Ctsc Braided Fuel Hose Blows Up

Anyone had issues with braided fuel hoses on a CTSC car leaking or blowing up and spewing gas everywhere? My hose between the FPR and the fuel rail seems to be spewing gas really bad... Luckily I noticed it before taking off in it last time I cranked the NSX. If I turn key but don't crank the car it leaks... that is how I tracked down where the leak was coming from without catching anything on fire. I think I'll go ahead and replace all the braided stainless steel hoses while I'm at it. If you've had issues and have had to switch... what are you guys using? If I go buy the hoses... can I get them at an auto store or are they something special... any idea what diameter they are? How do I know how to get the right size? Are fittings special on the FPR points of contact and is the hose connected to the fittings? I just don't know if I need hoses.. or new hoses and new fittings. I'm not sure if I can use more oem or honda hoses with teth ctsc unit that imght be more reliable/safer? I hear the braided stainless hoses have limited life anyway... Can someone weigh in on all this for me? Shed some light. I know nada about hoses. Also... is it easy to replace these hoses? I'm not sure how one would do it without leaking fuel everywhere. My brother is an electrical engineer... I'm sure he'll be doing the labor as the car can't be driven to anyone to be fixed and it can't be towed b/c of the wide body kit and the low heigth of the car.

Thanks in advance!

its easy, just unbolt the old abd replace, use a towel to wipe/catch the little fuel that will leak out...its not a lot.

FWIW i know of a blue car that burned to the ground because on this problem

the silver braided fuel hoses are prone to wearing on the inside (and you don't see the leak) until it comes through the metai braid. if you are lucky you just have a fuel leak, if you are unlucky this can be catastrophic.

these are wear items and i would advise anyone with a comptech supercharger that is running the silver braded hoses to do a fuel line change as soon as possible.
thanks

The newer kits ship with different black braided fuel line FWIW.

My autorotor came with a defective fuel line. It took all of 3 days before I started to smell gas. I found the issue and CT overnighted me a line.

Add me to the list.

Dropping my daughter off at preschool today (special treat, not a daily driver) and was overwhelmed by the smell of fuel when we got out. Opening the hatch revealed fuel puddled all over the CF fuel rail cover and rear valve cover. Started the car and sure enough, there was a drip-drip-drip coming off the hose between the FPR and OEM hard-line return to the tank.

Called AAA (cover first 4 miles of a tow, I live 3.5 miles away) and they said someone would be there in about an hour but I had to get an OK from the fire department before they would tow something with a fuel leak. Fire station is literally across the street so I wandered over and their hasmat guy came back with me. Fuel had evaporated by then so I started the car and...nothing. He said he could see where the fuel had been, to tell AAA it is fine to tow (he agreed that this rule was silly), and that I might even consider driving it home.

I did just that (very easy so as to not get into higher fuel pump speeds) and it was still dry when I arrived home. Tonight I wanted to confirm the source of the leak (host itself, not loose connection), opened the hatch, started the car, looked back there, and saw a stream of fuel. After 10 second of running there was an 18" puddle of fuel on my garage floor, the CF rail cover was covered, and the timing belt cover was covered.

Looks like a new set of black lines is in my future...and in retrospect I probably should have waited for the tow.

For reference I should probably note that my CTSC kit has been on the car something like 12 years / 20k miles.

Last edited:
I have not had any issues with my CTSC so far, was installed in 2002. For those that have made this repair to the fuel line, is it as simple as calling Comptech and asking to order a replacement? I have the older whipple BTW. I think it would be nice to have a sticky about any possible issues and fixes for all CTSC's.

Thanks,
Jason

I have not had any issues with my CTSC so far, was installed in 2002. For those that have made this repair to the fuel line, is it as simple as calling Comptech and asking to order a replacement? I have the older whipple BTW. I think it would be nice to have a sticky about any possible issues and fixes for all CTSC's.

Thanks,
Jason

There has to be a speed shop near you, almost all carry AN fittings and Fuel Hose. Find a speed shop near you go look at your options, there are so many different styles and colors think of it as a functional fashion accesory for your engine compartment. If you take the car to almost any local shop they will be able to take the old lines off, make the new lines in minutes and install them back on your car. In my mind unless it is a warranty issue there is no reason to get CT involved. This is a simple easy repair.

Dave

There has to be a speed shop near you, almost all carry AN fittings and Fuel Hose. Find a speed shop near you go look at your options, there are so many different styles and colors think of it as a functional fashion accesory for your engine compartment. If you take the car to almost any local shop they will be able to take the old lines off, make the new lines in minutes and install them back on your car. In my mind unless it is a warranty issue there is no reason to get CT involved. This is a simple easy repair.

Dave

It's probably useful to also note that the fittings themselves should be reusable. The hardest part to building these types of lines is cutting the hose cleanly, and even that's easy with the right equipment.

J

Dave,

Any place to get OEM-quality lines...ones that will last 100 years, not 12?

Russell makes a AN crimp style fitting that looks more like an OE fitting, no fuel line that is under high pressure is designed to last 100 years. The issue is not likely quality but the environment, our engine bays run hot add the CTSC and they are even hotter, there is little stress on these two lines as they are routed with lots of slack, this is one of the downfalls of the CT fuel system and the high fuel pressures that the system is required to run with the stock injectors.

http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/hose_ends/pc_crimp_hose_ends.shtml

The other thing to consider is the hose it self, the only hose I could find on Russell that had a higher temp rating is this one:

http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/hose/proflex_prorace.shtml

Dave

Dave, Thanks for the info.

Earlier this week I ordered a full set of new CTSC lines from CT-Engineering (part #s 816-00[1-4]). For me this was the most-direct means to replace the lines (don't have to take the car anywhere, measure anything, etc). Only negative is that I will need to relocate the FPR...which could also be a positive.

Looking for a longer lifetime I also wondered about the use of hard lines for this, but the engine does move a little so probably not appropriate (and I don't have the patience to pursue).

Earlier this week I ordered a full set of new CTSC lines from CT-Engineering (part #s 816-00[1-4]). For me this was the most-direct means to replace the lines (don't have to take the car anywhere, measure anything, etc). Only negative is that I will need to relocate the FPR...which could also be a positive.

Here is an idea for you, once your new lines arrive and you have the old ones off, take them to a local shop, have them replace the hose parts and reuse the existing fittings, then sell the rebuilt lines in the forums and maybe you can get some of the cost of the new lines back.

Dave

I've had good look with the aeroquip and startlite hose. It's a dream to work with.

Change out to braided teflon lines. The standard synthetic AN hoses are fuel "compatible" but will dry out/ crack after a few years. Good luck.

Best Regards,

Danny

Lowellhigh has the correct answer for this. :smile: I use to work at a speed shop in the Sacramento area and we had access to all the major braided hoses and I have provided the parts and even fabricated major oil and fuel hoses for customers throughout California. I decided to upgrade my fuel going from the fuel filter banjo fitting (which I modified to a -6 AN male fitting on one end) and then I created a -6 stainless braided fuel resistant hose from Earl's for the main line. I ran the car and check for leaks and had none. Over a few weeks after running the car I kept noticing a fuel smell and after some checking I noticed it was coming from this new hose. I then fabricated another hose setup using the same braided hose. Within a few days, the smell came back. I could detect no leaks but I surmised that the fuel under pressure was bleeding through the hose material and out slowly through the braid and into the air. I finally fabricated a -6 teflon hose and the fuel smell disappeared. Even though the other hoses were rated for oil and numerous fuels, they gave off that fuel odor. The teflon hose is not affected by any fuel types and seems to be the trick for this installation.

If you decide to make your own lines I highly recommend using a Koul Tool and aluminum vise jaw inserts. Also, if you decide to get new fittings, the crossover line under the throttle body and the line from the FPR to the rail are 1/4" NPT fittings (that require teflon tape on the threads) and not AN fittings (which don't).

In case anyone is curious, the current hoses provided by CT-Engineering are Aeroquip FC598-06 socketless hoses (with socketless connectors).

6187271631_3049b65f4e_z.jpg

Reading around a couple other forums I understand this hose is rated at -40 to 300F and 250psi (though only to 200F for gasoline). The same-brand teflon hose (with crimped connectors) is rated -100 to 450F and 1200psi (not sure if different for gasoline). Some people seem to be concerned about the 200F temperature rating of the FC598 in combination with hot engine compartments.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Products...uipPerformanceProducts/HoseProducts/index.htm

In an email exchange with LarryB (long before I read those stats) about my failure his first question was, "Do you have aftermarket headers?" He suspects higher engine compartment temps shortened the lifetime of my previous set of hoses (NOT the Aeroquip FC598). May be another good reason to ceramic coat our headers and/or use heat shield/wrap/blanket strategically and/or use Teflon fuel hoses.

I do also wonder if the externally braided hoses have a higher rate of failure because the stainless steel is collecting and transferring the engine compartment heat into the hose much more than a non-metal exterior would.

Last edited:
Also, if you decide to get new fittings, the crossover line under the throttle body and the line from the FPR to the rail are 1/4" NPT fittings (that require teflon tape on the threads) and not AN fittings (which don't).

Where fuel enters the rails there is a banjo fitting (same for where it exits the filter). At the three locations you mention there are NPT fittings. However, at all five the banjo/NPT fitting has an AN fitting on its other half (where you attach hose). Think of them as AN-to-NPT and AN-to-banjo adapters. So if I'm just replacing the hoses I'll only be dealing with AN fittings (no Teflon tape). See picture in my last post (all AN fittings except the tank return).

Last edited:
Right, it would only be a concern if you were purchasing new fittings, for instance, if your old fittings were scratched & nasty-looking.

I made a new set of braided stainless lines when I installed my CTSC. I have a list of all the necessary fittings, if anyone is interested LMK & I'll post it up.

Can someone post pictures of where this hose is/connected too? Sorry, CTSC noobie here and I need to change my hoses too.

Can someone post pictures of where this hose is/connected too? Sorry, CTSC noobie here and I need to change my hoses too.
http://mosquitomagnet.hostoi.com/ctsc/CTSC Install Guide Autorotor 2.3.2006.pdf

On bottom of page 2 you'll see the one between the fuel rails under the intake snout. Page 5, step 7, shows the others.

If like me your banjo bolt fitting is facing the wrong way you'll want to order two new crush washers (90428-PD6-003) so you can move that for installing the new fuel supply line. If you think it is time for a new fuel filter they come with that. Numbers 17 (washers) and 1 (filter with washers, etc) here:
http://www.oemacuraparts.com/index....=PARTS&component=CANISTER+-+FUEL+STRAINER+(1)

Last edited:
Back