Current NSX 2.0 Owners: Question: CCB worth it? or are iron rotors good enough?

RYU told me to post and see what owners thought about both brakes.

I'm in between a totally base car (blue, prox sensors, iron rotors) or a fully decked one with CCB.

trying to see what current owners think

RYU told me to post and see what owners thought about both brakes.

I'm in between a totally base car (blue, prox sensors, iron rotors) or a fully decked one with CCB.

trying to see what current owners think

trying to see what current owners think[/QUOTE]

Whats the price on the iron rotor car vs the CCB car with discounts? All of the other options on the car are cosmetic and do nothing to improve performance of the car with the exception of the brakes. If you track the car and are concerned about fade then maybe its worth it. but on the street you really won't notice it ( at least i didn't on panic stops test)

Take into consideration that with the braking regeneration from the electric motors slowing you down in addition to the brakes ( this was explained to me by NSX tech) then the iron rotors are very good. Tech told me no need for CCB on street.But if you want the latest tech and maybe less maintenance. Depends on the price of cars for me $10k more with a lot of options I don't want no thanks.

Last edited:
If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, it will add value in resale and the no/minimal brake dust is a plus.

However, if you think you'll only have a few years, get whatever you think is worth the price.

Besides the fact that the ceramics are better brakes, they keep your wheels clean so I’m going with them just for that reason.
+1 and they are much lighter. Just for weight saving alone it is worth it. Not to mention looks better. If the ceramic brake option is $9800, what if dealer is willing to discount half of that. Then doesn't seen too bad at all.

Only downside is noisier and your wallet slightly lighter, all my current cars have CCB. In NSX case, not bad at all. Even in other cars not too bad and livable. My previous 2 GTRs eats brakes rotors, and it is not cheap either to replace steel brakes. Best case scenario is $2000~$3000 every 15k miles. I suspect NSX been similar cost. The brake dust is really just torture, one way around it is get ceramic semi metallic pads. Quiet, little to no brake dust, much longer steel brake rotor life span.

FWIW.....Excellence Magazine's take on ceramics (Porsche oriented):

Scan_zpsyw0oxb0s.jpeg~original

I have to Porsches with ceramics I love them for the street, never tracked either car but I suppose if I was doing a lot of track I want the steels anyways..... I would like to have the ceramics and maybe skip on all of the carbon fiber engine covers and fluff....avoiding brake dust is huge

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, it will add value in resale and the no/minimal brake dust is a plus.

However, if you think you'll only have a few years, get whatever you think is worth the price.

As I mentioned to Dan, I'm not sure if some of these extra options will add MUCH to the resale value of the car. I just don't often see used cars sell for much higher than a less optioned version...

As I mentioned to Dan, I'm not sure if some of these extra options will add MUCH to the resale value of the car. I just don't often see used cars sell for much higher than a less optioned version...

i agree thats why I stuck with base trim. Been burned on Porsches and Audis that were optioned.

I think it's basis to demand a little more money when you have extra options that may be desirable, but as we all know the used market is extremely subjective and negotiable in general.

If you aren't a track junkie and show guy, then CCB makes sense.

from a purely braking performance perspective, there is no benefit to carbon brakes on the street. you'll never put enough heat into them...

Agreed, but boy oh boy do they help keep your wheels clean....JM2C

from a purely braking performance perspective, there is no benefit to carbon brakes on the street. you'll never put enough heat into them...

Plus the iron rotors are the exact same setup as the CCB's. 6 piston calipers in the front and 4 piston in the rear only thing diff is weight of discs and material. unlike some manufacturers like Jaguar that give cheap brakes unless you select there CCB option.

Thanks to OP for the original questions, as I had been wondering for some time the difference in performance.

Plus the iron rotors are the exact same setup as the CCB's. 6 piston calipers in the front and 4 piston in the rear only thing diff is weight of discs and material. unlike some manufacturers like Jaguar that give cheap brakes unless you select there CCB option.

And I just thought of your question this morning, whether the calipers were different in the CCB option.

while the calipers may be similar, the rotors are significantly different.

1" larger rotors on the CCB. Steel rotors are not drilled or slotted.

But at $3000 a pop the steel rotors are definitely not cheap. :)

yeah $3k for the special Brembo discs.......... Aren't there some people with 2017 NSX using steel rotors at the track? I though someone on here had a custom solution for people to switch between the carbon ceramic and steel rotors?

That price cannot be correct my NSX tech says you could just replace with CCB for that price if it were true, Also he said the CCB's cannot be resurfaced while the steel rotors can. Realistically steel should last a very long time on the street.

Last edited:
while the calipers may be similar, the rotors are significantly different.

1" larger rotors on the CCB. Steel rotors are not drilled or slotted.

the rotors should be different.. steel rotors vs CCB. Honestly i'm sure there will be some aftermarket rotors like the GTR where it has better grooves.

Agreed, but boy oh boy do they help keep your wheels clean....JM2C

Mehhhhh....not really. I’ve seen quite a few NSXs come through my shop now. All with the CCBs. Wheels are pretty dirty. I’d like to see an iron brake car come in to compare if the brake dust buildup is worse.

That’s interesting could you swap out the iron rotors later on for carbon ceramic rotors if you wanted?

It’s possible. But there would be some hardware that would need to be changed out in the servo brake (brake by wire) system as well. Not a very cheap proposition either.

Back