CTSC Whipple Misfire Help (Story)

Damn car...

Hopefully somebody can help me...My CTSC Whipple on low boost gave me a CEL and TCS light. I was driving when it threw code: P1201,P1202, P1300, so I erased it let the car sit for a day and started to see if it would throw the code again.

Second time around it gave me 7 codes! :eek:

P1201,P1202,P1203,P1204,P1205,P1206, and P1300 so now I have 6 cylinders misfiring?!

Story:
About 6 months back I threw the car on the dyno to check the tq/hp and a/f so to be safe we richend the FMU unit...so the I guess the car was running extra rich.

Situation:
The car idles like a freaking muscle car with cams, smell like sh*t with fuel and just plan lags down the street, I'm hitting full boost when it wasn't throwing a cel, but didn't boost under CEL conditions.

Solution:
So I've been searching prime, I'm going to do the following steps below:
1. Change all plugs to NGK's BKR7E's gapped at .40
2. Check all coil packs
3. Recharge the battery and clean the connectors
4. Check the ESM on the comptech...can somebody point me out to this location?
5. Check the ignitor? <--need help on this one.

Any other inputs?! Any insight would be greatly appreciated, also how can I misfire on 6 Cylinders?

Thanks,

MT

Damn car...

Hopefully somebody can help me...My CTSC Whipple on low boost gave me a CEL and TCS light. I was driving when it threw code: P1201,P1202, P1300, so I erased it let the car sit for a day and started to see if it would throw the code again.

Second time around it gave me 7 codes! :eek:

P1201,P1202,P1203,P1204,P1205,P1206, and P1300 so now I have 6 cylinders misfiring?!

Story:
About 6 months back I threw the car on the dyno to check the tq/hp and a/f so to be safe we richend the FMU unit...so the I guess the car was running extra rich.

Situation:
The car idles like a freaking muscle car with cams, smell like sh*t with fuel and just plan lags down the street, I'm hitting full boost when it wasn't throwing a cel, but didn't boost under CEL conditions.

Solution:
So I've been searching prime, I'm going to do the following steps below:
1. Change all plugs to NGK's BKR7E's gapped at .40
2. Check all coil packs
3. Recharge the battery and clean the connectors
4. Check the ESM on the comptech...can somebody point me out to this location?
5. Check the ignitor? <--need help on this one.

Any other inputs?! Any insight would be greatly appreciated, also how can I misfire on 6 Cylinders?

Thanks,

MT

I assume those codes mean the all the engine is misfiring - which means spark or fuel, or air I suppose, is out of sync.

The easy answer: Take it to a shop and have them look at it. If you drive the car misfiring (as I did in the past with my other car ..:rolleyes:) afiu, that is massive detonation, which is really bad, don't do it, even if it's idleng.

The do-it-yourself-'till-it-breaks (my way..) is:
-First, get the right NGK plugs, and don't do any custom gaping! I'd get heat range 7 - p/n is on SOS's site. Once you taake the plugs out, you can take pictures and that will give you an idea of how the engine is doing.
-If you haven't been driving the car for six months (it's not clear), then the fuel mixture, carbon buildup, fuel injector gunk etc.. could cause some initial sputtering. This may go away over the time but I don't think this is likely though from the sounds of it. It shouldn't be misfiring all over the place.. just might run a little rough. You can throw a fuel system cleaner in there if you want to rule this out.. but in the meantime, you may be doing more engine damage. If you want to be super-super safe, you can drain the fuel tank... just don't smoke :)
-...There's a lot variables. Take some pictures or youtube videos and that can help.

Your ignition most likely has nothing to do with it. If the car starts, ignition works, if it doesn't, it (may not) work.

In short, take it to a shop! Lot's of variables... tow it, not drive it. I know, cost a couple hundred bucks but thousands in engine damage.. detonation adds up FAST - like the govt. collecting debt.

Last edited:
I assume those codes mean the all the engine is misfiring - which means spark or fuel, or air I suppose, is out of sync.

The easy answer: Take it to a shop and have them look at it. If you drive the car misfiring (as I did in the past with my other car ..:rolleyes:) afiu, that is massive detonation, which is really bad, don't do it, even if it's idleng.

The do-it-yourself-'till-it-breaks (my way..) is:
-First, get the right NGK plugs, and don't do any custom gaping! I'd get heat range 7 - p/n is on SOS's site. Once you taake the plugs out, you can take pictures and that will give you an idea of how the engine is doing.
-If you haven't been driving the car for six months (it's not clear), then the fuel mixture, carbon buildup, fuel injector gunk etc.. could cause some initial sputtering. This may go away over the time but I don't think this is likely though from the sounds of it. It shouldn't be misfiring all over the place.. just might run a little rough. You can throw a fuel system cleaner in there if you want to rule this out.. but in the meantime, you may be doing more engine damage. If you want to be super-super safe, you can drain the fuel tank... just don't smoke :)
-...There's a lot variables. Take some pictures or youtube videos and that can help.

Your ignition most likely has nothing to do with it. If the car starts, ignition works, if it doesn't, it (may not) work.

In short, take it to a shop! Lot's of variables... tow it, not drive it. I know, cost a couple hundred bucks but thousands in engine damage.. detonation adds up FAST - like the govt. collecting debt.

Thanks, I'm starting on the plugs and checking the coil packs this week. I don't see how the whole engine is missing..kinda weird. but I'm gonna let her sit and see the plugs.

It looks like I'm having the same problem as NSXRGUY: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119973&highlight=CTSC+Misfire

Last edited:
A malfunctioning igniter can intermittedly cause all kind of weird ignition issues/CEL ignition malfunction codes.
AFAIK it cannot be checked in a simple manner, there is no test instruction to measure it.

Only thing to do is to get/borrow another one and exchange it (is the same on ALL years NSX and I heared also on some other V6 Acura/Honda models).

If after changing, the problems are gone, it was malfunctioning.

It happend on my CTSC car too! Checked/measured just about everything I could think of but couldn't find any problem.
Finally could get another igniter to try.....exchanged it......problems gone.
Later heared that the igniter intermittedly giving up showing detonation CEL codes is a known issue.

A malfunctioning igniter can intermittedly cause all kind of weird ignition issues/CEL ignition malfunction codes.
AFAIK it cannot be checked in a simple manner, there is no test instruction to measure it.

Only thing to do is to get/borrow another one and exchange it (is the same on ALL years NSX and I heared also on some other V6 Acura/Honda models).

If after changing, the problems are gone, it was malfunctioning.

It happend on my CTSC car too! Checked/measured just about everything I could think of but couldn't find any problem.
Finally could get another igniter to try.....exchanged it......problems gone.
Later heared that the igniter intermittedly giving up showing detonation CEL codes is a known issue.

Thanks RS, I was reading your problem too on the search, I'll try to source out another igniter.

I'm currently having the same issues. Not much misfiring unless i leave it at idle for long periods as if there is not enough fuel being delivered as giving it gas makes it go away. Also, i think it may be a vacum leak as i recently dyno'd it at 225hp:confused:. I'll update on this post if i figure out what the cause is. I think it's probally the ESM so i'm going to use an AEM FIC as well now for better management.

Back