Ctsc Kit

Does anyone know the difference between the CTSC Targa and Non-Targa kits?

I've come to the understanding, wrong or not, that the only difference between the two kits has to do with the engine cover and the brace.

Since I've no intention of using an engine cover at all, and I can get a brace from a different vendor for much cheaper than the difference in price of the two kits. I'd be an idiot to buy the targa kit, wouldn't I?

I'm thinking about buying the non targa kit and ordering a brace from SOS as a result.

Let me know if my thinking is flawed.

Is there anything negative about running no engine cover?
I guess the obvious is that you can't store the targa top.
I am contemplating the same.

Shumdit said:
Ghost Rider, I think the negatives have been discussed before if you do a search. It mostly has to do with cleaning the rear window more often, and of course you may want to dress up the motor!

Net, SOS has 2 bars that are supposed to work with the CTSC or BBSC

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ.../ScienceofSpeed/shock_tower_brace/default.asp

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exterior_performance_products/NSX/Okuyama/shock_tower_bar/

Our good friend MJ may have something also.

I might be wrong, but none of those bars are what is needed for a 95+ T. You need a triangle Brace.

139001_installed.jpg

"Need" is the operative word there Net. Many people are not running a Triangular brace with the BBSC or the CTSC IIRC. Also, there are some Triangular ones out there for much less than the difference between the coupe and kit CTSC price, or you could buy the CTSC one and still save a few hundred over what buying the kit with the roof pouch included would cost.

MOST other triangular ones wont fit, as the area near the pulley is shortened to make room for the pulley. So its like a triangle with the right side chopped off a bit (looking from rear of car) I am sure you wont have any problems with a non-tri-angular or straight across brace like the earlier models have

GHOSTRIDER said:
Is there anything negative about running no engine cover?
I guess the obvious is that you can't store the targa top.
I am contemplating the same.

I bought the non-targa version because i was able to buy the CT strut bar dirt cheap from someone else. If you don't buy the CT strut bar, you must find one that will accomodate the CTSC or else you'd have to modify the strutbar. Also i did it because i wanted to show the motor. Now as fas the top is concerned, it fits snuggly inside the truck. So i saved $1500, which was then used to buy other parts! :biggrin:

donwon said:
MOST other triangular ones wont fit, as the area near the pulley is shortened to make room for the pulley. So its like a triangle with the right side chopped off a bit (looking from rear of car) I am sure you wont have any problems with a non-tri-angular or straight across brace like the earlier models have

Where would be a good place to get ahold of one of those?

Thanks.

I thought the triangle bar was made for the NSX-T to keep it stiffer because the top is chopped. Wouldn't going with a straight bar make the car weaker?

^^^ I was told, perhaps incorrectly, that the triangular bar for the targa cars was principally to support the weight of the clam with the roof in it.

Anyone know definatively?

I would think that the triangular bar was to stiffen the chassis, but I do not think there is a compelling reason that one of the better designs from SOS or others would not work just as well, since the OEM one is almost a joke to me.

I think the billet aluminum one is much nicer...

I believe from reading MarkB's website it was off the Comptech show car and he lucked out and got it.

Is the CTSC kit for the "fly by wire" 3.0 kits (1995-1996) the same as the 1991-1994 3.0 kit with the only exception being the Targa bag and the brace? There are no other differences for the OBDII and fly by wire of the 95-96?

Yes, there are 4 kits basically.
The 3.0 kits for 91-94 coupes
The 3.0 kits for 95-96 Targas (which is mechanically identical, with the addition of engine cover piece and the strut bar)
The 3.2 kits for 97-05 coupes (yes I know there are no US coupes after 01, but it's not my terminology)
The 3.2 kits for 97-05 Targas (which is mechanically identical, with the addition of engine cover piece and the strut bar)

So, if you want to modify your stock engine cover (or not run one at all) on a Targa, and either ante up some $$ for the Comptech or other suitable strut brace you can order the coupe kit instead, which as others have mentioned is a good bit less expensive.

The CTSC has different size pulley's depending on the size of the engine.

It appears that a 3.2L = 3.8" pulley and 3.0L = 4.2" pulley.*

You can convert the kit from one year to another. I pulled a used CTSC off of a ~2000 NSX and put it on my 1991 NSX. The air-bypass adapter/kit is $150 that replaces the block off kit.

Drew
*Which means that you can probably make a 7lb for you 3.0L by getting a newer style pulley.

Back