

Back